Shawn

Hellblazer ends! Constanteen begins.

Hellblazer will end with #300. A mercy killing? Maybe. But there will be Constantine by Robert Venditti and Renato Guedes, taking place in the DCU.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/constantine-relaunch-dc-comics.html

Our worst fears come true. Perhaps it needed to happen, I don't know. I've zero interest in this new title.

Well, guys, it's been real. I'm out as of Hellblazer #300. I'm not even sure why I'm still reading the title as it is--but I sure as hell have no interest in reading the N52 version.

• Upvote 2

Well, I figured this might happen - a milestone reboot to stick him back in the increasingly meh nuDCU fold. A *good* writer, or having him in the OldDCU might have tickled my fancy but this... it's like a mutual break up.

I don't know...... I'm still sorry to see the current run finish. A change of writer would've been preferable, and I get the impression from this that Milligan's lacklustre run has been allowed to drag on because the high heedyins at DC / Vertigo have had this up their sleeves for a while.

That said, I'll probably still buy the new title out of a love for the character (much like my continuing to buy Green Arrow), even if just to give the new guy a chance. New comics I'm interested in tend to get a 12 month probation so I see myself continuing to buy it for at least that length of time.

I know he's already in the New52 now by virtue of JLD, but Animal Man being in JLE didn't stop him doing more weird stuff in his own (non-Vertigo, DCU) title at the same time, so it doesn't automatically follow that Constantine will have the same Nick-Necro-worshipping JC as they have in JLD. By that token I'll give Constantine a chance, Venditti did emphasise the con-man aspect of his character.

If they turn him into a brooding plain-clothes Dr Strange rip-off who casts spells to get himself out of every sticky situation then I'll be out though.

Who are you people?!? And what have you done with John & Ade? :icon_wink:

Really though, Venditti isn't bad, at all. His X-O has been solid. He's also taking over Demon Knights. MAYBE if he was taking over Hellblazer, I'd care.

We've spoken before about the future of the title and I'm not really that bothered about it going away - I'm surprisingly annoyed at them rebooting it in a PG superhero universe though.

A quality mature readers Hellblazer OGN/Mini-series every year or two would do me.

I haven't read anything past "Scab" from Peter Milligan's run. Given all the reactions over the years as to what came after it, I'm glad I stopped buying the comic. Still, Hellblazer was a comic I enjoyed reading and collecting and I'm sad to see it cancelled. I agree that another writer should have taken over before it got to this point, but if John Constantine was being tortured by bad writing to the point that he was no longer the same character I enjoyed reading...I say this is for the best.

We've spoken before about the future of the title and I'm not really that bothered about it going away - I'm surprisingly annoyed at them rebooting it in a PG superhero universe though.

A quality mature readers Hellblazer OGN/Mini-series every year or two would do me.

Who's to say, I'm sure a marketing manager or someone will check in on DC HQ in a few years' time to ask about "this Hellblazer brand name property", and how they could get some money from it. And then they'd get Delano to write another OGN. #onecendream

meh. had to happen I guess. It's been sucking wind for a while now. Hellblazer ended at 250 for me.

Was a good run.

*pours 40 oz malt liquor on the curb*

That said, if they release a few one shots or OGNs by some decent folks I might bite.

• Upvote 1

Close down the regular series, let the kids have their Nick Necro wannabe.

Let grown ups have grown up Hellblazer OGNs.

And yeah, if they weave it into Animal Man and Swamp Thing and fuck Justice League Goth off to Bad Idea Land, this will be for the better.

Seems like I'm on my own here, but I'm very sad to hear this news. I picked up Hellblazer 1 on my first visit to a proper comic shop and it's been the only constant in my comic buying life since 1988, I feel like I'll be loosing a friend, (albeit a friend who I sometimes wonder why I even see them anymore). I will buy the new book, even if it's rubbish just for my OCD with all things John Constantine.

• Upvote 3

On the upside, maybe this'll bring a few new/old people back to the boards.

I'm going to quote spiderlegs from Facebook, because he says something I think really will happen. He also gives me credit for calling this a year ago and I almost never have any proof when I'm right.

I hate DC! As of this moment, i boycott everything by DC except Dark Knight Returns 2, and hopefully I'll steal it. If I spend money on anything by that shithole company, it will be used so the money doesn't go to them. Slinker (one of my cohorts on the Hellblazer playlst) said a year ago they were going to kill off Constantine, but he was half right: they are killing off Hellblazer to give birth to the weaker demon Constantine. That's what we're getting--a weak sister facsimile of one of DC's best characters. When Slinker said they would kill him off, I responded flippantly that if that happened I'd boycott DC and since I've only been reading Hellblazer now and then and Unwritten (which I'm torn about because I really do like Mike Carey's writing) but a deal is a deal. DC killed Hellblazer and want to replace him with a Manchurian Mage-they'll call him John Constantine, but since no one even marginally connected to DC knows how to write him, he won't be John Constantine. My guess is they'll make him more like Keanusteen. They'll do a body switch with Nick Necro who looks like Keanusteen and thus, not only will they have killed John but paved the way for a sequel to suck the hollywood cock harder than the first one. Welcome back, Keanu, you waste of fuking face! DC, I'm done. You must have monkeys working as executives. Fuck you! Fuck your WB fuckdolls. I hope you go broke but that the 3 or 4 talented people left there get picked up by a real comic label doing really cool comics...like Image! Image is the future, DC is Super Friends. "Form of toilet water! Shape of a fat smelly turd! Wonder Twin powers...FLUSH!" Thank you, there will be no encore!

And

A friend of mine said something similar, not that they'd start a new series but just continue JLD John. But here's my theory. Nick Necro looks like who? Movie John, mayhaps? I predict a permanent Freaky Friday scenario in which Nick and John switch bodies, hello Keanusteen 2. Hello shitty sequel to the shitty Keanusteen. Francis Lawrence has his revenge. If there's anyone who hates the comic's fans more than Francis Lawrence, they must be hiding deep underground or out in space. As far as public figures go, Lawrence hates us more than anyone. Fuck him!

This all to pave way for a shitty keanusteen sequel that fans can't complain that he's not British and not blonde. It's the Yankification of John Constanteen. Truly. I think our Jef is on to what their plans are for our John. Fuck DC in the face, man. I may not boycott DC completely because Punk Rock Jesus is cool and so is Unwritten, but they're both Vertigo. I'm done with DC proper, though. This is a terrible move, even though I suggested half of it, I didn't say bring him back and turn him into Nick Necro. That's some devious two-faced shit.

And he just posted this.

Look at Necro's character: dark hair,American, trenchcoat, actor-like features...why, he's Keanu Reeves. I know! They should get him for the movie version. They can eat my whole asshole. Fuck DC. And fuck Vertigo for going limp on THEIR signature character.

DC isn't fooling anyone. And the sequel will be rated...PG-13. What a bunch of whores. That's the only way you can describe them. WHORES.

• Upvote 1

I get all the (valid) arguments for ending Hellblazer but, damn, this gutted me. I am feeling quite unexpectedly sad about this. Been hanging over me all day. I guess I'm a nostalgic sort of person. Been reading Hellblazer as long as I've been reading comics.

Slinker: Has it been reported anywhere that JC is going to be 'Yankified'? I'm sure he'll still be British in the PG title.

• Upvote 1

Just been thinking - when Hellblazer finally goes in Feb, what will that make this place?

We'll be the comics equivalent of Grimley Colliery Band from Brassed Off.

We're gonna need more Yorkshiremen.

• Upvote 3