Sign in to follow this  
slinker

Batman's real daddy: Kane gets Fingered!

Now dig this:

CCI: Revealing Bill Finger's "Batman" Contributions

"Batman's biggest secret is not Bruce Wayne," author Marc Tyler Nobleman told the audience as he previewed his new book "Bill, the Boy Wonder: The Secret Co-Creator of Batman" at Comic-Con International in San Diego.

Nobleman's book, the result of five years of research, tells the story of Bill Finger, one of the most influential and least-known creators in comic book history, dispelling a number of myths and rumors about Batman's origin. "Official" creator Bob Kane (contractually identified as sole creator on all Batman materials) was quick to claim that Batman was entirely his creation. Nobleman begs to differ, stating unequivocally, "Everything creative that you can name about Batman, everything that has endured, is Bill Finger. Even his costume; Bill was the writer, but Bill designed the costume, too. He was a very visual writer; artists loved him for that. So the pointy ears, the dark color scheme, the scalloped cape -- that's all Bill. Bob Kane said as much in his autobiography."

Many creators, Jerry Robinson and Carmine Infantino among them, assert that Finger's role was much larger than Kane ever acknowledged. Kane's original conception of Batman was described by him as a man in a red bodystocking with a Lone Ranger-style black mask and cumbersome rigid bat-wings attached to the underside his arms. It was Finger who suggested that Batman ought to look like a bat, looking up "bat" in the dictionary and showed Kane the accompanying illustration. From that, Finger suggested the design of the costume.

Finger also wrote the stories that introduced Robin, Catwoman, the Joker, the Penguin, the Batmobile, the Batcave and Gotham City, as well as Batman's origin story. Beyond the Dark Knight, the Golden Age writer also co-created Green Lantern with Mart Nodell and wrote stories for several other DC characters including Superman, where he created Lana Lang. Fonger was also the only Batman writer to also write a script for the Batman TV show (a two-part episode, "The Clock King's Crazy Crimes.") Even so, most modern fans have never heard of Bill Finger.

continued at the link

I always thought of Bill Finger as co-creator of The Bat-man, alongside Bob Kane.

Do you think the story about Finger needing to show Kane a picture of a bat from the dictionary is actually true though? That's a damn funny story.

I was pretty sure Finger was credited with Kane as creators of The Batman today.

Finger wrote The Batman funny book for a good number of years. He was still writing the book well into the 1950s.

Here's a picture of what would have been the original Dark Knight Detective:

http://blogs.peru21.pe/comics21/03-Bill-finger.jpg

It's easy to mistake him with Red Raven.

Never heard of Finger. I have read some newspaper comic collections of Batman along with a random editor's introduction, and they only mention Bob Kane. So for me this is news.

I was aware that Bill Finger was grossly under-credited for Batman's creation, but it's great to read some specifics. Thanks for the slink, Linker.

Do you think the story about Finger needing to show Kane a picture of a bat from the dictionary is actually true though?

Dunno if it's true, but it's totally believable. I see people behaving that obtusely, way too often.

Never heard of Finger. I have read some newspaper comic collections of Batman along with a random editor's introduction, and they only mention Bob Kane. So for me this is news.

Yeah...I've been given to understand that the specific terms of Kane's contract with DC mean that they're legally prohibited from using any creator credit other than "Batman created by Bob Kane". Even though, according to most sane understandings of "created by", he really wasn't. At all.

This isn't news to me - it's long been a fairly open secret that "created by Bill Finger and Jerry Robinson" would be a rather more accurate credit for Batman and most of the original associated characters/trademarks - but it's nice to see it getting some publicity.

Another +1. It's nice to see a published admission that Bob Kane created Batman the same way that '50s MOR singers used to create their songs: demanding a credit for being in the same room as the person who did all of the creative type stuff

I'll probably be getting this book when it appears. Should be a good read.

It was news to me, too. Batman has always been portrayed so differently by his various creative teams that I find him to be an inconsistent character with silly villains, so I never paid that much attention to him. I was more of a Marvel fan growing up, too, so I used to look down my nose at DC characters. Then I read Dark Knight Returns and that changed everything for me. It's a shame that something this big gets snaked from the hands of its creator and awarded to a proxy, which it sounds like that's all Bob Kane was.

To be fair, Bob Kane did come up with a fairly crap rip off of the Phantom all by himself.

It's just everything that's even slightly distinctive about Batman as a character that was added by Finger and Robinson, rather than being Kane's work...

Phuck, the Phantom gets a mention!.

I never heard of this Fingers character, sounds like a mobster!.

Phuck, the Phantom gets a mention!

Just have a look at the piccie of the original crappy design Kane came up with (in slinker's link in the OP): it looks like the Phantom with a shittier colourscheme and newspapers stuck in his armpits.

:icon_wink:

Phuck, the Phantom gets a mention!

Just have a look at the piccie of the original crappy design Kane came up with (in slinker's link in the OP): it looks like the Phantom with a shittier colourscheme and newspapers stuck in his armpits.

icon_wink.gif

Blond Batman.

Do.Not.Want.

Hmm. Batnipples . . . No, still uninterested in Blonde Batman, but good try Aussie!.

Hey, did your womenfolk pull your Olympic medal fat out of the fire?. :D