Sign in to follow this  
Avaunt

Wizards by Ralph Bakshi

is it worth mentioning that the whole damned film seems to be on youtube?

Mind you, you can get it on DVD for less than a fiver in any case.

You can tell that Ian Miller had a hand in the design work for this flick, can't you?

Did you watch it when it came out, dogpoet?.

I remember even the weather on the day we went to see it, they did a deal so the schools could take their arts classes along, I think at the time it was considered a big thing from the point of view of encouraging people into the arts. Something like, even the little guys can do it.

Avaunt, you would have to be of an advanced age for that to be true. Somewhere around the age of Ade or me, unless you have a time machine.

<---- 45, plus, New Zealander.

In those far off proto-electronic days, New Zealand was the distant ends of the earth, slinks. Hard for people to credit now, we simply were two or three years behind everyone else, in distibution. Books even, but certainly movies and music. in 1985, Queen, at the time one of the top selling and performing bands in the world, came out to NZ on their "Works" tour. The album had been released in feb, 1984, and they got here in april, 1985. The album had not even reached the distributors, it was another three months before anyone saw a copy in the shops.

We waited for more than a year to see Starwars. A movie that wasn't "big, big , big" would generally be three or four years before it made it to NZ. And I suspect that Mr Bakshi didn't have the greatest distribution company in all the world.

I am guessing that I went along with my art class in 1982 to see this film, but may have been 1981 or 83.

Did you watch it when it came out, dogpoet?.

I remember even the weather on the day we went to see it, they did a deal so the schools could take their arts classes along, I think at the time it was considered a big thing from the point of view of encouraging people into the arts. Something like, even the little guys can do it.

I'm afraid the cinema release was a bit before my time. I do remember watching it on the telly at some point in the early '80s, though. If one of the ITV franchises had bought a print of it, I'm very surprised it was never on more...

I saw it in the theaters. it was my favorite movie at the time, even more than star wars and my other favorite, close encounters. the whole magic vs tech theme suited me just fine.