Sign in to follow this  
Lou K

Comic Books Are Gay

Man, fuck them.

Maybe that is the problem? But I cannot help them :smile:

I actually think it's sad. They could be worrying about much more important things than the amount of gay-ness in comics.

Of course they have no problem with all the blood and guts and violence nor the skimpy crap the females wear nor the sexuality of the hetero characters. But a character coming out as gay and a marriage between two guys who love each other is a no-no? Oh, suck my black cock... (sorry. :blush: )

Absolutely, big brother Balthy!!!

and no. just...no. :laugh:

Do kids even read comics anymore?

That whole "violence is natural and good" but "sex is perverted and wrong" seeming-mentality has been my biggest bane for years with these groups.

The sad thing is many of the political people who feed off that grim political current, have gay children themselves. Isn't Gringich one of them?. We have a couple of cases here, with rightwing politicians who have, and expect fair treatment for their, gay children while themselves standing for the bigots party.

I think it is worse here, because of course the rightwing pollies would NEVER say anything bigoted themselves, and might go "tut tut, don't say that ( people are listening )" when their wackjob bigot voters go off, but THEY TAKE THE MONEY AND THE VOTES. Much worse morally than the nasty but honest barstard rightwinger politicians in the US and France and Germany who will actually come out and make statements.

No. It's very much like that in America...and I'm sure everywhere.

The hypocrisy.

A perfect case in point is Bill O'Reiley. He invites Leftist activitists on his show, and he's usually pretty polite, and he acts all "politically correct" for the cameras. Like with the immigration debate.

Then, you got to YouTube and read the reader's comments to his show and you see comments like, "The white race is facing a genocide as we speak by a government that allows inter-racial breeding." and "Anti-racism is anti-whites!".

And, you know that these guys (like O'Reiley) know who they're appealing to with their comments.

These are actual quotes I saw on YouTube pertaining to a Bill O'Reiley show by the way. The very first two posts on the entire page. I'm not just making this up.

Man, fuck them.

Maybe that is the problem? But I cannot help them emo_smile.gif

I actually think it's sad. They could be worrying about much more important things than the amount of gay-ness in comics.

Of course they have no problem with all the blood and guts and violence nor the skimpy crap the females wear nor the sexuality of the hetero characters. But a character coming out as gay and a marriage between two guys who love each other is a no-no? Oh, suck my black cock... (sorry. emo_blush.gif )

Hahaha. Calmly, brother, they are more sad than they are hateful, because we are winning, and they don't understand why, they are Christians and yet the so called "Immoral Minority" ( that's us ) are more "christian" in our compassion and consideration of each other, and they don't know why about that either. Life is confusing for people who shut their eyes to facts in favour of opening their minds to faith.

Their only "rational" claim to some sort of value to their way over ours, ( The Way of the God of Love, wasn't it? nothing in there about hate and discrimination that I can see ) they have let slip from their hands. Their Saviour ( or the distilled best of Him ) wouldn't want to go to their parties anyway, he would have been hanging out with us "hippy pagans, poofter-lovers and misguided minorities", we got the best music and food at our parties I think the record shows.

The whole thing is a confused cry of the heart from people who feel the future escaping their control. Possibly even escaping their participation. All I can say is thank the Generative Spirit for those forward-thinking Founding Father chappies. Just imagine if you will, a USA, and a World, that had the sole super power without a constitution forbidding the Church from controlling societys laws and customs.

They are impotent, in a so-called Christian society of 310 millions, they can't even get .01% of the "moms" to sign up.

Bigots zero

Americans One.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of scary people with power behind them who claim that the Constitution doesn't actually say that.

They say it says the government can't interfere with religion, but that it doesn't pertain to religion taking over the government.

And, they also go further to argue that the "founding fathers" actually wanted a theocracy and that the current "secular" government is unConstitutional.

(Hence the total lack of any mention of "God" in the US Constitution.)

Surely that all makes a lot of sense...

Do kids even read comics anymore?

No.

I've heard this cited as a big part of the reason so many of them re functionally illiterate, whatever bullshit their school claims as an excuse.

The sad thing is many of the political people who feed off that grim political current, have gay children themselves. Isn't Gringich one of them?. We have a couple of cases here, with rightwing politicians who have, and expect fair treatment for their, gay children while themselves standing for the bigots party.

I think it is worse here, because of course the rightwing pollies would NEVER say anything bigoted themselves, and might go "tut tut, don't say that ( people are listening )" when their wackjob bigot voters go off, but THEY TAKE THE MONEY AND THE VOTES. Much worse morally than the nasty but honest barstard rightwinger politicians in the US and France and Germany who will actually come out and make statements.

They won't say "gays should be second class" but they will say "Marriage between a man and a woman." Which is a weasel way to say "gays are icky." You have to unpack what's implied in the sentence, and they've wrapped themselves so much in the rhetoric that they often don't even admiot to themselves that they're bigots. They want things 'as they are' and don't actually want to admit that they want to deny rights to anybody, because that would be wrong. But the rhetoric has gotten very contorted, so they can continue to think of themselves as good people. But society becomes more liberal as time goes on, and they're fighting a already-lost battle. In the US, the acceptance of gays in the military has, at a stroke, doomed DOMA.

Yeah, I recently called my sister a bigot because of this. It made me sad, but her arguments against gay marriage were ridiculously easy to take apart. It's something she has been fed, rather than something she's actually thought about.

Alan Scott is now a gay character.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/06/01/its-official-alan-scott-the-original-green-lantern-is-dcs-newest-gay-hero/

Please no jokes about green flame or his weakness being wood. :icon_wink:

Serious though, I'm sort of mixed on this. I know Robinson will probably write him fantastically. You need only look at his past work on Starman & JSA for that. However, it seems like they just made him gay for the sake of publicity. The bigger issue for me is that Earth 2 is no longer home to heroes from the WWII era.

Anyone want to take bets on when, not if, Alan's BF gets killed soon? Or perhaps during his origin?

And that's sort of my take on it. It's awfully convenient to out a character so shortly after the Pres made his endorsement. So it seems like a cash grab or making him gay just for the sake of it. Still doesn't ring 'major player' to me, still seems like the safe pick.

Yeah!

I thought it a better story when Alan had a son, Obsidian, who happened to be gay. Then having Alan Scott, being from an older generation, coming to terms and accepting his son for who he is.

Still, Robinson has a fair amount of mileage with me. So, I will give him a chance.

See, that is a better story, as it was made that Alan Scott was a very liberal person. He was speaking out against McCarthyism during the "Red Scare", for example. It works well.

I was just reminded a few days ago that Archie has already introduced a gay character at least a year ago.

That's how "cutting edge" this is, for now DC to be outing a major character.

I'm afraid I'm forced to agree with Lou's sentiments, when I originally didn't feel that was correct.

It doesn't feel natural. It feels like the "big two" (especially DC, who looks like the worst imitator, as it's just about time that Marvel decided to do something interesting with Northstar) feel they're doing something "controversial", seemingly ignoring the fact that Archie Comics has already done that. Archie freakin' Comics!

Someone in marketing has a sudden epithany

"Hey, why don't we have a GAY character, someone important!".

While many times, staff and readers, not all of them gay, for as long as there have been comics have thought, sadly

"Why don't we have a gay character, someone important?".

Well, I suppose at least their bandwagonning has them pointing in the right direction now.

The thing is, Alan Scott, Green Lantern from yesteryear, he of the alternate Earth 2, is just not 'major player' enough for DC to believe it's own hype.

And by himself he don't amount to no ten percent of all the heroes either.

( edit to say, there was an un-intended ( and small ) ( and possibly not that funny ) joke there about Heros! Or at least a joke to a person who has lived in Sydney! )

The thing is, Alan Scott, Green Lantern from yesteryear, he of the alternate Earth 2, is just not 'major player' enough for DC to believe it's own hype.

DC doesn't have a lot of "big names" anymore though, if you think about it.

They'd never out Superman or Batman...and that leaves the modern-day Flash and Green Lantern, plus Wonder Woman (who already lives on an isle of lesbians)...

Those are the only major characters DC has left.

Alan Scott is now a gay character.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/06/01/its-official-alan-scott-the-original-green-lantern-is-dcs-newest-gay-hero/

Please no jokes about green flame or his weakness being wood. :icon_wink:

Serious though, I'm sort of mixed on this. I know Robinson will probably write him fantastically. You need only look at his past work on Starman & JSA for that. However, it seems like they just made him gay for the sake of publicity. The bigger issue for me is that Earth 2 is no longer home to heroes from the WWII era.

Anyone want to take bets on when, not if, Alan's BF gets killed soon? Or perhaps during his origin?

And that's sort of my take on it. It's awfully convenient to out a character so shortly after the Pres made his endorsement. So it seems like a cash grab or making him gay just for the sake of it. Still doesn't ring 'major player' to me, still seems like the safe pick.

These plans in comics take months, though. Also to have the comic getting prepared from script to actual comic takes time. The Pres' endorsement was only recently and the announcement for Alan Scott was very shortly after when they were asked at a convention. They wouldn't have had time to have this comic come out when Obama made his announcement. So this whole thing with Alan Scott had to be planned before then.

I take my hat of to you.

emo_hattip.gif

My hat, I take it off.

Why that didn't occur to me before, I do not know, but for a change, I am not the only person in my *slow on the uptake* boat!. lol

Zealot whackjobs don't buy comics in the first place.

Did you think about that?

Yes. They're still sulking over her getting killed at the end of the Image Wildcats.

:icon_wink:

Think again. WE ARE THE ZEALOTS!

I was wondering about picking up James Robinson's stuff again. The Shade has been excellent.

He's certainly gayed up Blue Starman with the right degree of decorum and story-telling, so I expect good things.

When is it "out" ?

I have read the gayness.

I won't be reading any more, as it is not at all the James Robinson reinvention of superheroes that I was hoping for.

I will go as far as to say that the New Jay Garrick Flash is shite.

The being gay thing would have had more impact if that thing that happened immediately afterwards had not happened.

Superhero team books :icon_rolleyes:

Ade, you are 100% correct.

Seeing what happens after makes a person wonder what DC really thinks of gay characters/gay marriage.

To flush this all from my mind I'll have to go read some Golden Age and/or some JSA

Most of this week's new comics set to arrive at my l.c.s. (latter-century saints?) where lost in transit (not translation, mind), although they were found and delivered by Thursday, but I was there on Wednesday, so I have to wait until this coming week to get this week's books...meaning I have not read this comic (or most other ones I plan to from this week).

Which is a roundabout way to address that I have read Earth-Two #1 and had no intention of reading more of this Earth-Two series, as I found it lacking in anything that makes that whole "Earth-Two" concept in any way interesting.

Which is a tangential way to say that I'm thinking that we must add James Robinson's name to that sadly ever-growing long list of comic creators who were once genius and now are hard to have to read (adding it right after Peter Milligan's name).

I can't think of a lot of good material Robinson has written since Starman.

Shawn-I used to really love the "Golden Age" character work that Roy Thomas did at DC. Have you read any of that?

All-Star Squadron is magic, and Infinity Inc. is pretty fun too.