slinker

How long has it been for you, then? When you jumped on until Feb. 2013

Nope. The only Swamp Thing i ever actively collected was Vol. 3 which was the last Vertigo one. I liked that though. I should probably be reading the new one, as I am reading Animal Man.

Vol. 4 was the final Vertigo one. Vol. 3 was the Tefe Holland/BKV era.

It's a bit muddied for me, but this is the issue I consider my First: :icon_wink:

HB29.jpg

It was in a sort of lucky-dip bag at a newsagent's, back in the days when newsagents sold comics. Hellblazer was already high on my radar, so it was serendipity to find issue 29 hidden in the bag.

My first issue was in January 1993, #62 End of the Line. I remember it so clearly because it hooked me right away and I consider it a great introduction to JC. It’s still one of my favourite issues.

It’s got a believable real world setting, introduces John’s family, and is a great “Kit” issue.

For the new reader there’s the implication that John is some big cult figure in the occult (the hero worship from the guy who’s a wannabe magician), but at the same time shows that he can bullshit his way to what he wants (the fake curse to put the shits up the guy). For all his skills we see that he knows there are times when magic is just not necessary, there’s a respect for his craft.

Add some great words of wisdom from Kit to Gemma to persuade her to drop the witchcraft (even if it didn’t work eventually). And just in case this new reader was wondering if JC really was capable of all the magic stuff, “there’s just a tiny murder in the night” (which is a line I love).

Did you see my post? We started on the same issue of Hellblazer. We'll always have that....

I think it was a very good starting point for a new fan also. If I couldn't be around for Delano or Dangerous Habits, I think issue #62 would be my next best choice for a starting point. Or, maybe I'm biased.

Also, confession time, I've never read Alan Moore's Swamp Thing.

Cousin Dave....really, now....

I was still very much into the spandex when the run first came out, and i was a little young for a "mature readers" book. Plus i think there were like 2 books out at that time Swamp Thing & Saga of.. and i couldn't figure out if one was a reprint and one was first run or if they were just 2 titles with the same character like Batman and Detective. And, i think they cost like $1.25 or something, who would ever pay that much for comic! even with nicer paper. I did go back and pick up some back issues to stories that were referenced in Starman when Jack went into space.

That version of Saga of the Swamp Thing was the mando-paper deluxe mini-series reprinting the Len Wein run on Swamp Thing from the 1970s. That's why it was so expensive.

The regular series would have just been titled Swamp Thing at the time, and would have been cheaper. That would have been when Rick Veitch was writing the book, I'm pretty sure.

I finally gave in and started buying Swamp Thing when the letter's page of Hellblazer kept referencing John's early appearances in the pages of Swamp Thing.

I was buying Sandman and Hellblazer (and Spawn....), and kept trying to avoid adding another title to my pull list/comics collection. See, I must have been young and not had much money, because today my pull list is far too long. And, my collection....don't even get me started on that!

Anyway, I finally gave in and started collecting Swamp Thing as well.

That opened the door to Animal Man, and then a lot more Vertigo books.

Sandman is a gateway drug. The narcs should be warned of that.

My first issue was in January 1993, #62 End of the Line. I remember it so clearly because it hooked me right away and I consider it a great introduction to JC. It’s still one of my favourite issues.

It’s got a believable real world setting, introduces John’s family, and is a great “Kit” issue.

For the new reader there’s the implication that John is some big cult figure in the occult (the hero worship from the guy who’s a wannabe magician), but at the same time shows that he can bullshit his way to what he wants (the fake curse to put the shits up the guy). For all his skills we see that he knows there are times when magic is just not necessary, there’s a respect for his craft.

Add some great words of wisdom from Kit to Gemma to persuade her to drop the witchcraft (even if it didn’t work eventually). And just in case this new reader was wondering if JC really was capable of all the magic stuff, “there’s just a tiny murder in the night” (which is a line I love).

Did you see my post? We started on the same issue of Hellblazer. We'll always have that....

I think it was a very good starting point for a new fan also. If I couldn't be around for Delano or Dangerous Habits, I think issue #62 would be my next best choice for a starting point. Or, maybe I'm biased.

Ha! You've sparked a memory. That friend didn't have 'Dangerous Habits', because that was the first tpb I bought for myself. The first trade I read was 'Fear & Loathing', and the reason I picked it off her shelf in the first place was because the HST reference caught my eye. And if I recall correctly, #62 is the first issue collected in that trade. So, that makes three of us...

It really is a great starter issue, you're both right.

• Upvote 1

Eh. *cough* Hello. Came to (re)join as the end is nigh for John.

I first ran into Constantine in the Books of Magic trade, and years later got properly introduced to him with Ennis' "Fear and Loathing" trade (I couldn't resist the title). I didn't start picking up the individual issues until Azzarello's "Lapdogs & Englishmen", which I thought was an awesome little two-part con. I enjoyed how far Azz stretched the concept of what JC could be, and it really hooked me on Constantine and made me go back to see what had come before. I kept up all through Carey's run, loved the opening to Dina's first story (c'mon, that t-shirt gag was great... and then the rest of the story happened, and even Manco's art couldn't keep me interested). I couldn't afford most of Diggle's run, but picked it back up with Milligan's stuff. Here we are

• Upvote 2

Welcome back, Raindog, pull up a chair and get comfy, it's gonna be a rough ride into the sunset.

I think it was around issue #190 or something, but then i got a few of the trades and then back tracked 1-40 off ebay. Might check out John Constantine when it launches, but I doubt it.

Welcome back, Raindog, pull up a chair and get comfy, it's gonna be a rough ride into the sunset.

Thanks Rogan, the worst part is that it's not even likely to be an ending, just a stopping point, y'know? There's been a lot of comic blog posts I've read about Hellblazer's cancellation, and I think the central thing everyone's essentially getting at is how its a shame that there's no build up to this. There's no valedictory lap for John or the title, no big finale. Just a useful issue-number coincidence.

I think it was around issue #190 or something, but then i got a few of the trades and then back tracked 1-40 off ebay. Might check out John Constantine when it launches, but I doubt it.

About then for me as far as jumping on for good (til Feb, anyway). I'll formally say "High on Life" as a touchstone. I'd owned Original Sins since it came out but it did not hook me the first time through. I'm at a loss to explain that.

Thanks Rogan, the worst part is that it's not even likely to be an ending, just a stopping point, y'know? There's been a lot of comic blog posts I've read about Hellblazer's cancellation, and I think the central thing everyone's essentially getting at is how its a shame that there's no build up to this. There's no valedictory lap for John or the title, no big finale. Just a useful issue-number coincidence.

Don't forget we get this great new comic rebranding of Johnny Constanteen and his gang of ultrapowerful pals!

Yeah, we already blew through that stage of grief, moaning about the fact they should've had a 100-page jam final issue, with Delano, Bradstreet, Carey, Azz, et al. to cap off a monumental storyline.

I first ran into Constantine in the Books of Magic trade,

Hello Again!

I forgot about tBoM. can't recall if I read that before Dangerous Habits or not.

Since the Morrison guest spot - issue 25, if memory serves. Got the four early Titan reprints around the same time (the mono ones that smelt of vomit), and filled in the gap (most of The Fear Machine) at a comic fair in Sheffield, shortly before leaving home.

Been on board ever since, though came very close to dropping it during Carey's interminable run.

I've only read a few issues of Moore's Swamp Thing, though - basically, the first JC appearance (a pal gave me a spare copy), and the first trade this year. Not sure it's aged that well.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Another anti-Carey heretic! Another one! Seize him! Scramble scramble! stop in the name of some law!

Mike Carey is gospel for some of us. you choose your next words real careful-like. :witchhunt: this is my new favorite emoticon. it says 'you're already outnumbered' whether you are or not. there's power in those 8 red circles holding torches.

I think most HB fans will now say they got exactly that, Rogan. That's what issue #250 was, and that was right before Milligan took over, so a lot of HB fans will rather let #250 mark the end point for HB.

We still haven't seen what's going to happen in #300. I'm not saying it's going to be well written, but it might work well as a coda, instead of just a cancellation at a round number.

I know I discovered Books of Magic after I had already found Hellblazer.

Another anti-Carey heretic! Another one! Seize him! Scramble scramble! stop in the name of some law!

Mike Carey is gospel for some of us. you choose your next words real careful-like. :witchhunt: this is my new favorite emoticon. it says 'you're already outnumbered' whether you are or not. there's power in those 8 red circles holding torches.

Come on now. It's not like he's talking about Delano. Let's not exaggerate.

Besides, he's always saying Alan Moore's Swamp Thing doesn't hold up well. That's surely more sacrilegious for comic book fans.

Tim-You have to read the stuff before John's first apperance with Moore's Swamp Thing. That's where the best work is at, after "American Gothic" started, the series started to go downhill (except #50, which was great).

• Upvote 1

I am not with you on this way of dealing with people who disagree with you.

Save that vibe for the real enemies at DC.

I really should get around to tracking down the rest of Careys run as well as Paul Jenkins and Garth Ennis's trades. Though I already have a huge list books I want to read (Starman being one of them). So I don't know if they will ever happen.

The Troika and their minions

i was totally joking, come on! i'm not that crazy. i thought that's what emoticons meant, even addressing the fact they are included in your post.

Yeah, but you used the stereotypical "village mob from monster movies" emoticon. There's a lot of feelings and resentments behind that one.