Sign in to follow this  
Maritimus

I RULE. Everybody else is a fool

Ok, so I started reading Ernest Hemingway's "The Sun Also Rises" and after 30 pages or so I had this funny idea that the way Hemingway writes would be perfect for a character like Deadpool - a condescending, self-centered, know-it-all, tough guy. The main character and narrator of "The Sun Also Rises" is that type of a character in a way, at least so far. I am wondering.. If you could give any writer, living or dead, any comic book character to write and absolutely nail, who would it be? My vote goes for Ernest Hemingway on "Deadpool". What is yours?

That's the most bizarre idea I've ever heard....

I'd pair up Jorge Luis Borges with someone like Spectre.

Jean-Paul Sartre on Phantom Stranger.

Aleister Crowley on Dr. Strange...all the magic, plus lots more sex and drugs.

I'd also go with George Berkeley on Daredevil.

Phillp Jose Farmer writing any of the science fiction stories from comics. He would be awesome on something like Flash Gordon or The New Gods or anything where he could slip in some Zeppelins and immortality and alien sex.

That's the most bizarre idea I've ever heard....

Aleister Crowley on Dr. Strange...all the magic, plus lots more sex and drugs.

Thank You.

Crowley on Dr. Strange.. seems like a match to me!

Plato on Uncanny X-Men: Year One - that stuff about schooling the youngsters in the Republic.. let him school the superhumans!

Plato on Uncanny X-Men: Year One - that stuff about schooling the youngsters in the Republic.. let him school the superhumans!

But Plato would be on Magneto's side surely? What with the idea of philosopher kings and the rejection of democracy and all?

I'd go for Dion Fortune on Doctor Strange, rather than Crowley: his fiction is pretty abominable, whereas Fortune could at least paste up two dimensional characters who worked in context.

(Steve Ericksson might be good as well...)

A few more that spring to mind:

Robert Irwin on Hellblazer

Chester Himes on Black Panther

Mickey Spillane on Batman

Tanith Lee on (Grant Morrison's) Shining Knight

Alastair Reynolds on the Fantastic Four

Robert Holdstock on Hawkman

Edgar Rice Burroughs on Hawkman

Maxwell Grant (Walter Gibson) on Batman

Alexandre Dumas on Green Arrow

Mark Twain on Howard the Duck

Mary Shelly on Swamp Thing

Jules Verne on Fantastic Four

a condescending, self-centered, know-it-all, tough guy.

Poor Jake. He was just sad because the war was over.

I'd go for Dion Fortune on Doctor Strange, rather than Crowley: his fiction is pretty abominable

I don't know if I'd prefer Strange to be a histrionic quote-dropping macho pussymagnet or have him slowly browbeaten to death by The Ancient One's priggish but well-meaning needling.

Alfred Bester on Superman

Bram Stoker on Dr Fate

ETA

Rudy Rucker on Booster Gold

Fritz Leiber on Zatanna

This is going to bug me all day!

But Plato would be on Magneto's side surely? What with the idea of philosopher kings and the rejection of democracy and all?

Good point! Although i doubt he would give it to Magneto, because Plato opposes the idea of giving power to those who want it, and Magneto clearly wants it.. I think he would make someone like Beast the leader - or Jean Grey maybe - because he was also about equality

a condescending, self-centered, know-it-all, tough guy.

Poor Jake. He was just sad because the war was over.

Hey, it's not all bad, right? Jake/Deadpool is still a hero with a large readership.

Verne on Fantastic Four - now that is a Fantastic Four story i want to read!

Also, gotta give Edgar Allan Poe an issue of Batman to write..

Poe on Hellblazer

Also...Bradbury on Fantastic Four.

H.G. Wells or Jules Verne would do well for Iron Man

Alfred Bester on Green Lantern. He wrote the oath so why not a whole story.

Lovecraft on BPRD, with art by Hieronymus Bosch..

also can't get Albrecht Durer Gustav Dore on Batman out of my head. But that's another thread..

William Gibson on Blue Beetle II

Also, gotta give Edgar Allan Poe an issue of Batman to write..

I'd like to see him do a "Gotham By Gaslight" type story

I'd go for Dion Fortune on Doctor Strange, rather than Crowley: his fiction is pretty abominable, whereas Fortune could at least paste up two dimensional characters who worked in context.

(Steve Ericksson might be good as well...)

Actually, Crowley's early short-fiction work, when he was totally trying to be a Symbolist, only using a lot of occult allusions, was pretty damn good.

His novels were dreadful, on the other hand.

I'd like to see Philip Dick on Fantastic Four.

Claude McKay on Luke Cage.

Good point! Although i doubt he would give it to Magneto, because Plato opposes the idea of giving power to those who want it, and Magneto clearly wants it.. I think he would make someone like Beast the leader - or Jean Grey maybe - because he was also about equality

Now, I'm playing pedant...

Plato's view of "sexual equality" wasn't exactly the same as modern feminism.

He believed that women should be better treated, and that they were very useful for society, and he was writing against Sparta in most of his work, but he didn't believe females were the equals of men.

He was much better about equality than Aristotle, as he saw that females could learn as well as males.

But, Plato believed that only males were created by the gods, therefore only males had souls, and that womanhood was a fallen state.

He wouldn't have spoken up for females in a leadership role.

Fair enough. Moonchild put me off ever looking at any more fiction he shat out, if I'm honest about this.

(His fucking poetry stinks like a dead dog's arse on a sunny August day as well...)

You people do know that Alfred Bester did write a lot of Superman back in the early '50s? Along with Green Lantern, that was his other main gig at DC. (I think he did some Starman as well...)

I didn't know that Dog. I thought Bester was friends or something with a writer @ DC and helped write the GL oath

Howabout...Vonnegut on Shade: The Changing Man or Fourth World

or

Philip K Dick on Human Target. Or a Vision solo book? Maybe Machine Man. (see the theme here)

You people do know that Alfred Bester did write a lot of Superman back in the early '50s?

Yes, for I WAS HIS EDITOR.

Okay, not really. But I'd heard he was given consideration for the job of writing Superman: The Movie and I wish I'd seen that. I don't know if we'll ever have the truth of the matter, but I've also heard that the Green Lantern Oath was actually not his creation.

I forget the controversy around that, but it's a fabrication. He did create the oath.

It's recorded for all posterity in the pages of an issue of Green Lantern Corps from the 1980s written by Engelhart, which is how I know.

The issue came out around the same time as Bester's death, and the editor included an eulogy for Bester, where he cleared it all up, and Bester is canonically the creator of the oath.

Oh, I just thought of another good pairing!

Thomas De Quincey on Ant Man..think about it. Pym had to take a pill in order to gain his powers...in the '80s, they had that story-arc where Pym had become an addict. heh

Lewis Carroll would also be appropriate (Giant Man and the Wasp incarnation), but only from a more psychedelic perspective. "One pill makes him taller, and one pill makes her smaller".

Oh god...I'm missing one of my favourite writers, Algernon Blackwood on Swamp Thing! That's so pefect.

Now, I'm playing pedant...

Plato's view of "sexual equality" wasn't exactly the same as modern feminism.

He believed that women should be better treated, and that they were very useful for society, and he was writing against Sparta in most of his work, but he didn't believe females were the equals of men.

He was much better about equality than Aristotle, as he saw that females could learn as well as males.

But, Plato believed that only males were created by the gods, therefore only males had souls, and that womanhood was a fallen state.

He wouldn't have spoken up for females in a leadership role.

Ok, even if you are being pedantic, it's right to be so in this case. To be more correct (and pedantic myself) perhaps i should say that the script would be by Plato, but the plotter/co-writer would be Socrates. I was basing my thinking around The Republic - which as we know gives the account of Socrates' dialogues as seen by Plato. It's not necessarily his own point of view. So Plot: Socrates Script:Plato. In my recollection Socrates gives males and females equal potential to become what they are most fit to. I don't know as much about Plato's ideas on the topic.

All I know is that Socrates being killed messed up Plato and Aristotle...and that was bad for the rest of Western civilization, pretty much.

Maybe Plato should try his hand at Sub-Mariner, since he was the first one to write about Atlantis.

I didn't know that Dog. I thought Bester was friends or something with a writer @ DC and helped write the GL oath

Howabout...Vonnegut on Shade: The Changing Man or Fourth World

or

Philip K Dick on Human Target. Or a Vision solo book? Maybe Machine Man. (see the theme here)

Comics was his main gig besides radio serials before he switched over to writing for the SF pulps and became a bit of a legend. DC was the prestigious comics gig in the late '40s, as they paid the best.

(As well as paying the Bester...)

How about Angela Carter on Howard the Duck?

Ok, because it's fun, Fantastic Four by Philip K. Dick, as imagined my Konrad M..

When the Earth is ravished by nuclear bombs and radiation sends the few remaining groups of survivors underground, Mary and Eric Teascent, their gardener Willy and their dog JJ develop strange superpower abilities. Mary has a vision that they have to find a deity called Galactron who can send them back in time, so they can prevent the catastrophe from happening. Not everybody is so keen an that idea. Doctor Bloodstreet, a scientist and brilliant engineer who lost arms and legs in an accident, due to radiation develops psychic abilities that allow him to move objects with his mind. He constructs an army of robots to chase and prevent our group of heroes from reaching the deity. He likes the world that empowered him just fine..

Or Robert Anton Wilson doing Testament, rather than Douglas Rushkoff doing Robert Anton Wilson doing Testament?

I think Joseph Conrad could write a decent Hellblazer.