Christian

Do You Have a Favourite?

I'm sure there will be lots of topics like this popping up as we approach "zero point", but I wanted to get an early start.

Do you have a favourite issue of Hellblazer?

It doesn't matter if it's part of a wider story-arc or a single issue story, and can include any annuals or specials.

For me, it will always be "Dead Boy's Heart" (#35). It's been my favourite issue of HB since I first read it, and it remains in that position to this day.

Hellblazer #131, Son of Man part 3 of 5, because John shags a lesbian.

Nah, just kidding it varies from the aforementioned Dead Boy's Heart and (especially when I was younger) Gaiman's sappy #27.

Another vote for 'Dead Boy's Heart' here, although I've also got a terrible fondness for Carey's 'Game of Cat & Mouse' (#181, unless I misremember) and, prompted by the "How long has it been?" thread, Ennis' 'End Of The Line', issue #61*.

*EDIT: #62, apparently. Oops.

I take it we're only talking about single issues, aye?

I'm finding it difficult to narrow it down from 4:

the now statistically significant #62 End of the Line

#63 Forty

Game of Cat and Mouse

The one with the Chelsea Smilers

If I'm pushed I'm going for A Game of Cat and Mouse (because it has some beautiful work by Jock)

"40." It was just a silly birthday party issue that introduced characters while satirizing them at the same time. Mange stands out as well as Kit saying "Mah poor wee flat!"

• Upvote 1

Swamp Thing 48: A Murder of Crows. We see John on his high horse, and throughout the issue, the shit keeps getting deeper and deeper until he's drowning in it.

Bissette's art has never been better. The story was pretty much the prototype for everything that came later.

• Upvote 2

Another vote for The Game Of Cat And Mouse: I honestly think that one's even better than Dead Boy's Heart.

I've been chewing on this one while I ponder a re-read, and I think mine's gotta be the finish of the Family Man arc: #31 "Mourning of the Magician". It's got Delano and Phillips doing their respective things, John interacting with Gemma and Cheryl, flashbacks, grimy magic, grief and regret and pity, imperfect families, rash decisions with long consequences, and pretty much every other thing I love about this book.

"Dead Boy's Heart", "Waiting for the Man", and "In Another Part of Hell" are all pretty high on the list and might take the top spot if I were typing this at some other moment.

"Mourning of the Magician" was one of my favourites too, just not quite at the point of "Dead Boy's Heart" for me.

Good choice.

• Upvote 2

'Sundays are Different'. Another from Delano's home stretch, but even more of a standout for me than 'Dead Boy's Heart'.

• Upvote 2

I've been chewing on this one while I ponder a re-read, and I think mine's gotta be the finish of the Family Man arc: #31 "Mourning of the Magician". It's got Delano and Phillips doing their respective things, John interacting with Gemma and Cheryl, flashbacks, grimy magic, grief and regret and pity, imperfect families, rash decisions with long consequences, and pretty much every other thing I love about this book.

"Dead Boy's Heart", "Waiting for the Man", and "In Another Part of Hell" are all pretty high on the list and might take the top spot if I were typing this at some other moment.

Is In Another Part Of Hell the one with the talking monkey in a dress?

That's a cracker as well, if so...

• Upvote 1

That's the one! Flashbacks, I love them a lot!

Really, on paper, I'm someone they should be able to entice with a series about a younger, more vulnerable John, a too-wily-for-his-own-good (or anyone else's) kid with more nerve than caution. I wish I thought Constantine would be that book. But I just don't believe the John that's appearing in the bits of JLD I've read ever spent his childhood fixated on the dead boy's "heart" or cursed his father or murdered a familiar.

Gah, do we know if Newcastle/Ravenscar even are part of that John's story? Maybe he'll go there for a Fall-Out Boy show after he defeats Nicky Necro with a well-aimed fuschia fireball? /0\

No. That's gone from John's history.

We don't know about his childhood, but we know that he came to America as a youngster in order to meet Nick Necro and to learn magic from him, which is when he met and fell in love with Zatanna. The three of them formed a coven, and got matching tattoos, but Necro was too "extreme" for John and Zatanna, which led to them having a falling out.

I read Justice League Dark #0, and the story is forever burned into my memory, like a brand on a cattle. Sometimes I wake up at night, screaming, "My brain, it is on fire!", as my nightmares are made of the horrors of which that story was created, in the deepest nether-bowels of Hell, itself. I wish I could scratch the story from my very brain, but alas, I am forever cursed to remember what I have now seen.

I read Justice League Dark #0, and the story is forever burned into my memory, like a brand on a cattle. Sometimes I wake up at night, screaming, "My brain, it is on fire!", as my nightmares are made of the horrors of which that story was created, in the deepest nether-bowels of Hell, itself. I wish I could scratch the story from my very brain, but alas, I am forever cursed to remember what I have now seen.

Don't worry. One good flush and it all swirls away.

You know too much.

Are you some sort of Nick Necro obsessive?

That chill that just went up your spine? Someone, somewhere - possibly a DC intern - just started a facebook page for " Necro-philes".