Sign in to follow this  
slinker

Super Hero Squad Show

This ranks as one of the dumbest and worst things I've ever seen. Ray Stevenson even does the voice for Punisher, and it's STILL NOT COOL. Oh my god, didn't anyone at Marvel QA this horrible piece of shit before airing it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GuLAkKAJ5Q

I understand it's supposed to be funny, but it's SO not funny at all. It's a constant cringe, and if this were the only thing I knew about comic books, I would beat up comic book nerds, too, for allowing this to exist. It-Is-HORRIBLE.

It's for young viewers. It's like "my first experience of Marvel".

We shall make fun of you for even watching it. The average age level is probably aimed at 12 year olds, hence it's dumb.

That reminds me, that series is based on those Bullpen Funny Bits that Marvel ran on their monthly release page of their comics during the late-1990s. That would explain why their humour is stupid. Those were some really bad comic strips.

Marvel has an Avengers animated series going that's pretty damn good. I got the DVDs and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. It grows on you. I don't think the animaton is the greatest, and the voices can be grating sometimes, but the stories are well written and comparable to very good Avengers stories in the comics.

It's not quite the level of Justice League, but it's at the level of the 1990s X-Men or Spider Man cartoons, which were quality.

The animation does improve as the series progresses also.

Watch that instead.

Personally, I was quite pleased there's a cartoon show I can sit my kids down in front of that didn't involve villains trying to kill heroes all the time.

I'm happy they can watch it and I don't have to spend time explaining why Titanium Man is trying to kill Iron Man, for example.

Aye, it's dumb (never quite figured out how they make killers like Punisher and Wolverine kiddie-friendly), but my two were watching it and buying the comics when they were 4 or 5, so it suits that age group. It's a bit unfair to trash it quite as much as you have done, it's not really aimed at you. Maybe you should be a bit more selective in your viewing habits; try not to watch pre-school TV.

That said, they now think they're too old to watch it, so it's all Power Rangers Super Samurai and stuff like that now.

But that's the thing, isn't it? They are making those characters something they aren't, and I'm sorry, but making Punisher kid-friendly is a perversion. It's inuring a child to a character who will one day freak the child the fuck out when he riddles someone with bullets. Or pulls someone's backbone out of their body. It's like making Genghis Kahn all warm and cuddly, and nothing like he is.

It's the same thing DC is doing to John Constantine, since no one got the point I was alluding to, or rather trying to compare. It's people who know nothing about the motivations of the characters they own and rewriting them so that they can be used to exploit even the youngest children for those advertizing bucks. It's whoring out those characters and making the kids who watch them, the "johns." I'm sure I'm just overly cynical and there's nothing wrong with the corporatization of everything. But I wouldn't dress Charles Manson up as a clown and invite him to a kid's birthday, either.

But that's the thing, isn't it? They are making those characters something they aren't, and I'm sorry, but making Punisher kid-friendly is a perversion. It's inuring a child to a character who will one day freak the child the fuck out when he riddles someone with bullets. Or pulls someone's backbone out of their body.

I disagree. Kids adapt and learn pretty well. If they make the jump to "proper" comics they won't have got there straight from Super Hero Squad, but they'll have had the likes of Power Rangers, The Brave and the Bold, then maybe Pirates of the Carribean and Indiana Jones or something else.

My point is that their viewing and/or reading habits mature gradually* over a few years, and by the time they want to read about the Punisher pulling someone's backbone out of their body they won't be freaked out.

Watching Super Hero Squad will just give them a familiarity with the basic premise of superheroes, and maybe a predisposition to picking up Marvel titles when they're older. Sure, cynically it's about decveloping brand loyalty in young kids but I don't have a problem with that in this instance. I'll be on hand to tell them that the JLA could punch the fuck out of the Avengers.

It's like making Genghis Kahn all warm and cuddly, and nothing like he is.

Aye, they did this already. In Night At The Museum. The twins enjoyed it; I enjoyed explaining proper history to them where I could. When you just explain things like this to kids they're quite good at taking it in.

Besides, how many comedic versions of the Nazis have you seen? Not too much difference there.

It's the same thing DC is doing to John Constantine, since no one got the point I was alluding to, or rather trying to compare. It's people who know nothing about the motivations of the characters they own and rewriting them so that they can be used to exploit even the youngest children for those advertizing bucks. It's whoring out those characters and making the kids who watch them, the "johns." I'm sure I'm just overly cynical and there's nothing wrong with the corporatization of everything.

I probably agree with you about Constantine. I think the difference here is that when the 12 year olds who are reading Constantine get to 16 or 17 there won't be an adult Hellblazer for them to graduate to. And that is a Bad Thing.

But I wouldn't dress Charles Manson up as a clown and invite him to a kid's birthday, either.

Maybe in 800 years time they'll do just that in Night At The Museum 350. Probably too soon at the moment.

I think the main difference is the fact that Gengis Khan and Chucky Manson are historical figures, so although there's a taboo/stigma (especially if they're still alive and kickin' as in the case of Manson) that you might be making light of real human plight, they are - especially in the form of satire - fair game to be reinterpreted any way you choose, and that work can and will be judged mostly by its own merits. Similar story goes for the public domain characters like Sherlock Holmes, for example - you can have him be a vampire, a black dude, a muppet baby, an alien robot living in Brazil, and still get away with it. I understand that seeing Punisher in a kiddie toon might be questionable, since his sole shtick is usually killing folks, though his name can be interpreted otherwise for the purpose of the cartoon. Like, maybe have him be a serial spanker of naughty kids? (Yeah, that's much better. Nice work, me.)

My point (other than the stuff Atticus so nicely put in his post) is that I don't see anything inherently wrong with making alternate versions of famous characters (especially Jesus), and if the take is such that it keeps some of the core elements of the characters, and changes others with a purpose (even though the said purpose is just having a lark), it's fine by me. The corporations do it for cash, authors do it out of love, or to piggyback onto a fanbase/phenomena, or just because they feel like it and sometimes they even have a point to make, a story to tell. Frankly, I'd have more of a problem if the kiddie Punisher was, in a cartoon for kids that probably aren't even starting elementary school, going around killing people. If the tiny kids fall in love with the character so much that they want to read comics with him, I'm sure there are plenty existing barriers in place that will prevent it from happening. And if all else fails, we can always fiddle with the old Louis C.K. quote to adapt it for this particular situation : Two guys are in LOVE and they can't get married because you don't want to talk to your ugly child for five fuckin' minutes?”. Just replace two guys in love with creators, can't get married with "can't make a kiddie Punisher" and your ugly child with "your/other people's (hypothetical?) children".

Punisher probably isn't necessary in a cartoon like this. Punisher's modus operandi is big guns shooting people. The Marvel Universe has thousands of characters, Punisher really isn't needed in any way for a cartoon like this. Wolverine is one of Marvel's top names, so leaving his out would be problematic, but a kid would probably need to really be in to comics to search down a Punisher comic today, if they're just starting to read Marvel comics.

At the same time, it's not like using Punisher in a cute, funny way in a cartoon doesn't work. If you're an adult who knows the character, you might find the usage to be comical, because it's so out-of-character.

This isn't the mainstream Punisher comic. If they made Punisher into a My Little Pony rip-off in his comic, your argument would make more sense than in a kiddie cartoon that bears no resemblance to Marvel's continuity.

Remember, there was a Doom Patrol comic where John Constantine was a superhero. It was played for laughs. Did we get all upset and say they're ruining John because John doesn't act that way? No! We realized it was an alternate reality version of John, and we enjoyed it for what it was.

The gag wouldn't have worked unless it was a character like John Constantine.

They probably won't make Manson into a clown....but now maybe that John Wayne Gacy guy! Ha!

God, Night at the Museum was an awful movie.

Yes, I think if we boil down what bothers me, it's the fact that Punisher, and to a lesser extent, Wolverine are portrayed in this show like--well, totally unlike their characters are in everything else. It reminds me of those little block people those of us who grew up in the 60s and 70s played with as children. They have no arms or legs, they were peg people by Fisher Price.

$T2eC16NHJG!E9nm3o)enBQYkB-lYW!~~60_35.JPG

Remember them? That's what this super hero for baby show reminds me of.

Only seen a little bit of this show. I always thought it was a fun show. Not as good as Earth's Mightiest Heroes, of course, but a nice little fun show you can enjoy with a youngin'.

• Upvote 1