Sign in to follow this  
Shawn

Hellboy/B.P.R.D. thread

Lou K    1,054

Ha! Yeah roger was the first guy I thought of

I'll check out any mignola Frankenstein

Christian    734

Hellboy & the BPRD #1-Sadly, the golden age of Hellboy comics is long over. It was nice to see Alex Maleev on art here, but did they have to decide to write like Brian Bendis as well?

We already have the most decompressed end of the world scenrio every month in Mignola's books. We didn't need a new Hellboy comic where nothing happens.

The series will be broken in to a set of 5-part stories, each covering the early years of Hellboy's time with the BPRD. I'm sure more than one case happened in each year. I'd rather see a series of one or two part quick stories, taking up each year.

It's a shame that we get so much Mignola-verse titles every month now, but only the main Hellboy comic is worth the time.

Christian    734

Frankenstein Underground #1-This is better than what's been going on in current BPRD and Abe Sapien, and is probably better than Hellboy & the BPRD as well (which has been pretty dull), but it still isn't anywhere close to the Hellboy books in their glory days. It feels more like a retread, rather than a book that has a purpose in existing. Mignola working on Frankenstein should be far more creative than this.

Christian    734

There was actually a damn fine issue of Abe Sapien this month! Good non-Hellboy Mignola books are becoming a rarity.

It's a flashback story with Hellboy and Abe. Just a good, back to basics monster story with heart, like Mignola's books used to be. No, "waiting for Godot" (or end of the world, I guess). No heavy continuity.

The two characters explore the myth of Ogopogo.

Dave    265

I thought the letterer did a fine job on the art, too. Very enjoyable issue.

Christian    734

Frankenstein improves greatly with issue #3. I wanted to see something more like this when I heard Mignola was working on Frankenstein.

A man with psychic abilities foresees the coming of World War I. Horrified by the carnage and inhumaity wrought by man, he and a group of occultists venture to the center of the Earth. Convinced by the pseudo-scientific claims of early hollow Earth proponent Symmes, they expect to find a paradise. They find something far worse.

This is the type of romanticism I always loved about Hellboy. Somehow, giant monsters destroy everything for years on end just isn't the same.

Christian    734

Wow! There are actually events happening in the BPRD related titles now. It's amazing.

Hell on Earth will finally be coming to an end soon, and the next chapter of the Hellboy/BPRD saga will begin. I hope the final segment is far more interesting than the Hell on Earth segment, which has been so drawn out and repetitive. This Hell on Earth saga better end with humanity being extinct by the end. That only those who are more than human will survive in to the new world, as the last remnants of what was the human race. It seems like that's where it's going. A lot of fans have speculated that it's pretty obvious what all this will be setting up, that Abe Sapien is going to take his place as leader of the "New Race of Man", while Hellboy will finally accept his destiny as King of Hell, and that the two opposing sides will fight each other to decide the future of Earth. I will be very upset if there's some sort of miracle that happens which leads to events in the Hell on Earth titles being reversed. We were promised by Mignola that this "end of the world" would truly harken in something totally different. How much more disappointing would it be, after all these years of waiting for something to actually happen with "Hell on Earth", if at the end, it leads nowhere?

Dave    265

Personally, i want the human race to pull thru. I see it ending with small pockets of tribes rather than a rebuilt giant civilization though. You are right about the repetitiveness of it though. my favorite storyline so far is the guy who is possessed by the spirit of that old indian or caveman or whatever.

Christian    734

Abe Sapien was haunting this month (#30). Abe Sapien has been getting a lot better recently, as the book has been dealing with the actual background for the end of the world, rather than just focusing on big fights, like BPRD. This month's issue was a flashback story telling the origin of the recurring black magician, Strobl. It was actually a history of the occult through the 19th century, told through the fictional account of Strobl. The artwork is stunning, with most of the pages being done in a way that they could be used as paintings. There were references to the Goetia.

I think someone had their copy of Richard Cavendish out to research this issue.

I'm wondering who the one noted historical occultist was meant to be. The name is written in cursive and looks like "Bramfield", but I'm not familiar with any Bramfield from the world of the occult. I was wondering if it was Owen Barfield? Not sure.

Christian    734

I was, sadly, not very impressed with the Hellboy Winter Special, after waiting all month to see it. I felt it was more a showcase for the artwork, rather than anything else.

The first story set in pre-history didn't really make much sense.

The second story, a Hellboy story set in 1953, was the best story, but I felt it was very "by the numbers". Nothing we haven't seen many times before in Hellboy. Hellboy, himself, seemed out of character and unnecessary in the plot, as well.

The other two stories were just filler. Mignola wasn't even involved with them. The Lobster Johnson story at the end was just a two-page gag strip.

Christian    734

Hellboy in Hell #10-Oh no! I didn't fully understand the ending of this comic. Is it a cycle of eternal return? Does Hellboy's life start all over to do again exactly the same? Are we in Nietzsche territory? Or, was all on those last pages purely symbolic?

So, I guess my thoughts on where Mignola is taking everything were wrong. Hell isn't going to be Earth's savior.

Lou K    1,054

Oh yea. Start with the first book. Also the 3rd trade "troll witch" is great as it's just a Collection of short stories. Good stuff. I liked Makoma as well

• Upvote 1

Lou K    1,054

Not too far. I enjoy them both. It's a good adaptation but not verbatim like sin city of 300

Lou K    1,054

I will also tell you that Hellboy is pretty much the perfect comic book in that the marriage between story and art is just...well, perfect. The style of story being told and the style of Mignola's art are just so well suited for one another.

Christian    734

Yeah, it's definitely one of the greatest comic books since the 1990s, and ranks highly on my all-time lists also. Lou pretty much said it all, but I'll just chime in too, because I love the comic.

I would start at the first Trade and read straight through, since you get the whole story that way, and it's important to get the whole story. The only exception would be the Troll Witch short story collection (vol. 3), as Lou already said. That was the first Hellboy book I bought, and it got me hooked. Otherwise, you need to read the Trades in order.

The movie is decent, and is pretty loyal to the comic book, but you can't compare the movie to the comic, as the comic so far superior. I'm sure if you really liked the movie that you will absolutely love the comic book though.

• Upvote 1