Sign in to follow this  
Christian

PorPor Books Blog

This is a blog I've really been enjoying lately, namely Por Por Books.

It has reviews of comic books plus science fiction/fantasy/horror books dating from the late-1960s through the 1980s. In other words, the period of that type of literature of which I'm most fond.

Lots of neat entries, and some titles to discover. It should appeal to some other members of this forum.

http://theporporbooksblog.blogspot.com/

That looks really interesting. I will check it out, in more depth, later when I find more time. :)

Seeing that Vampire Tales, reminds me that I'd like to see Marvel get back to some horror books, do sort of their own Vertigo thing, with Moebius, Man-Thing, Ghost Rider, Son of Satan, Dracula, Blade....even Doctor Stranger? Or I'd be ok with Doctor Voodoo

Marvel seems too busy with their main superhero books to bother to put the time into any horror titles.

Every time Marvel has shown signs of being interested in their horror properties, they end up messing it up, and moving on.

With Marvel NOW!, it would be a chance to relaunch some of those books, but it seems like Marvel has already invested all their talent into their first tier books (Avengers, X-Men), and that every book's creative team announced as following the initial reluanch has been met with groans.

Remember when Marvel launched a Dr. Voodoo book written by Remender that got rave reviews, and then they canceled the book witihn 6 months, doe to reported low sales? That was pretty pathetic.

Vampire Tales, by the way, wasn't one of Marvel's better horror titles.

I dunno how far they'd get these days with a title like "Son of Satan".

As for the PorPor Books Blog, when I went there the page was filled with Father Shandor from Warrior. Instant win. Thanks for the link!

They have tried to relaunch those books three or four times since Warren Ellis's Druid & Son of Satan (or Hellstorm to give it a nifty side-step of the kind of people who would be agitated by the original title). Each with diminishing returns, or becoming more aimed at people for whom heavy metal is the only soundtrack of horror. Paul Jenkin's Werewolf by Night & Strange Tales was the last time I had any enduring interest in that line.

It's funny. Marvel became the #1 comic company by a landslide in the 1970s in very large part by tapping the horror zeitgeist in popular culture. After the comic recession hit in the late-1970s, Marvel didn't bother with any of those characters in the 1980s resurgence.

DC then tapped into horror comics as they moved into the #1 spot in the 1980s.

Meanwhile, Marvel never really tried to focus on their horror properties again, and when they did, they failed miserably.

Ellis' Hellstorm is probably still my favourite Warren Ellis comic. The less said about the "Midnight Sons" horror line, though, the better.

That little "Strange Tales" line in the late-1990s was gold, as far as creative teams, but the sales were abysmal, and they lasted about eight months.

Meanwhile, DC launched an entire imprint with heavy emphasis on horror.

Marvel's attempt to revive the characters with MAX have all been failures, but their creative teams were lacking too.

Oh, and Son of Satan showed up in this week's Wolverine & The X-Men issue, and it was very funny.