Shawn

Hellblazer ends! Constanteen begins.

I think so...in exchange for a trade of Paul Jenkins' Inhumans run, possibly.

It was me, John. In exchange for a bazillion things.

I'm a bad man with obvious memory issues, sorry chief.

No problem, John, my first association with toys is also the honourable Mr. K.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/11/13/to-john-constantine/

But John Constantine does not die with a DC managerial decision. He will not live on in a PG-13 what-if world either. He is too strong a character with too much importance to take either of those paths. So, instead, Constantine waits

Of course, they're whoring him out good the month before. He's in Phantom Stranger 4, Sword of Sorcery 4, and Animal Man 16.

I realized what it'll mean for him to step back into the DCU, and that's the complete loss of the personal stories. John's always going to be the bombastic prick who's always telling people how clever he is.

That said, I REALLY FUCKING WANT Constantine and the Joker to dance. I'll be completely dissappointed with the comic, but in my head, it's the best outcome of John coming back to the DCU.

I don't think I'd be half-as-down on this as I am if it weren't for that awful Nick Necro nonsense - I mean, the guys on Swamp Thing and Animal Man were doing some pretty good stuff on their teen-rated titles the last time I check in.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I just read that in the pub.

Lots of stupid, but nothing offensive.

It merely confirms all my prejudice about Super Hero Universes.

Here's a thing about JLDumbass: THERE ARE NO REAL PEOPLE IN THESE COMICS.

• Upvote 1

No, Slinker, "real people".

Believable characters who are there for purposes of depth and realism.

The opposite of NSPs* in films.

*NSP = Non Speaking Part, ie the movie extra who is spoken to but does not reply because that would increase their salary.

You've all seen them. In real life they'd say "Thanks" or "You need the next aisle" or "Is someone sitting there".

There is no-one real in JLD books.

• Upvote 1

Swamp Thing and Animal Man have both had very horrific scenes in their comics. Reminscent of a Vertigo book, and surprsingly so.

Yet, Justice League Dark never had that. Even before #0, when they ruined any chance of things being any good for DCU John, JLD was more like a pre-teen horror series.

Spain-Felix Faust has been around DC since the 1960s.

Dr. Mist was based on a character from a H. Rider Haggard novel, who was later adapted in the DCU.

Nick Necro is just plain stupid.

Some of the scenes in Animal man have been really horrifying indeed, I think of the pollution and vivisection and hunting scenes in particular.

Horrifying because utterly everyday.

Spain-Felix Faust has been around DC since the 1960s.

Dr. Mist was based on a character from a H. Rider Haggard novel, who was later adapted in the DCU.

Nick Necro is just plain stupid.

I swear, I didn't know doing comics was that easy. Introducing Flame Fallon, whose power is... donno, falling on flames. No, I know: his power is raining hellfire over his enemies. Ah, he also needs a weakness. One, not two or three, right? Yeah, we don't want to overdo this.

So his weakness is ... wait, something slightly ironic... Ah, yes. He cannot control his powers when he sleeps or goes to the bathroom. Also, he never gets a shower because water would give him cancer. And he's ummm... disfigured and cannot grow a beard.

Despite all this, he's one of the good guys, although no one believes him.

Damnit, I overdid it, did I?

I'm late to this - been off around the world to mark turning 40. I started reading Hellblazer when I was 17 or so, now I'm older than JC was for most of what I still think of as the classic run. I've been enjoying Milligan's run, but not too surprised or upset by this news. It's time.

I hope there will be some decent one-offs to come from Vertigo, a la Pandemonium and Dark Entries, but won't be holding my breath. The DCU thing can fuck right off.

• Upvote 3

There might not be a Chas anymore. John's origin is totally different, nothing says that he ever met Chas in DCU continuity. DC might feel it's too complicated to reference Hellblazer continuity, so they'll leave Chas out.

Maybe they can get Detective Chimp to drive John around. That'll work.

But isn't there a Chas in that BD:Search for Swamp Thing mini? I know that's all pre-flashpoint, but I think that it is still part of the same continuity, like Batman Inc, Green lantern and similar comics that transcended the reboot.

There's really no way to know. It would seem pointless to publish it and then erase it, but it is DC we're talking about.

It's not like they ever bothered to explain what books continuity is still intact and which has been ret-conned.

I mean, we have Batman with a child, with all the Bat-family, moving from street-level crime fighter that people think is an urban legend to "trying to change the world" and setting up a Bat-franchise....all within the span of like six years? That makes no sense, but it's canon now.

I forgot the plot of that mini-series by this point. I would say it all depends on if the continuity matches up with the New 52 Swamp Thing series or not.

i forgot it too. wasn't he just mentioned or was he actually shown? why don't i remember that?

He was even in the preview that DC published in all their books before the mini was released.

He just kept following John around, and acting like a Olly Hardy character.