Sign in to follow this  
Shawn

Hellboy/B.P.R.D. thread

Shawn    297

Quite right! I love how Mignola has started to dig deep into the lore & mythology of Hell. HB seeing his throne was a highlight. I wonder....will HB meet his pa?

However, a minor issue....Mignola's art is not as strong as it used to be. Also, too many wide shots with tiny figures. I love it! I really do, but I start to ponder how this would all look if done by Fegredo.

I should say that is less a condemnation of Mignola's work and more high praise for the work of Fegredo, which I was spoiled on for so long.

Christian    734

BPRD:The Abyss of Time #1-I like this story, it's very primal. It's a flashback story, but it fleshes out the mythology of the Hellboy universe.

It's very much in the vein of Robert Howard.

The one thing I worry about is the BPRD agents keep stumbling upon these ancient artifacts from before history now. The back-story tells that these were occult weapons used by shamans to drive the monsters from our world, at the dawn of history.

This better not be setting up the story where they gather all the artifacts and then use them to defeat the monsters....

Mignola promised this was the end of our world. It better not have such an easy, cop-out ending after all this. I'm expecting something epic, not a superhero story ending.

Shawn    297

Hellboy in Hell #3 lacked in art, again. I'm sorry Mignola. I still love ya. But wow, what a story! HB meets (most of) his family! As his brothers squabble over how will reign in Pandomonium, we learn just enough of the family drama. Quality stuff. Also, I look forward to Mignola following on [ Spoiler : Hellboy's wayward sister. ]

Christian    734

Wait....Satana, Shawn?

Hellboy in Hell #4-Whew! I was thinking that another character had been ruined by revealing an origin story...

I was very excited to think that Edward Grey's origin was finally being told.

Then, I was very relieved to find out that he had told lies to Hellboy, so there's still a mystery as to what is truth and what is falsehood.

I was thinking that parts of continuity were being ignored, like how Grey ended up with the fairies.

I do think Grey's origin must be told at some point, I'm just glad this wasn't it, as it was weak. There must be much darker things in his past, considering.

Unfortunately, this isn't a monthly series after all. It was monthly for the first four parts, and now it's going to be shipping as a series of one-shots. The editors said not to expect the next installment for a number of months.

I'm feeling down on Mignola's work again. Hellboy is now moving very slowly. BPRD hasn't improved and feels like it's running in circles. The BPRD flashback mini-series are ok, but the last one was pretty inconsequential, even though it started out looking strong. And, an Abe Sapien ongoing doesn't sound promising, as I don't see what directions they can go with that character now, but I'll have to wait and see, I guess. I can't help but continue to feel that these books best days are behind them, and that "New World" effectively boxed the creators in to a corner.

I'm not saying the titles went in the wrong direction. There was no where else for the plots to move, but it's really unknown territory for an ongoing title, and it hasn't panned out very well so far.

Lou K    1,054

Did not know we were in for a series of one shots now, that is a bummer.

Remind me, where does HB know Grey from?

Shawn    297

I see what you did there, Christian. At first I thought it said "Santana".....I was like...'the legendary guitarist?!?'

I know very little about Grey, other than what small snippets I've read in Hellboy stories. Are his mini-series any good? I think they would be.

So, no monthly. Damn. I know Mignola said this whole in Hell thing was the new norm for Big Red. Looks like these first few issues were an intro or sorts. I suppose that's ok, I can wait for quality. Besides, I hope they will have some minis or one-shot of past Hellboy adventures to tide us over now and again.

Christian    734

Lou-Hellboy and Grey met for the first time in this mini-series.

Grey was famous in occult circles from the late-19th century, so Hellboy had heard of the name, but Grey was thought to have disappeared in the early-20th century, when he apparently got involved with the Brotherhood of Ra.

Grey has made appearances off and on throughout the Hellboy mythos, observing events with the fairy-folk. It was never explained how he ended up among the fairies, and there were hints that he was now immortal.

He always seemed like a very sad and tragic figure based on those appearances.

As Shawn said, there are two Edward Grey-Witchfinder mini-series that take place during the late-19th century.

Shawn-Yeah, they're both worth getting. Especially the first one though. The first one reads like something Alan Moore would write. A nice Victorian supernatural yarn.

The second one isn't bad either, a "weird Western" story, with Grey traveling to America.

Christian    734

Abe Sapien-Hey, guess what? It's another series where characters stand around and talk about how bad the world is, while nothing happens! You know, like the other Mignolaverse stories where this exact same thing happens month after month! The world really needed another book to remind us.

Then, in the letter's page, the editors once again remind us that "This is the start of something big". Really? You mean like the editors have been assuring us of this exact fact since the whole Hell on Earth story-line first started a couple years ago now? Yet, still, after all these issues, not one new thing has occurred.

This is the slowest and most boring end of the world I've ever read.

I'm very burned out on the Mignola books at this time. It probably is a better idea to read the books in Trades, but this is plain ridiculous.

Maritimus    16

They are milking the concept as much as they can, while not bringing anything new or exciting to the table. Ever since the Hell oN Earth thing, it's been one big blur, and reading in trades doesnt help - i read Return Of The Master in one go - and all i got from it is soldiers going up a mountain and shooting monsters, hack'n'slash Diablo style, before getting on top of the mountain to fight even more monsters.. and then in the end a BIG monster comes out.. or something like that..

It all feels a bit stale, forcing myself to read BPRD, which i used to enjoy a lot.

Christian    734

I'm enjoying the newest Mignola-verse series, Sledgehammer '44.

It takes place during World War II, and is Mignola's foray into the "weird war tale", and also sort of his own pulp version of Iron Man.

It's the early adventures of the latter-day Iron Prometheus.

It has the feel of some of those 1960s/1970s DC horror books.

A big month for Mike Mignola. Hellboy in Hell ships again....a standalone issue...which makes you wonder why it took so long to see light...and then Hellboy will be gone again until next Summer.

Also, a Hellboy short story in Dark Horse Presents though.

Six Mignola books, in total, will ship during December actually.

Avaunt    274

Yeah, I got that Edward Grey first story collection. Pretty awesome, but ( this isn't really a complaint now ) extremely Mignola. It kind of ticked boxes for one of his works. Great story with pathos and feelings, super art, great Victoriana London scenes, really detailed art work . . . just very Mignola.

Christian    734

It reminded me more of something Alan Moore would write, actually.

I am intensely interested in Edward Grey. He's my favourite character in the entire Hellboy-pantheon. I really enjoyed that first TPB.

Avaunt    274

I got it down off the shelf and re-read it. Lovely facial art. Quite excellent scenery. He does fabric like nobodies business. Trifle too angsty, I feel. Don't pout, smite evil.

Christian    734

Hellboy in Hell #5 is excellent. It has everything that made Hellboy one of the best comics ever. It's a perfect stand-alone story. The story reads like folklore. It also has the dream-like writing quality that made the Hellboy series work so well.

I actually enjoyed this issue more than the graphic novel, and this is easily my favourite issue of Hellboy in Hell, so far.

One of my picks for comic book of 2013.

It's just a shame that we have at least six more months before we see any more Hellboy.

(Well, not counting the short story in Dark Horse Presents next week.)

Also, I've been enjoying Abe Sapien lately. It started out seeming like another stringing out of this New World plot from BPRD, and as a needless book, but the past couple of issues have been delving into Mayan mythology, and it's been capturing some of the old BPRD magic that's been missing since the New World stuff (i.e. more than fighting big monsters, rehashing old plots, and wringing of hands over "the world ending" with little real follow-up).

Lou K    1,054

Hellboy in Hell #5 is excellent. It has everything that made Hellboy one of the best comics ever. It's a perfect stand-alone story. The story reads like folklore. It also has the dream-like writing quality that made the Hellboy series work so well.

I actually enjoyed this issue more than the graphic novel, and this is easily my favourite issue of Hellboy in Hell, so far.

One of my picks for comic book of 2013.

It's just a shame that we have at least six more months before we see any more Hellboy.

(Well, not counting the short story in Dark Horse Presents next week.)

This times a thousand million.

• Upvote 1

Shawn    297

I loved Hellboy in Hell #5 from from front to back.

We have to wait another six months for more? Damn.

Christian    734

I was disappointed by the Hellboy story in Dark Horse Presents.

Not compared to Hellboy in Hell, which, let's face it, anything is bound to be a disappointment after that glorious story.

It was just that it was so short. You have to buy more issues of DHP to read the remainder of the story. I was hoping the whole story would be wrapped up in this book.

I might not even complain if this story drew me in, but I found the story (what little there was to see) pretty average.

On the other hand, DHP has improved since the last issue I picked up. There were a couple of readable stories in this one, at least. It's still over-price with too much material I'm not interested in reading, but this was a better installment than what I was reading before.

Lou K    1,054

Yeah 7 bones for a fraction of a story...no thanks. I did buy it but I won;t be buying anymore. Only other story I really wanted to read was Nexus.

Shawn    297

What better way to resurrect this thread than with awesome news? How about a series showcasing past adventures of Hellboy during his days with the B.P.R.D. Written by Mike Mignola & John Arcudi with art by Alex Maleev

http://multiversitycomics.com/news/hellboy-the-b-p-r-d-series-launching-at-dark-horse-in-december/

I am already there! I just have to wait until December.

• Upvote 1

Christian    734

Mike Mignola is going to add a Frankenstein Underground comic series to the list of Hellboy-verse titles for early-2015.

Mignola doing an ongoing Frankenstein's Monster book? Can this end up as awesome as I'm envisioning it?

With this added to the monthly Hellboy & BPRD flashbook comic, the Hellboy universe is starting to look very interesting again, regardless of the dull and repetitive new BPRD stuff.

Shawn    297

Mike Mignola is going to add a Frankenstein Underground comic series to the list of Hellboy-verse titles for early-2015.

Mignola doing an ongoing Frankenstein's Monster book? Can this end up as awesome as I'm envisioning it?

With this added to the monthly Hellboy & BPRD flashbook comic, the Hellboy universe is starting to look very interesting again, regardless of the dull and repetitive new BPRD stuff.

OH! I like this a great deal! I can nearly 100% guarantee I'll be buying this.

It also makes think of Roger. And I miss him. RIP, homunculus bro