Sign in to follow this  
slinker

The Dark Knight Returns Pt 1 & 2

(I posted this in the Dark Knight Rises thread, but now have sliced it out for its own thread. There have been developments in this production.)

Batman_emote_by_themoleking2003.gif

__Just_Click_for_Batman___by_RafkinsWarning.gif

After completion of "Batman: The Brave and the Bold", I worked on the animated adaption of Frank Miller's classic, "The Dark Knight Returns". The DVD movie will be released in two parts. This is a first for the Warner Bros DTVs. My part of the production was to color script the entire movie. This (I believe) is also a first for the Warner Bros DTVs. Part one is totally done and it looks amazing. I think fans of the book will be very pleased. There is talk with some of us on the crew doing a blog, kind of like I did with the B:TB&tB blog, but it would involve more than just myself, but also story board artists, BG layout, prop & character designers. If it happens, it would appear after DKR pt1 is released. Hopefully it'll happen. I will put a link here if and when it does. And no, I case you were wondering, the character on this door sign is not from the new DKR DTV, but from an old "New Adventures of Batman" episode

batman.gif

By William Joseph Dunn

96dc172749dff1d388abf6e041551e80.jpg

According to the IMDB page, Michael Ironside will voice Old Man Wayne/Batman.

Batman has not been seen for ten years. A new breed of criminal ravages Gotham City, forcing fifty year-old Bruce Wayne back into the cape and cowl. But, does he still have what it takes to fight crime in a new era?

Release date for part 1 is September 25, 2012

batman.gif

This is not from the upcoming release, it's an independent "spoof" made by a fan. Oh, and it happens to have Michael Ironside as Batman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRpY37QNlx8

I have begun to re-read The Dark Knight Returns. Am I right in suggesting this was the first time Batman was shown to have questionable sanity? Everything I read prior to TDKReturns has Batman as this vanilla do-gooder, Superman in a different costume almost, without any of the tortured inner monologues. If I am wrong, who introduced Batman's narrative inner voice that called his sanity in question?

Well, that was awesome. To spoil; Peter Weller was very good, a lot of what they changed/added was good, the animation was very smooth and Batman came off as scary when he should have, and the violence was extremely sharp and brutal. It wasn't trying to be the book, but it did lose a few moments that I thought were poignant from the period before Frank Miller went (noticeably) nuts such as Batman's line that Harvey was his reflection. Altogether one of the better animated efforts. And it has... a bunch of old comics on a store shelf in one scene including some of Alan Moore's. The balance with the 300 easter eggs in the Watchmen movie has been struck, I would say.

8.733858568543753/10

Is it out then? Where did you see it?

Like love, it's wherever you find it.

Upon further reflection, David Selby's voice may have been too soft for Commissioner Gordon. And that lack of extras I mentioned above could hurt the second half, when everyone has to get together to deal with the EMP detonation in Gotham. It still feels like it's set in a ghost town, except for some very early scenes. Also some of the music seems to reference Escape From New York.

i found the love. i differ from you though. i thought it was tremendous. in all of the batman movies, i rank this second only to the dark knight. my complaint is at an hour and nineteen, it's too short. why not do the whole thing as one movie that clocks in at two and a half hours? i didn't have a single complaint otherwise. the dialogue was lifted right from the book. in fact, bob goodman gets credit for "writing" it. bullshit! he adapted it. it was portrayed as frank miller wrote it. everyone who is a batman fan needs to see this. and the way part one ended? i got chills.

call me a madman. returns is way better than rises.

I agree; I miss the "a wolf howls..." line, but they ended it perfectly. Still not sure myself why they cut it in half. I want to watch the whole thing before I rate it against other movies.

Ah, well, to answer my own question: sometime around Feb. 2013. Let's pray the Mayans were wrong so we can at least live long enough to see part 2.

Yup, that was fucking great. Makes me appreciate Miller's storytelling on a whole new level.. but the animation, the voices and music all come together beautifully. I liked it more than Rises also. Somehow Rises feels a bit pretentious compared to this. DKR is what the myths are made of.

Part 2 was not disappointing, but what it did more than anything else is made me question why bother splitting it into two parts, thereby breaking the single story's continuity, rhythm and pacing. Nothing like waiting 3 or 4 months to see Act 2 and 3 of a play, right?

The entire movie was shorter than DKRises and as a single event could have helped tie-in to the theatrical film which, admit it, could have used some help. I'd have released the entire Dark Knight animated feature the day after Thanksgiving and spent the holidays rolling naked in all my money, if I had been the decision guy on that benchmarking retreat.

• Upvote 1

Part 1 was very well done. I enjoyed everything about it.

My nephew seemed to have enjoyed it, which I was wondering about, as the story is a bit deep for kids.

Sure was. Just finished this....wow, was that twisted. Packs a lot of stuff into just 1.5 hours and the bit with Supes jusr rules the school.