Sign in to follow this  
Avaunt

Judge Dredd

To quote: Alright, so in case you didn’t know, Hollywood’s decided to reboot Sylvester Stallone’s Judge Dredd.

Tells me all I need to know about that article. My only gripe is the helmet looks rather large, but I reserve judgement.

This looks more promising than the original adaptation. I will reserve judgement on the uniforms.

I rather like the look of Karl Urban as Dredd, actually. There's a real McMahon/Ezquerra vibe to the visuals, from what I've seen, and that's still my favoured Dredd aesthetic, so I'm happy. Urban fits into it nicely, and now that I've seen it in action a bit more, I don't think the slightly over-sized helmet is as much of a problem as I did when I first saw it.

I really want this to be good. It looks very promising, so fingers are crossed...

Looks good to me. I'd like a few more touches from the comic but cannot complain. Hell, just check out the Lawgiver. that alone is enough to thrill me.

Right, is this the first review on here? I'll avoid any spoilers.

The first thing you'll notice is how it doesn't look too far in the future - clothes, cars, buildings all the same, except for the brilliantly realised citiblocks puncturing the normal landscape. Some may find this a bit too close to now to suit their image of Dredd, I let it go as a nod to budget constraints.

The second thing you'll notice (as all the reviews have commented on it) is the premise is awfully like an Indonesian movie The Raid. This didn't bother me either - I haven't seen The Raid.

Anyway, the film is fucking tremendous in my opinion. The judge uniform works well as a real-life functional version of the Dredd's rather elaborate outfit (I particularly liked the eagle), all big boots and battered leather. The Lawgiver is great but maybe the Lawmaster is a bit of a disappointment? Minor niggle, and it grew on me anyway.

My brothers main complaint was that out of this massive city from Boston to Washington, we get stuck in one single block for 90% of the story. I didnt mind this. Even allowing for the budget making an extensive MC1 prohibitive, I feel that it suits who Dredd is.

Before hes saving the entire world from Armageddon, or nuking East Meg 1, or going on some epic or another across the Cursed Earth, hes a beat cop and this is a one day in the life of a beat cop story.

Urban and Olivia Thirlby are both excellent in their roles. Dredd is as one dimensional as the comics but thats who he is, he doesnt need to be made cuddly or sympathetic. Urban totally nails Dredd as a man of few words and certain purpose. What little he does speak is delivered in an gruff version of the man with no name.

Thirlby does get to inject some humanity into the proceeding (when meeting the mother of a perp) but it doesnt get too bogged down with tree hugging touchy-feely crap, and she comes across rightly as someone who has trained to be a judge: confident without being overly so, but a bit uncertain about her first day on the street. Her first sentencing is a great moment, and contains some real emotional tension.

Ive read some reviews commenting about Anderson not wearing her helmet much to give the film a pretty face on screen, but she rarely wears the helmet in the comic (if I remember correctly) so its entirely in character. And shes very pretty.

The drug at the centre of the film might be regarded as an excuse to keep breaking out the slow motion cameras but I find it hard to criticise this. Some may see at as a cheap gimmick, I chose to see it as a creative opportunity. The slow motion sequences are so well done and result in some of the best use of 3D Ive seen in a cinema that I think theyre justified.

Overall, it is a brilliantly violent movie: bullets tear through flesh, blood and broken glass come out the screen at you. Exactly what I would expect from a movie version of the comic.

Some great nods throughout the movie (particularly the Robocop reference) and it shows the depth of feeling Garland & Travis have for the source material. I noticed Kenny Who?, the Judge Child and Marlon Shakespeare in there, Im sure there are more.

Anyway, I loved it. As the opening movie of a franchise (as Im sure they intend it to be) it was largely perfect. Im sure itll make enough money to justify a sequel, and the confidence gained should make Dredd 2 a more wide ranging movie.

Ill give it 9/10

Right, is this the first review on here? I'll avoid any spoilers.

The first thing you'll notice is how it doesn't look too far in the future - clothes, cars, buildings all the same, except for the brilliantly realised citiblocks puncturing the normal landscape. Some may find this a bit too close to now to suit their image of Dredd, I let it go as a nod to budget constraints.

The second thing you'll notice (as all the reviews have commented on it) is the premise is awfully like an Indonesian movie The Raid. This didn't bother me either - I haven't seen The Raid

Anyway, the film is fucking tremendous in my opinion.

( Oh YEAH BABY ! ! !) *stops reading review*

Yay!.

This made me glad. *goes back to finish review*

I remember her as always taking her helmet off in the comic the second she sees Joe, and giving him some cheek. Then waltzing around with it under her arm.

Wow, wouldn't it be cool if they made a heap of the best J.D. comics from the vast backlog of same?. Great Britain might have another 50 year film franchise like Bond!. I think the Judge Child series would be insanely good. Ever since I read the part with The Jigsaw Man I have wanted to see that in a film, for some reason.

Looks like I'll be making a date with Dredd this friday.

I've been hearing about this Raid movie by passing and I'm not planning on seeing that in my lifetime

We've just got back and I fucking loved it!

If I was to complain it would be really small and trivial, so I won't.

The wonderful Karl Urban nails Dredd (he's too young, but he has him down.) The slow mo (which normally I really hate) works very well in context and looks awful pretty. There's a nice cheek blasting that shows a Dillonesque flappy skin/teeth thing, and it's really, really violent. Anderson is just right. Yes, the no helmet is fine, that's appropriate.

I actually pointed excitedly like a small child at the Chopper graffitti. :smile: (Also, I punched the air and went "WOOO!" when Jock's name came up in the credits. :blush: )

I would love a Dredd 2, there's plenty to go at and this proves Dredd on screen can work really well. Go see it.

(I want to see The Raid, it's a shame they have such a similar plot, but coincidences happen and I'm not complaining about having two mad violent tower block smash ups.)

Thanks to the Cute Blonde for giving us such a smilie mental image.

I can just see you pointing excitedly at the big screen, and bouncing up and down in your seat!. :)

What did you lad think? did he like it?. Has he been educated in the mythos, or did he go seeing it without preconceptions?.

Glad you had fun, Pooka.

I am all excited to see it now. Especially to think that someone got Dredd down that well. I am quite in sympathy with Ol' Stoneyface, even though he is an awful bully.

Tony - Cev loved it, he's fairly familiar with Dredd, not a massive 2000AD fan, but he's no stranger.

The more I think about it the more I'm loving it. There are flaws in it (not sure about the end but dork it, it looked great) and it gets a bit slow in a couple of places, but I'd watchit again right now to be honest. Really seemed to nail the spirit without being campy or tongue in cheek.

I know what you mean, the terrible thing about Dredd is he's such a bloody facist, but by God, you do want to see him waste them perps. :boogie:

I wouldn't want anyone except Dredd doing it around a society, that is for sure. I mean, it is OK for him to make snap-decisions and snap-shot the implementation side of things, but after all, He is The Law, so it is OK in principle and in practice, he doesn't make mistakes.

[/tongue in cheek]

I actually don't think it could be done with humans, without some sort of hard wiring aspect, computer chips in the brain sort of thing.

I really do want to see a good job of playing him out on the screen though. He is actually a pretty interesting character, it has been an interesting and entertaining comic lo these many years.

Dredd is indeed a good arty action movie - not as good a pure action movie as 'The Raid' (really, go see it), but lots of fun.

Their take on Judge Dredd as a character (well, maybe not 'character' exactly...) is bang on. Well, apart from one mis-step at the end [clearly,

Anderson should have been failed, or at least sent for extra training

].

But it's really not a great Judge Dredd movie. The MegaCity is almost more of a character in the comics than old stony-face - here, it's pretty much indistinguishable from many contemporary flicks. It needs that sense of hyperbolic satiric exagerration to be proper 2000AD (something that Russell T Davies often did quite well in Doctor Who). As it was, I got more of a sense of futureshock trying to navigate Leeds ring road on the way back home.

The Stallone one, for all its many faults, did a better MegaCity.

Just been reading about how Dredd totally sunk without a trace box-office wise in the US, despite great reviews.

What the hell is wrong with you people? If this doesn't make enough money to earn a sequel I'm holding each and every american citizen personally responsible. :angry: