Sign in to follow this  
Lou K

Iron Man 3

New Villain: Iron Patriot/ColdBlood

http://www.wwtdd.com/2012/05/first-pictures-of-iron-man-3-villain-iron-patriotcoldblood-7/

Looks really fucking lame to me.

But then you get Ben Kingsley as The mandarin.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/30/more-iron-man-3-villain-scoopage

Guy Pierce to be involved?

Aldrich Killian. Killian, as we've learned, is the scientist who invents Extremis, and LR says the character will be using it to build an army of super-powered individuals. Still no word on how many Extremis soldiers we'll see, but sources speculate that the recently cast characters of Coldblood and Firepower are somehow involved with this thread.

Thoughts?

Well, they don't have good source material to cull from, if they're looking to appeal to current-day fans.

I've tried picking up the Iron Man comic again from time to time, and the book is just unreadable. It really muse be one of the worst books Marvel is publishing. I don't know who exactly can be enjoying this...Maybe Matt Fraction, himself?

So, I wouldn't expect much from an Iron Man movie now.

I remember Firepower from the comics...he was in Armor Wars II, I believe.

I think they waited too long to bring the Mandarin in to the movies, and now he's stuck with all that Extremis and Iron Patriot junk.

If they went back to the old-school Mandarin with the rings...it could've been decent.

They've been referencing that "The Ten Rings" in some secret society behind the first two Iron Man plots, and then Mandarin still isn't given the spotlight?

Hell, bring in Ultimo or Fin Fang Foom if they have to, and make it a fun, big-monster, action movie...

That page of pictures looks lame as fuck, why do we need to see Ironman fighting another suit of the same sort as his own?. We already saw that in Ironman two, and it got old fast even in that movie. Faceless computor rendered "suits" look like toys fighting, who cares about toys fighting?.

I like the idea of Fin Fang Foom. We already know this story universe has aliens, why do they have to be bipeds?.

(Does anyone else fondly remember Second Stage Lensman Worsel from the Doc E.E. Smith Lensman stories?.)

why do we need to see Ironman fighting another suit of the same sort as his own?. We already saw that in Ironman two, and it got old fast even in that movie.

I thought the same thing. Hell we saw it even in IM 1 when he fought the Iron Monger.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000948/

If success can't teach them what success is, are they capable of learning?. What is the distinguishing characteristic of all the successful Comic movies of recent years?. the distilled reason for their success?.

They were written by comic lovers, by nerds, right?. the screenplays I mean.

So they have a successful franchise going . . . and they give the writing to the guy who wrote how many comic based scripts? . . . is it NONE, this number of comic based scripts he wrote?. . . I think so.

Though I must say that Last action hero and Long kiss goodnight showed a great deal of originality and daring.

The Long Kiss Goodnight I have to admit is one of my favourite "action" movies of all time, and a better movie than its box-office would suggest. I guess it is even classic in its storyline, its talking to the human story kind of thing.

...I've tried picking up the Iron Man comic again from time to time, and the book is just unreadable. It really muse be one of the worst books Marvel is publishing. I don't know who exactly can be enjoying this...Maybe Matt Fraction, himself? ...

The few recent issues I tried didn't seem badly written or drawn; but they were re-retreading the same old Iron Man plots that have been done to death:

• Tony Stark gets drunk
  • Stane takes over Tony's company and Tony starts up a better one
  • Tony gets injured again and needs his armour to survive
  • Suit batteries run low and Tony's heart fails in a fight!!!!1!
  • The Mandarin is secretly behind it all
  • Tony and Rhodey express their earnest respect and admiration for each other
  • War Machine blah blah blah

Iron Man comics have always been f*cking awful.

So they have a successful franchise going . . . and they give the writing to the guy who wrote how many comic based scripts? . . . is it NONE, this number of comic based scripts he wrote?. . . I think so.

Heh...the fact that Shane Black's name is attached to it is one of a handful of things giving me some small hope that Iron Man 3 might be an improvement on the trainwreck of the second film. He's been unlucky when it comes to studio interference - par for the course when you're a writer of big-budget action fare - but by and large, when his scripts have made it to screen reasonably un-messed-with, they've been excellent. Have you seen Kiss Kiss Bang Bang? For my money, one of the best-written major-studio films of the decade, and a pretty major step in Robert Downey Jr.'s post-cocaine rehabilitation. It didn't do great business at the time, but it's come to be pretty well-regarded in the years since, and with good reason. I think you'd enjoy it a lot.

I didn't hate the new trailer. In fact, I might go as far as to say I kind of liked it.

Hm. I see a problem. Once they've now established the Avengers, certain logical problems arise. For instance, if someone starts going after Tony Stark in a big way, why wouldn't his newfound pals Thor or Captain America step in to help out? Or even the entire SHIELD apparatus, for that matter. If this issue isn't at least hinted at in the new film, I'll be annoyed.

Yeah, it's the same issue I have with a lot of comics though. But "what happened in New York" is clearly referenced in the trailer and it seems that some of the plot is based on the fallout from that event, so I suspect they have this covered.

Dug the new trailer. A lot. You're right, Red, why wouldn't the Avengers bail Tony out? Unless Thor is off world and Cap is out of country.

I didn't hate the new trailer. In fact, I might go as far as to say I kind of liked it.

Hm. I see a problem. Once they've now established the Avengers, certain logical problems arise. For instance, if someone starts going after Tony Stark in a big way, why wouldn't his newfound pals Thor or Captain America step in to help out? Or even the entire SHIELD apparatus, for that matter. If this issue isn't at least hinted at in the new film, I'll be annoyed.

Same reason they don't always show up to lend a hand in the comics, I suppose.

The movies could actually be happening simultaneously. So as the Mandarin is launching an airstrike on Iron Man's mansion, Thor could be fighting Dark Elves. Which leads to another condition, they could be worlds apart. With Thor, that is something literal, and Banner is a bit of a drifter as well, while Cap and the rest of the SHIELD crew are more prone to globetrotting escapades.

Also, the Avengers aren't really that close knit at this point. So I'd understand them wanting to take care of matters that concern them by themselves, the way they see fit.

Cap, Thor, Hulk, etc I can see being off on other adventures but I can't imagine SHIELD would cotton to a terrorist organization opening massive fire on a homestead on American soil without stepping in.

Same reason they don't always show up to lend a hand in the comics, I suppose.

The movies could actually be happening simultaneously. So as the Mandarin is launching an airstrike on Iron Man's mansion, Thor could be fighting Dark Elves. Which leads to another condition, they could be worlds apart. With Thor, that is something literal, and Banner is a bit of a drifter as well, while Cap and the rest of the SHIELD crew are more prone to globetrotting escapades.

Also, the Avengers aren't really that close knit at this point. So I'd understand them wanting to take care of matters that concern them by themselves, the way they see fit.

The point is that it's quite doable to find valid excuses (or at least valid enough for us as an audience to suspend disbelief), but then you have to at least acknowledge the problem.

I've always had a problem with superhero comics in which there are hundreds of superheros exactly because it makes no fucking sense that when some earth-shattering cataclysmic thing is going down, noone but the ones in the book you're reading steps in.

Aren't we being a bit premature about this? Not least in light of the fact that, since the background presence of SHIELD and the Avengers in this film's universe is explicitly mentioned in the damn trailer, there's a fairly good reason to believe that the film-makers might actually be aware of it?

:tongue:

Fun trailer. Hope the film's good.

Aren't we being a bit premature about this? Not least in light of the fact that, since the background presence of SHIELD and the Avengers in this film's universe is explicitly mentioned in the damn trailer, there's a fairly good reason to believe that the film-makers might actually be aware of it?

Optimist! :tongue:

Hi Mark, you're obviously new here.