Sign in to follow this  
Avaunt

Judge Dredd

It's bombing everywhere, not just the States. Which is a huge shame, because it's fucking fantastic, but unsurprising, because (a) it's only really been marketed at the nerd audience (it had a huge presence at Comic-Con this year, and I've been seeing things about it on various nerd-centric websites for months, but virtually none of my non-comic-reading friends have even been aware it exists), and (b) said nerd audience clearly isn't as big as film studios still seem to think it is.

Also, as far as the nerd audience thing goes, Dredd is a very obscure character in the 'States. That audience probably works a lot better over there for characters they've actually heard of...

Absolutely.

It's a bit like they've decided that they don't have to bother plugging a Human Gargoyles film because the nerds will go and see it anyway, but the nerds in the 'States are a lot more likely to have heard of the Human Gargoyles than Dredd.

I think the last attempt that was seriously made to raise the character's profile on your side of the pond was fifteen years back over the shitawful Stallone flick rather than the comics. If that's the only association the character has for American moviegoers, small wonder the new flick's tanking...

True that.

I also think the probem lies in not getting a very wide distribution of Dredd comics over here.

and , I have to say that while I enjoyed the film quite a bit (though I thought it could have done with a lot more black humour), it probably didn't help that it had the same basic plot as The Raid, a much, much better film.

Having not seen the Raid I can't really comment on that, but agree on the black humor front.

But the film was enjoyable, though I think it could have spent more time in the beginning making Dredd look more badass. Dredd came across as judge who is good at his job, but nothing that would have reason to scare the crap out of every lawbreaker in Mega-city 1. I think that Judge Anderson was handled quite nicely.

So I woke up this morning at 4.20am and couldn't get back to sleep. Perfect time to finally cross this off of my watchlist.

I know next to nothing about Judge Dredd - apart from what I have seen from the Stallone flick - so my comments come from a point of being uninitiated.

It was freaking awesome! One of the most violent movies I have seen in a lonnng time. But it was just so well done, the acting was classy (Karl Urban is one of those actors I get excited to see in a movie) and the story, while simple, was well executed. I have to say - it really would be a shame if it didn't get a sequel - but then - I watched it for free - so I am as much to blame...

Lastly, one of the best villian deaths I can remember - oh so pretty and oh so gruesome! We have Gavin Free from the slomoguys on youtube to thank for all those dream like sequences!

[media=350x500]

[/media]

You ought to read some of the classic Dredd comics, and that's a fact, Jack. =]

It is like hearing someone say they know next to nothing about the FF or Ironman or Spiderman.

*Watches vid*

My God !.