Sign in to follow this  
Avaunt

Boldly going again.

"The Doctor lies"

One of the producers/writers....Orci?...said that character is NOT in it

He's in one of the first series stories, Lou: the one with the Galactic Barrier that turns people psychic?

I think he was written as having some history with Kirk (for the obvious reason), so he would be a natural for a film that's taking place prior to the original series...

Yup, Dog. He's a buddy of Kirk's from the Academy.

However, they already did his story in the comics, which take place between the first movie & the upcoming sequel.

Had to research him. Still don;t recall. Could have seen him during an episode of Swill Trek, hence, why I don't remember.

Mitchell was back in the days of turtle necks before black collars.

mitchell.jpg

Here's an idea. Kind of like the first one, why not try uncharted territory? One of the things I loved about the reboot was that it was a big reboot. Vulcan doesn't exist any more, we see nary a klingon, romulans are some bitchass whores when it comes to the vengeance (not to mention their planet went bye-bye, too). It just seemed fresh, you know? I wouldn't mind seeing a modernized Borg coming in and fucking up the Federation in the 3rd or 4th sequel.

No Borg! I've had enough of them to last a loooooooong time. And there's just nothing new to be said with those guys.

Romulous is still around in this re-booted timeline. So they are still a very real, potential threat. The Romulous from the Prime timeline was destroyed, while the Vulcan of the re-boot timeline is gone.

Rumors are there will be Klingons in this sequel. I could get into that. Especially based on the deleted scene from the first movie, what with their Predator styled masks

They should fuck the borg in the arse with and acid nob and give them a temporal enema and we never have to see their Cylon-photocopy failhood ever again I hate them they suck.

*cough*

That is to say, I think the borg are not very good characters from the point of view of science fiction, and I would wish Star trek to pretend they never existed.

i were joking bout that borg. if it were done without a human borging, mebbe, but no.

i meant mock turtle.

Huh. I like dthe Borg. Maybe a bit of a one trick pony that they over used, but still fun.

Your boy Cumberbun would seem like a great choice for this Mitchell cat.

I liked the idea of the Borg. I forgave Star trek pinching it, as of course the whole idea of literature is about pinching and re-working stuff.

I just hate that they made them comprehensible to normal lifeforms. Their motives and attitudes end up simply being about normal life-forms motives and attitudes. They just ebnd up as another bumpy headed alien stand-in for Russians or Germans or another enemy-de-jour. They end up with a queen who directs them, for goodness sake.

And yes, on top of that failure of imagination, in the end they were also done to death with the exposure.

What would be cool, would be to have borg as uncomprehensible as a super-nova, the kind of technology singularity that, for all the science of the Federation, the borg is so advanced, that they can't be understood or communicated with, or resisted, just avoided.

Like all alien STAR TREK species, the Borg would have been more formidable if they were less humanoid (my nutsack for a sci-fi franchise with aliens that aren't obviously humans in a mask or latex), and if they were designed by Giger himself, rather than being inspired by his work. I say hook Giger and Terry Gilliam up with a tube connecting them both to each opther's heads and force them to design a non-humanoid Borg with lots of spewing tubes, but no lighting fx you can buy at Spencers in the mall. And the Borg should never talk, just fuck shit up, smash and grab. If you are going to assimilate a species, and you are certain that resistance is futile, why say it? It's unnecessary to communicate with your victims. Do we talk to the fire ant pile right before we obliterate their mound with poison? (well, I do. I like to give super villain monologues every time I carpet bomb bugs, but most people don't. Electric meat puppets wouldn't either).

If I was to try it, I would have the borg craft simply shut down the various functions of anyone attempting to stop them or deal with them.

A spaceship without sensors is harmless. You don't need to disarm a blind opponent.

I would do it that way because after all, super science or not, the borg would see people attacking them as "some outside force impinging on us". The universe is big, full of various forces, it wouldn't be good practice to break out the Total Annihilation Device every time some part of the universe interfered with your plans. First you would try simply avoiding the thing, more cost effective.

I would also think long and hard before I settled on a motive for their being anywhere near other lifeforms. The motives just have to make more sense than "Assimilating everything". Especially if they don't actually assimilate everthing, and given the ability they showed on ST, where they only took hours to assimilate a big ship, they ought to either be destroyed or exponentially expand in a matter of years to cover the galaxy.

Things we valued wouldn't necessarily be valuable to them. Ants like crumbs, crumbs are rubbish to us.

Wheat fields however . . .

As for acting the aliens, I wonder why no one has tried putting costumes on dogs. We had a dog who was really very happy to play silly beggars if you played too. I bet you could design a costume that had a single large hind leg, that the dogs back legs fitted into, and you would have a three legged alien.

The Borg should be like army ants. If they have a queen, which would make some sense, they should carry her around like a battle standard. Rather than remaining stationary they leave a wake as they expand, like a galactic ripple. ST:FC had a terrible third act. That pretty much ended the Borg for me. Space vampires are cool, but why bother injecting nanites into people manually when you have teleportation? A Borg could just strut down a ship hallway with a "fuck you" face on while the crew members around it started screaming and writhing to the Assimilation Polka. For that matter why not just mass produce robot ships that could spew nanites everywhere without even worrying about finding alien life, and send that shit out 24/7, or whatever a day/week is on your planet?

We need a new show. All the Carl Sagan ideas about prejudices like geocentrism inevitably disappearing with the increase of knowledge are valid but Star Trek never kept up with modern technology, let alone its own.

ST:FC had a terrible third act.

It isn't like the first two were all that good, either.

:icon_wink:

ST:FC had a terrible third act.

It isn't like the first two were all that good, either.

:icon_wink:

Sadly true, but why have the queen be no more than a leather bottle opener when she could have been something elemental like V-GER, as Avaunt suggested. That's when it all fell apart for me.

The Borg should be like army ants.

Hell. Yes.

Space vampires are cool, but why bother injecting nanites into people manually when you have teleportation?

to be fair to the borg, Star Trek with its matter transmitters/transfomers fails on many more counts than the borg not using them right.

They would be unstoppable weapons in so many ways that are not used.

Off the top of my head, you could get up to light speed heading towards a distant target, transmitt a half tonne of iron outside your ship, then drop into warp drive and go ahead of the light cone the missile lump is traveling down, engage your enemy and lure them into the irons path. Infinite energy/mass in a point source arriving ahead of its light cone, no way to see it to avoid it.

For that matter why not just mass produce robot ships that could spew nanites everywhere without even worrying about finding alien life, and send that shit out 24/7, or whatever a day/week is on your planet?

Yeah, that is what I meant about the borg being too human-like, just another stand if for human nature. They are made out to be different to us, to not have personalities, but then they always act FOR themselves, there is always a bipedal borg entity present. If they were the thing they are made out to be, as you say they would not care how they worked, let alone insist on being there to see if they had effect.

Make no mopre star trek. Make Neil Ashers books into movies instead.

The Federation would be impossible to manage if warp drive created time dilation; all the clocks would run at different speeds. I think the shell only affects space in front and behind the ship to oomf it along, so that iron would be traveling at impulse after beaming. I take your meaning though: you could teleport internal organs out of chest cavities if you had that power. When Ebert was tired of seeing the bridge consoles explode in battle he asked why they don't just beam power into the instruments, instead of using these potentially spark-emitting conduits everywhere. Trek really has grown stale. It's a bit of a shame we'll never have a Borg Xtro. :angry: Anyway, Asher's books seem to be my kind of reading so I'll add them to my stack, but since it's already threatening to fall over and kill me it may be a while before I can read them.

They are the bomb, those books. More visceral and accessible then Iain M Banks, but almost as inventive.

Oh, and by far, far far far more blood-thirsty and brutal. Especially the ones set on the world Splatterjay, put your wading boots on before you read those, and remember, milk takes out blood stains on fabric. :)

The Federation would be impossible to manage if warp drive created time dilation; all the clocks would run at different speeds.

Isn't that the point of that "Stardate" stuff on the telly, though? I thought they used that for log entries because time dilation would be enough of a factor that their local time would have diverted from time at their point of origin to at least some extent. That's actually something I really like about the set up in the original series, even if it's obviously been fudged to the extent that it only causes a slight inconvenience when it comes to book keeping, rather than years or decades of relative time being lost on long haul trips.

They are the bomb, those books. More visceral and accessible then Iain M Banks, but almost as inventive.

Oh, and by far, far far far more blood-thirsty and brutal. Especially the ones set on the world Splatterjay, put your wading boots on before you read those, and remember, milk takes out blood stains on fabric. :)

Great. Something else I need to get around to reading...

Hmmm....just curious, what Neal Asher books do you suggest?

Also, for whatever it's worth. The transporters always had some limitations due to power requirements, distance and composition of the material being transported. That's why they never used replicators (based on transporter tech) to make whole ships. It would take too much power & resources. Also, when transporting people there is a distance limit because the signal will break down

The thought of someone using transporters to remove vital organs......damn! That's harsh. OR transport a bomb inside someone