Shawn

Hellblazer ends! Constanteen begins.

We're gonna need more Yorkshiremen.

You called?

I dunno, Hellblazer's been dying slowly for me ever since Mike Carey called it a day. At this point it feels like a mercy killing. I'm more upset that I'm not upset, if you know what I mean. Shame it had to go out like this, but the writing's been on the wall for a while, I think. Hey ho - I'll always have my OGNs, and my memories of the Bristol and London cons. Big love to StH, the first forum that made me actually meet people from off the interwebs.

• Upvote 2

But you are aware they aren't burying him, but reanimating his corpse for the DCU? That's what some of us are on about. He's long past his expiration date but they're pulling out his teeth, fitting him for a cape and tights and scrubbing off his butt tattoo for the DCU kids. It's reprehensible to some people. I'm over it completely. until I see another post in this thread and then I'm a mess again.

• Upvote 1

Slinker - you know that ( just like the movie and JLD) is simply CINO, and bears no relation to OUR guy. Our guy's dying, let's give him a good sendoff, and he might come visit us from the afterlife from time to time in a one-shot or an OGN.

Slinker - you know that ( just like the movie and JLD) is simply CINO, and bears no relation to OUR guy. Our guy's dying, let's give him a good sendoff, and he might come visit us from the afterlife from time to time in a one-shot or an OGN.

Now there's an acronym I haven't heard in seven years

Please to explain CINO acronym?

Please to explain CINO acronym?

Godzilla Constantine in Name Only.

Also meaning Catwoman In Name Only, but then I realize Halle got problems of her own these days (i.e. Custody battle) outside of that nightmare.

Quote of the day:

batman has like a million different books

but we can’t keep hellblazer

o k a y

random Tumblr

Got another comment quote via Robot6:

Didio is a hack. When is he going to figure out that cannibalizing the intellectual properties of other publishing companies and slapping a DC logo on them won’t help him sell his crappy superhero books. First wildstorm was stripped for ideas and charectors, and now vertigo. The sad part is, It was never the charectors that made vertigo and wildstorm books so popular, it was the writers that brought fresh, new concepts and original ideas. No amount of shenghai’d vertigo charectors will ever make the new 52 books good. They are just terrible, stereotypical 90′s trash with a few cannibalized concepts and charectors. I’ve been reading vertigo books since the 90′s. I own all of hellblazer, sandman, animal man, and swamp thing in individual issues. But after this trash, and shamelessly milking watchmen for prequels against moore’s wishes, I have little to no interest left in buying their books at all. I will purchase Neil gaimans sandman prequel when it’s released, and then I think I’m done with DC entirely. It’s clear that they don’t have any respect for writers, fans, or anything but the almighty dollar. Congratulations DC, you’ve managed to destroy the one line that made your books worthwhile.

And from the Comic Alliance comments:

It's funny that they expect this to work out better. will it technically sell more copies than Hellblazer did in the end? probably. but will it sell well by mainstream superhero book standards? no chance. Justice League Dark is already losing readers like crazy despite having the Justice League name attached to it. I can't imagine this doing even that well, much less better.

and I understand that Hellblazer had a great long run and that it wasn't selling that well anymore and this was bound to happen someday, but god damn don't act like you're doing us a favor with this

I am sad. I don't know about the last stories, just catching up with Denise Mina run. But I am sad. Well, everything dies at some point.

So, it was asked before and maybe it's not the appropriate thread to ask, but what is going to happen with the forum?

I am sad. I don't know about the last stories, just catching up with Denise Mina run. But I am sad. Well, everything dies at some point.

So, it was asked before and maybe it's not the appropriate thread to ask, but what is going to happen with the forum?

I'm sure we'll still be here. The Birds of Prey Online site and forum's still going strong nine years after the 13th (and final) episode aired.

No it isn't.

That's a washing machine he's sitting on, not a photocopier, Jason.

:wink:

• Upvote 1

Considering there's about ten regular members, and we seem to know each other and enjoy chatting, I'm sure the Forum will last after the death of Hellblazer.

It'll just be a place to remember Hellblazer.

I'm wondering how long John Constantine will last in the DCU. Considering DC is being forced to shed books every six months, based on their new sales model, how long before JLD or Constantine hits below the cutting mark?

With Vertigo, sales weren't as big a consideration as they are at mainstream DC, and as people have pointed out Justice League Dark continues to lose readers. No book is safe in the New 52, unless it's Superman or Batman.

I'm wondering how long John Constantine will last in the DCU. Considering DC is being forced to shed books every six months, based on their new sales model, how long before JLD or Constantine hits below the cutting mark?

With Vertigo, sales weren't as big a consideration as they are at mainstream DC, and as people have pointed out Justice League Dark continues to lose readers. No book is safe in the New 52, unless it's Superman or Batman.

Based on that, it might be entirely possible to go thru the entire death & resurrection cycle for "Hellblazer" before 2014. :tongue:

Oh, look! A new article.:

http://mombcomics.co...vertigo-and-dc/

Why readers and retailers favour “mainstream” books over “fringe” ones in such a definitive way?

Why publishers so often fail to promote the work that needs more help finding its audience?

Why in over twenty years DC never sorted out their TPB collection policy on Hellblazer?

And why our whole comic media – often including this site and podcast and writer – are so geared toward speculation and discussion of franchises over straight-up down-the-line stories?

It is a sad, and inexplicable, fact of life that fans are always going to choose superhero titles over other comics. They're also more likely to read non-superhero specific books that figure in with wider continuity.

Branding must play a part. The Marvel and DC logo are supposed to be a sign of mainstream acceptance and quality, while indy must mean "not good enough to make it at Marvel or DC" (HA!), and Vertigo is a sign of "weird, fringe" material, not stuff that appeals to the casual reader or generalized comic book fan.

It's always going to be non-sensical to try to figure it out too far. V For Vendetta being published by Dark Horse would never have gotten the attention of V For Vendetta being published by DC, even though it's the exact same book.

I guess you can argue that comic books were the original home of superheroes, while other works being done in the comic medium were originally finding a home in prose form.

Roy Thomas is steaming or Philip Wylie is spinning in his grave as I write this....

That doesn't explain why people would much rather buy a horribly written comic month after month, instead of branching out to try new material.

• Upvote 1

I don't know about this. One of the one hand, I can sort of understand it from a business stand point. I don't think Hellblazer has been doing that well in the sales department for a few years. So they thought with him now appearing in things like the New Swamp Thing (which is actually pretty good.) and the New Animal Man (which is also dandy.). I would say that they are probably thinking that he needs a more mainstreamed introduction. My main concern is with the fact that they'll probably ignore the 300+ issues of history and character, not to mention have it to where he can call for back up if he's ever in trouble. Rather than having him rely on his wits and trickery to get him out of a problem.

Also, I have a strong feeling that the last issue of this series will either have him die or just walk off into the sunset (which is pretty cliched and lame for his character to do.). While I don't really HATE Peter Milligans run, I will say that his run has kind been rather chaotic with him introducing a love interest, then killing her off a few issues later and a bunch of other stuff he's introduced to the character.

Wolvy, the continuity will be ignored, yes. DC is saying this is a different character than the John Constantine of the Vertigo books.

First of all, he's nearly 30 years younger (well, not quite since John was de-aged in the Vertigo series as well, but if he still aged in real time), so that's got to cut away a good number of years worth of continuity.

Plus, in the #0 issue of Justice League Dark, John's origin was totally rewritten. Newcastle was ret-conned away, for one example.

Which means that all the Hellblazer continuity is now irrelevant. John's been running around with Deadman, playing Indiana Jones, for the past ten years.

We had a thread a long time ago on here asking how we thought (or would end, if given the power to decide) the Hellblazer series would end.

I'm pretty sure my answer was that he got hit by a car while crossing the street on his way to get a pack of cigs, and I'm sticking with that answer.

• Upvote 1

It is a sad, and inexplicable, fact of life that fans are always going to choose superhero titles over other comics.

Because USA likes superheroes since 1930 after noir was banned, and then trained the whole world to like them with movies, toys and cartoons. I started Spawn because the cape looked cool in the movie and he killed pedophile rapists with hooked chains. I read Hellblazer and Sandman because of the story. Batman or Safe Area Gorazde? Who is a journalist giving a voice to the survivors in Bosnia, and who is a rich super intelligent man that does what police cannot?

And about the monthly sales not being good thing. What the hell? Why don´t publishers sell their fucking 50 Shades of Twilight Potter in monthly chapters, too? If Hellblazer don´t work as a monthly title, publish a 120-page graphic novel every year. It´s how Planeta Agostini is selling them in Spain since years. Isn´t it worthly trying, while minimising loses? But no, they straight-up cancel it, or well, rebrand it as Monthly Hellblazer-Zero Sugar.

Oh well, it´s their business, their character and all. It was a good comic and a good story for years.

hellblazer300.jpg

HELLBLAZER #300

Written by Peter Milligan, art by Giuseppe Camuncoli and Stefano Landini, cover by Simon Bisley.

Final issue! It's the heart-rending conclusion of "Death and Cigarettes" -- and the end of Vertigo's longest running series. John Constantine has escaped, cheated, narrowly avoided and even reversed death on multiple occasions over the past 25 years. Now, we will test whether the old boy has one more second chance in him. An epic, oversized special issue celebrating everything that makes John Constantine so bloody unique.

48 pages, $4.99, in stores on Feb. 20.