A. Heathen

Commemorating Hellblazer 2013

26 members have voted

1. 1. When should we arrange a Hellblazer memorial

• The 25th anniversary of Hellblazer #1 (January 2013)
    • The date of the final issue (February 2013)
    • John Constantine's 60th birthday (May 2013)
    • other (please note in thread)
  2. 2. Where should the main event be?*

• London
    • Liverpool
    • Newcastle
    • Inside Dan Didio's rectum
    • other

Alternatively, we could have a "No Trenchcoats" rule.

Just a suggestion.

Even ones that look like they've been drawn by Sean Murphy?

:icon_wink:

I will wear a trenchcoat from Doctor Who if I manage to go. The coat is warm. And bigger on the inside.

Today I learnt about the end of Hellblazer. I am still dealing with it. It's difficult.

Great minds and all that. I've suggested something similar on my blog/twitter. While maybe not the main event, a preliminary event could be a pub gathering near Forbidden Planet in London when the final issue is published, so a gathering can, at least, raise a pint. I like the idea of a 60th birthday, or anniversary of issue #1 as well, but there's no reason a smaller series of events as a wake couldn't be held first.

While this one wouldn't be a forum event (and with the history of this site, that would obviously be worth doing as well) I think it would be worth a couple of events to hopefully convince DC not to make this decision too final. Anyway, here's my blogpost - Wake for a Bastard.

Hello Chris

It's looking like the main event will be in May, but I am up for a meeting in February, and the Angel is as good a place as any.

In my own, small way, I will commemorate it by doing something I'm ashamed that I've not done before......I will start reading Jenkins' Hellblazer run.

So a wake, of sorts, with Paul Jenkins and Sean Phillips.

• Upvote 3

There's something oddly fitting about the idea that what's almost certainly going to amount to the biggest ever meet-up of StH forumites won't be happening until a couple of months after the book has been cancelled.

We should totally make a proper party out of it. Do a wake in style.

• Upvote 2

I will wear a trenchcoat from Doctor Who if I manage to go. The coat is warm. And bigger on the inside.

Today I learnt about the end of Hellblazer. I am still dealing with it. It's difficult.

The 10th Doctor coat? It does bare an eerie resemblance to how Marcelo Frusin drew John's through Highwater to the Wild Cards 3-parter.

The 10th Doctor coat? It does bare an eerie resemblance to how Marcelo Frusin drew John's through Highwater to the Wild Cards 3-parter.

No, the 11th Doctor. YES! Yes the 10th doctor. Sorry I mixed them up. It is actually not a trenchcoat, just a long coat (no belt, for instance). The one of Frusin looks more like a real trenchcoat.

220px-WWITrenchcoat.jpeg

Here's a possible activity on the weekend of Mr Constantine senior's birthday

http://www.bristolexpo.co.uk/

Will most probably stick to our own event in London's swanky London though.

Official event should be Saturday so people can assemble from afar, don't you think?

Official event should be Saturday so people can assemble from afar, don't you think?

I concur.

No, the 11th Doctor. YES! Yes the 10th doctor. Sorry I mixed them up. It is actually not a trenchcoat, just a long coat (no belt, for instance). The one of Frusin looks more like a real trenchcoat.

220px-WWITrenchcoat.jpeg

I meant by length. He always drew it longer than most trenchcoats looked

I concur.

Sorted then.

We might have to do a kickstarter to get J-Mac over.

• Upvote 1

Just, for the love of god (or at least the love of me), have the commemmoration after may the 7th!. The start of may I'm crazy busy at work, you see... And I really really really REALLY want to take part in this.

Christ, with so many of you going, I'll have to ask around if there's any slim chance for me to make the trip (it's hard for Serbs to get UK visas without a real, plausible reason for the visit, and I don't know if "STH gathering to commemorate the cancellation of Hellblazer" will help me get there).

What is it you do again? We could get you an invitation for somethingorother.

Red. what kind of Hellblazer nerd does not know when is "John Constantine's 60th birthday" ???

• Upvote 1

No steady job, I translate books, and comics, write essays and do other journo work, organize comics programme/workshops at the Belgrade book fair...

Can't they fund you to come to "Bristol" ?

Or I could probably organise two interviews for you for prospective international visitors

Nah, I'll have to muster up my own funding, and the Belgrade book fair is a subset of the Belgrade Fair, the venue, which couldn't give two tugs of a dead rat's tail for books, let alone comics, and wouldn't write me a recommendation letter or anything (me saying I'm going to UK to interview prospective guests would probably be seen as a tasteless joke), and the embassy VISA-givers will probably see me as a potential emigree (fuck you, spell check it *is* a real word!) - 30, unemployed, unmarried, liberal-leaning, artsy-fartsy to a degree, wants to go to UK for a brief visit without any plausible reason - and basically the situation here is such that no one will stick their neck out for anyone else. Ho-hum, will have to ask around what is required of me to get a VISA for a brief stay. Will keep you posted if there's any movement on that front.

But thanks for the offer, Ade, I'll lean on you if something like that turns out to be required.

It's "emigré" but you might prefer "illegal immigrant", or something like that.

Tell them you wish to personally deliver an apology to England's black players.

Or meet the publisher of Greetings from Serbia. Or Paul Gravett. http://www.paulgravett.com/index.php/articles/article/pg_tips_-the_best_of_2011/#serbia