Sign in to follow this  
Lou K

Iron Man 3

I don't understand why people have such a problem with this lack of inter-continuity in the movies when we've accepted it through suspension-of-disbelief for decades in the comics.

Ignoring Mark's comment for the nonce, which might be totally accurate...I'd assume that the movie people are looking for more casual audiences and a bit less of a solidly in-bred fanbase than the comics have appealed for all these years.

I don't understand why people have such a problem with this lack of inter-continuity in the movies when we've accepted it through suspension-of-disbelief for decades in the comics.

Well to be fair, Pål did make it fairly clear that he's never really accepted it in the comics either.

Me, I'm inclined to agree with you that it's a non-issue. Everyone sane actually understands that, whatever in-story excuse the writers come up with, the real reason Thor isn't going to show up to save the day is because the posters all say "IRON MAN" in nice big letters. The idea of a coherent DC or Marvel Universe doesn't work at all when you actually think about it, but that's the price we have to pay for the fact that it's occasionally fun to see Superman and Batman standing next to each other and punching aliens. But it's also quite nice to be able to enjoy a story about Batman punching a mentally ill clown in the face without the writers having to come up with yet another contrived excuse for why Superman doesn't fly in to help him out Every. Single. Month, so we just have to overlook it. Sometimes it's better to just draw a discreet veil over the more obvious contrivances, rather than actively drawing the reader's attention to how absurdly unstable the whole edifice actually is.

Of course, since the films don't have to come up with a new story every month, and the MARVEL TEAM-UP aspect of the cinematic franchise is still fairly new and attention-grabby (and, once again, because the issue is acknowledged in the trailer), I'm fairly sure it will be acknowledged here. But it's unlikely to be given more than a one- or two-line handwave, and nor should it be.

Mark, you have a fair point, but when it's done right, you can have the best of both worlds. Case in point: Mike Carey's HB arc about The Beast With No Name. It neatly explains why JC is left on his own fending off the end of the earth, even throwing in single-panel cameos of both Lucifer and Tim Hunter.

To me, it all depends on whether the character we're reading about/seein on film has been written to be part of a world with other relevant characters or not. If Iron Man was simply a standalone franchise where he was effectively the only existing hero, such continuity-problems wouldn't arise at all. But when he's explicitly teamed up with massively-powered heroes already, as well as a large intelligence/military organization, those elements become part of the fictional world Iron Man inhabits. What I'm saying is that I like my stories to conform to the logic the stories themselves have developed.

The continuity between characters/books only bothers me if I let it. When I focus on it, my inner OCD geek freaks out. The Avengers movies should be the place for all the characters. I don't need or want to see Cap show up to help Iron Man in his solo flick. I sometimes wish DC & Marvel would experiment with the books and have them be mostly seperate entities (with exception of Avengers books & X-Men books). Then again, I realize the responsibility to reconcile such things is with the reader/viewer. I do think Marvel Studios/Paramount/Disney whoever have done a darn good job of finding that balance of keeping the movies accessible for casual views and dedicated fans. Prime example being the Avengers. My girlfriend had seen none of the solo movies (except trying to cram in Captain America immediately before) and she still got the characters and enjoyed it.

That's my whole point about "the in-bred fan base that comics have appealed to all these years".

What if someone has only seen the Iron Man movies and hasn't seen The Avengers?

Isn't it better to appeal to the casual fan base by utilizing suspension-of-disbelief (which is already constantly used in the comics, where continuity would be a bigger issue), rather than filling the movies with inter-continuity to the point where they become like the comics, and alienate new fans who don't have a working knowledge of an entire universe's continuity?

I don't need or want to see Cap show up to help Iron Man in his solo flick.

Me neither. I just want some sort of excuse for why he doesn't, when Stark's house is bombed to smithereens.

"Oh, god, my house! It's destroyed! If only Captain America wasn't in Syria battling the Red Skull's Nazi-Muslim cyborgs! Damn the luck! He couldn't help me! I'll call him tomorrow on my cell phone, and let him know that I'm ok, and there's no reason to hurry home, he's needed more there. Now, back to my story-arc!" said Tony Stark to please Red.

"Oh, god, my house! It's destroyed! If only Captain America wasn't in Syria battling the Red Skull's Nazi-Muslim cyborgs! Damn the luck! He couldn't help me! I'll call him tomorrow on my cell phone, and let him know that I'm ok, and there's no reason to hurry home, he's needed more there. Now, back to my story-arc!" said Tony Stark to please Red.

EeeexACTLY!

:boogie:

On somewhat related news, Black Widow and Hawkeye will co-star in the Captain America movie.

Seems like overkill to me.

Will it be preceeding the Avengers movie on the time-line though?

If it goes back and introduces Widow and Hawkeye from before they were a part of SHIELD, it won't be a bad idea.

Both characters were originally introduced as villains in the Iron Man comic (Tales of Suspense).

I've not read Iron Man since I was a kid so I missed Extremis, but that trailer looks exciting. I'm actually looking forward to this.

I think it uses the Extremis storyline, but it's not the full film. Rebecca Hall is cast as Maya Hansen, so Extremis is definitely in there somewhere.

I want that movie in my eyeballs! Guy Pearce as a villain - so works!

He was fantastic as a villain in Lawless.

Didn';t see that one, as, shialeboef. However, he was fucking incandesent in The Proposition.

Why he isn't in many more hit movies, I do not know. The Hard Word from 2002 was one of the best Aussie movies I have ever seen, and a great "Study of men" movie for any place too. But it did no good around the world.

Mark, no, I have never caught Kiss kiss, Bang bang. I think I had only the one working leg when it came out first, and I never really get around to watching rentals, always got fishing rods or books to hand instead.

I'll join in on the Guy Pearce lovefest. Such an underrated actor, I really hope he'll have his time to shine in IM3, IM2 *almost* made good on the promise of Mickey Rourke.

And Avaunt - Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang is a film I wholeheartedly recommend as well, it's got everything - snappy dialogue, brilliant chemistry between Kilmer and Downey, twisty-turny plot, a movie with brains *and* good looks.

New trailer is out. No I am not posting it. It gives just too much of the flick away. go look it up at your own risk.

Not looking too forward to this. Kind of burned out on Iron Man.

Ben Kingsley as some weird pimp terrorist is intriguing, though.

I mean, am really looking forward to it because I love the franchise but these last two trailers just gave way too much away.

It's pretty good! my favourite Marvel film after The Avengers. Shane Black knows how to use Robert Downey Jr. very well indeed. Actually the whole film is very Shane Black, with it set around Christmas, very funny dialogue, great action and a great twist which I didn't see coming until ten seconds before it happened (don't click unless you've actually seen the flick!):

totally didn't see the Mandarin being actor coming. Also, just as I was getting a bad taste in my mouth from Pepper being the damsel in distress once again, they switched it around (first by semi killing her off, which I did buy for a second or two, then for her to totally save Tony from Killian with her new Extremis powers AND the Iron Man armour).

Also, totally dug the cameo in the after the credits scene. was kind of expecting it to lead into Thor 2 or Avengers 2 but it was a very nice character beat which continued one of the best bits of chemistry from the Avengers.

• Upvote 1

ARRRGH.

He wasn't kidding, don't think he was kidding, don't click the bit that says spoiler !! ! ! !

( I don't know why I didn't just do as you said, sethos. I guess there is no cure for dumb. )