Demon Chas08

Top 10 Story Arcs

1) Dangerous Habits (#41-46)

2) Haunted (#134-139)

3) The Wild Card (#184-186)

4) Critical Mass (#92-96)

5) The Damnation Army/Newcastle saga AKA John vs. Nergal round 1 (#4-12)

6) Down in the Ground Where the Dead Men Go (#207-212)

7) Rake at the Gates of Hell (#78-83)

8)The Family Man (#24, 28-30)

9) Joyride (#234-237)

10) Last Man Standing (#110-114)

How do you even remember ten story-arcs? heh

Critical Mass would make my list.

Most of my favourite and most memorable stories are from Delano's run, and he didn't do many longer arcs. The Fear Machine wasn't one of my favourites either.

That's a bit rough on Carey as well, given that the whole of his run was pretty much one long story split up into shorter chunks. Even the one issue stories tie back into that eventually.

Dangerous Habits and Critical Mass for me. Azz's arc about John in the joint was pretty good too. Oh and Family Man.

Dunno that I have 10 off the top, but "Family Man" and "Down in the Ground Where the Dead Men Go" would certainly top my list. "In at the Deep End" would feature, as would "Son of Man" and, much as it pains me to love on a Milligan story at this point, "Scab".

Been thinking on this some and was a little surprised to find Eddie Campbell's "Warped Notions" so high up on my own list, shouldn't be really though as it has everything you'd want from a proper Hellblazer story - right down to Sean Phillips on pencils!

It's bloody and nasty, dripping with the worst of humanity but balanced with just enough heart and humour and - of course - an ending that doesn't meet your definition of happy by any real measure.

Also happens to feature one of my favourite ever pages too, which doesn't hurt...

hb_horrible.jpg

• Upvote 2

... everything you'd want from a proper Hellblazer story - right down to Sean Phillips on pencils!

For my last birthday, I bought myself a piece of Sean Phillips' art, a page from Hellblazer 100; I love it beyond all reason.

• Upvote 1