slinker

How long has it been for you, then? When you jumped on until Feb. 2013

I haven't been reading all that long in the life of the comic - after reading Original Sins somewhere in the middle of Carey's run, I jumped onto the monthly at "Reasons To Be Cheerful" - but I have been reading for most of my adult life to this point. Hellblazer is the book that brought me into my comics shop for the first time.

According to the solicit, 300 is scheduled to come out on my birthday - worst present ever, DC!

• Upvote 2

slinker    893

Yeah, but you used the stereotypical "village mob from monster movies" emoticon. There's a lot of feelings and resentments behind that one.

just because some people died, I mean really!

Lou K    1,072

Hellblazer is the book that brought me into my comics shop for the first time.

This is so awesome, and puts some deep, deep cracks in my not-giving-a-shit facade.

• Upvote 1

I haven't been by the shop since I learned of the cancellation, but there's a 50/50 shot I'll cry when the owner tells me he's gone ahead and added "Constantine" to my pull, because "it's got your guy in it".

• Upvote 3

Demon Chas08    295

I haven't been reading all that long in the life of the comic - after reading Original Sins somewhere in the middle of Carey's run, I jumped onto the monthly at "Reasons To Be Cheerful" - but I have been reading for most of my adult life to this point. Hellblazer is the book that brought me into my comics shop for the first time.

According to the solicit, 300 is scheduled to come out on my birthday - worst present ever, DC!

I hear that (except my Bday's 12 odd days from the issue coming out).

You just hand that rag right back to him, you hear?

That, or use it as a kleenex - anything but read it!

I don't know when it's coming out. It's not on Feb. 22nd, is it?

The solicit says the 20th, but this early it may bump a week forward or back. I guess if nothing else, it'll give me an excuse for an extra gin and tonic.

Christian    761

So, my birthday will come two days afterwards. The tears will be dried, and I'll be ready to move on with my new non-Hellblazer 38th year of life.

We have a lot of b-days clustered in that time frame.

I think Red's b-day is pretty close to mine.

Lou, is your b-day close to mine, or am I just confused because our ages are the same?

Now, we have two more to add to the area.

Christian    761

Temporal b-days apparently, as they cluster around a certain time period. It's like something from a forgotten Dr. Who that was severely rejected by the fans and critics. Understandably.

Lou K    1,072

Lou, is your b-day close to mine, or am I just confused because our ages are the same?

Nope. I am in May

jaynova    1

I started on the last issue of Fear and Loathing. I was an off-and-on reader though Jenkins' run, and then read all the way up through the beginning of Milligan before I just couldn't afford comics anymore. (Now i'm back, and reading Lantern titles)

electricinca    89

Nope. I am in May

Pretty sure it's me you're thinking of Christian as mine is early March.

I was first introduced to Hellblazer late 1993 or early 1994 by a university friend who loaned me his copy of Original Sins and I loved it, he then gave me a few more Delano issues to read until I got to the point where I just needed to start buying it for myself.

• Upvote 1

Mick    12

Since Mike Careys run, keep buying single issues then rebuy as trades, have all the ones i can currently get hold of. Read alot of back issues via the books and digital downloads (comixology).

I was a reader of Swamp Thing from Alan Moore's first issue- having followed Moore's career in 2000AD and Captain Britain etc almost from day one. I remember picking up Hellblazer #1 in a shop in Brighton and thinking that, as a spin-off, it looked like a terrible mistake. John Ridgway?! Never liked him! Jamie Delano? WHO?! Precisely one issue later I was completely hooked and continued to buy it monthly until around the #130 mark. I was approaching thirty and trying to cut a number of things out of my life that I saw as having outstayed their welcome. So some regular comics and a long-term girlfriend got the chop. Hellblazer eventually turned out to be a mistake only in the sense that I missed it when it was gone (unlike the girlfriend!). The next fourteen years I bought the comic four or five times- but didn't enjoy it particularly. Oftentimes, when borrowing the trades from the library, I'd find it deeply depressing and a struggle to get through. Nothing good or amusing ever seemed to happen to John, it was just a catalogue of horrible shit. When I get around to actually buying those runs, I'll see if that's in any way true- or if it was just what I saw at the time, being maybe in a not-so great place myself.

Over the last year I've been buying more and more comics- for many many years 2000AD and the Megazine were the only titles I picked up in floppy format, everything else being bought only in trades. Now I buy more floppies than at any time since I left my twenties. I'm lucky enough to have a wife who doesn't mind one bit, by the way.

Along the way I picked up Justice League Dark and was surprised to see John faffing about with the rest of the DCU goons. A bit odd, I thought. But then, he started off in that universe- Swampy was no stranger to Dead Man, Batman and the rest, so the link is there, and I have no real objection to him playing with those toys if the stories are good and Hellblazer continues to be distinct and different and by itself.

Oh.

And then the news hit. Argh! Whatthefuckdotheythinkthey'redoing?! To make matters worse, they published that terrible, dreadful, JLD #0- the only comic I've bought in years that made me actually physically angry- and I bought Dan Didio's Phantom Stranger #0, which is officially the worst comic ever written. Ever. I started buying Hellblazer again- as an act of protest really, not expecting it to be any good (after all, with sales of only 9000, surely the audience is making a claim that it deserved to end) and unexpectedly found I really enjoyed it. I'm now filling gaps in the first 150 and working backwards from #289, with an idea to one day owning a complete run.

As far as Constantine, the new 52 DCU book goes... well, I'm torn. There are some DCU comics I wouldn't allow my kids to read (neither of mine get anywhere near Batman, Detective et al, as they are on the whole nastier than they have any need to be) so IF they do John in that style, then great- there won't be any real difference other than fewer swear words and maybe a few more costumed underwear models with their nipples just-about covered flying about while homoerotic muscley men in tight pants batter each other in the background. Sadly, JLD is- like Frankenstein: Agent of SHADE (great comic, pick it up- oh, you can't, they killed that too) and Swamp Thing, one of those DC "horror" titles that plays with the iconography but doesn't really work as a "horror" book. It's a shaded fantasy- not really even "dark". Of everything DC is putting out, the Batman comics are the nastiest, and Wonder Woman is the best proper-horror title they do. The books they nominally class as "horror", well they aren't. So we'll see. But when I think of all that "Nick Necro" bollocks, my liver goes cold.

As things stand I'm with Hellblazer til the end and enjoying reading the back issues. I will certainly pick up the first few of the DCU book- even the actual title doesn't bother me and I'm surprised hellblazer didn't officially become Constantine around the time of that terrible film. Wasn't it supposed to be called 'Hellraiser' anyway- until Barker's film buggered that idea? What is a "hellblazer" anyway? It never made any sense. But if it's crap I'll have no worries about kicking it into touch- just as I'm eyeing the new IDW Judge Dredd series very closely after that awful first issue.

SBT

• Upvote 1

Christian    761

I think for, the most part, Animal Man and (to a lesser extent) Swamp Thing worked very well as horror titles.

The "Age of the Rot" story-line is moving more into fantasy territory though.

But, earlier in the series, (especially) Animal Man had quite a few disturbing scenes, and I wouldn't have found the content out of place at Vertigo.

You have to remember that there have been long stretches of Hellblazer's run when it hasn't functioned as a proper horror title either. I'm not knocking Mike Carey's run by saying this, but his run was often devoid of actual horror content. Milligan's run hasn't really strayed too far into horror territory for most of his stories.

If Justice League:Dark had been protrayed as "dark" (to coin a term, ha ha ha) and serious as Animal Man and Swamp Thing had been, I wouldn't have had a problem with it. Justice League:Dark always came off as a bit more cartoony. I think maybe it was DC trying to interest Justice League readers in the book. Looking at sales figures, DC caught their attention for the first two issues, and then they all dropped the book (probably when they didn't see Superman as a character).

Frankenstein has been a good read, but it was more about the crazy ideas than about horror.

Most of the other books published in the DC:Dark line aren't much in the way of horror, to be sure. Demon Knights was a fantasy book, for example. Resurrection Man was more superhero-y, but with an "edge" (or something).

I am a bit surprised by the amount of horror they put in Batman. It's all a bit over-the-top, really, but there are some nasty things in that book, for one of the DC"s flagship titles.

Considering how kiddy-oriented most of the "New 52"'s ideas have been, it's unusual that they'd have such a dark Batman comic.