Sign in to follow this  
Shawn

Hellboy/B.P.R.D. thread

seventhcircle    584

I will extend your deadline. But the report remains mandatory.

how gracious :hattip:

Yeah, it's definitely one of the greatest comic books since the 1990s, and ranks highly on my all-time lists also. Lou pretty much said it all, but I'll just chime in too, because I love the comic.

I would start at the first Trade and read straight through, since you get the whole story that way, and it's important to get the whole story. The only exception would be the Troll Witch short story collection (vol. 3), as Lou already said. That was the first Hellboy book I bought, and it got me hooked. Otherwise, you need to read the Trades in order.

The movie is decent, and is pretty loyal to the comic book, but you can't compare the movie to the comic, as the comic so far superior. I'm sure if you really liked the movie that you will absolutely love the comic book though.

yeah sure, if i wasn't interested i wouldn't have asked :)

EDIT* also now i have expectations :D

Dave    271

Seeds reads a little different from the rest as it was partially scripted by John Byrne (Mignola felt he needed help as he had never written a comic before, i believe) but it is still excellent. If you want pure Mignola you might want to start with vol 3 (chained coffin) and then start from the beginning to get the main narrative in order.

Christian    752

BPRD #147-Oh, are you fucking kidding me? This is it? After all that waiting and killing time, this was the finale of "Hell on Earth"? Mignola said he wasn't backing down, when he said that the world was going to end, he meant it. Well, no he didn't! He went against what he said, as everything is basically set back to the way it was before.

My guess as to how the BPRD book was going to end was completely wrong, instead, it was the exact opposite.

I'm pretty upset at this point, to be honest. I'll continue to read the flashback stories that Mignola puts out, as those as still decent. This book, moving forward, however, leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

I was expecting an ongoing comic book to actually follow through with a non-happy ending, for once. Nope.

Probably the worst part, though, is that I was strong along for literally YEARS to follow this story to the promised conclusion. If it had lasted a year, I wouldn't feel so betrayed and cheated. Yet, this went on and on and on, with one boring story after another. I put up with it all on the promise that this was actually going somewhere, and that the ending wouldn't go back on the stated premise of the world ending.

No more.

Christian    752

Suddenly, I feel a bit more excited by the Mignola-verse. Starting in February, there's going to be a new mini-series titled The Visitor: How and Why He Stayed.

Finally, after all these years, the mystery of the aliens from the very first Hellboy TPB is going to be revealed. I expected that Mignola had forgotten about them, as they were barely ever mentioned again after (what?) the second TPB.

I may have hated the direction BPRD ended up moving in, but I'm always excited to see a comic that reminds me of the early Hellboy comics.

http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/2425/announcing-visitor-how-and-why-he-stayed-one-stran

Christian    752

I didn't hate it. There wasn't a lot to it, but the ghost monkey was pretty neat. I am thinking that weird monkeys have been used a bit too much in Hellboy history though. I guess that's one of the tropes of the book.

Hellboy and the BPRD hasn't been setting my excitement levels tingling (they're like Spidey sense, but for exciting comic books) from the start, to be honest. At least it's been a better book than BPRD or Abe Sapien ended up being after "Hell on Earth" began.

Christian    752

The Hellboy Winter Special 2017 was almost as disappointing as the one from last year. I'm not sure why this book goes so wrong every time, considering that short stories used to be some of the best Hellboy tales.

I did enjoy the first story, which was an Edward Grey, Witchfinder story.

The second story made little sense, and I wasn't a fan of the artwork. It wasn't a good story anyway.

The third story, a BPRD flashback tale, was left unresolved. I'm not sure if it was meant to play in a larger story or what, but I didn't think so. It was an inconsequential story anyway.

Relatively similar to last year, although I liked one of the stories in this one, whereas I remember not finding any really redeeming plots from the last one. I seem to remember a nonsensical and an incomplete story included with the last one too, so Mignola must be going with that as the routine.

Lou K    1,064

The Visitor 2 was a slight bit better than 1. "Yes, dear". I was cracking up.

And the latest Hellboy and the BPRD was a better offering than the last for sure. 2 parter, had a little bit more going on there.

Christian    752

Yes, I wanted to wait for the second part of the newest Hellboy and the BPRD to really comment, but I did enjoy this first chapter. I learned something about Chinese afterlife customs, as I did not realize that they felt that the dead needed cash in the afterlife. Talk about Hell! You want to die to get away from shite like that, not have to worry about how to get cash after you're dead too.

I'm still not sold on the Visitor yet. Yes, the second issue was an improvement over the first, since it felt like things were actually moving in the plot. However, I want to find out about this mysterious alien race who have been around since the early days of Hellboy. That was supposed to be the point of this mini-series, and so far, there has been zero amount of that. I'm hoping this will change by next issue, as the Visitor hinted that his race had a dark past. Although, at this point, I find myself often questioning Mignola's abilities. If this were a few years back, I'd be assured that Mignola was going to come through on anything he was involved with, but since "Hell on Earth", I'm usually disappointed by Mignola's books.

Lou K    1,064

I agree. Doesn't he have a co-writer on a lot of stuff now? Seems like he's phoning it in.

As far as cash for the dead, isn't that why we used to put coins on the eyes? For paying charon?

Christian    752

Yeah, you had to pay the ferryman....but, that was just to take the trip over the two rivers of the dead. A few bits to get in to the afterlife doesn't sound like too big of a pain. After that, you didn't need to worry about no stinkin' cash anymore.

He's had co-writers for a number of years now, with only certain books getting his full attention (Hellboy proper).

It all just got worse in recent years.

He had John Arcudi as his main co-writer for a while, but recently has switched to using Chris Robertson as his new co-writer. It doesn't seem to have improved on the problems.

Dave    271

Ive always had the impression that the co-writer was really just the writer and all Mignola just lent his name and maybe some plot points to those books

Christian    752

Hellboy: Into the Silent Sea-I'm of two minds about this graphic novel. I did enjoy it, after a slow start. However, it ends so abruptly, that the plot ends up feeling quite thin. This should have been (and would have worked better as) a double-sized one-shot, rather than an over-priced hardcover. The artwork is beautiful, of course. I've found that it seems more and more that Mignola is more interested in showing off different artists in his Hellboy Universe titles, rather than being concerned with the story anymore. There is a good story in this graphic novel, but it feels like it's rushed through very quickly, which isn't what you want in a $15 book.

• Upvote 1

Christian    752

Eh, it wasn't what I was expecting to get from this series.

The ending of #4 was quite emotional, I will definitely give the book that.

Lou K    1,064

Really seems like Hellboy as a whole is running out of steam.

Christian    752

Yeah, it has been for a long time, since the "Hell on Earth" stuff started in BPRD, really. Mignola lost all direction for the books. It started to read more like a better-written and better-drawn Spawn, in that McFarlane promised that he had an end point he was going towards in Spawn, and then the comic just kept going and going and going, meandering all around, seemingly with no direction. Mignola promised that the world was really going to end. Well, he stretched it out and stretched it out, and then decided that he was going to break his promise, and after years of wasting time on the BPRD: Hell on Earth book, the world did not actually end.

Now, starting in June, Joe Golem will be the only Mignola book currently being published, which doesn't even take place in the Hellboy Universe. So, where is it all going?

It'd probably be best if Mignola did take an extended break, and decide if he really want to return to these characters.

Lou K    1,064

I think Lobster Johnson will still have titles coming out, no?

Christian    752

I just meant the current Lobster Johnson mini-series wrapped up this week, and I'm not sure when another one is scheduled at this point.

I'm sure Mignola will probably return to Lobster and Hellboy and the BPRD books again at some point, at the very least.

Baltimore and the Visitor will both see their current mini-series final issues ship in June. I haven't heard about any other Mignola books starting anytime soon. So, that will just leave Joe Golem as a monthly book from Mignola for the time being (it's five issues). So, unless Mignola has plans for more up-coming mini-series, we could see a Mignola-less comic book field for the first in years. Before that, Mignola had a comic series shipping four times a month.

I am really bored by Lobster Johnson, by the way. I'm not sure why I'm even still reading that title. It hasn't interested me in a long time. The first two mini-series were good, but after that, it just felt like Mignola was going through the motions, because it's an easy plot for him to churn out whenever he feels like it.

Lou K    1,064

Ah, gotcha. And the last few Hellboy and the BPRD rags were just fluff. $4 pieces of fluff

Avaunt    280

I third the Mignola *yawn* which is sad. Fell from a great height.

Christian    752

Well, as I assumed, Mike Mignola is coming back again in August.

The continuation of the present-day BPRD saga will pick up again with The Devil You Know mini-series.

Hellboy and the BPRD will be back with another story....although, this one sounds interesting to me, as it features Bigfoot.

Lobster Johnson will have a one-shot, taking place in Tokyo.

Plus, Mike Mignola has a new graphic novel unconnected to the Hellboy Universe, something to do with vampires again.

Christian    752

Hellboy and the BPRD: 1955-Wow! A Mignola book disappoints me once again. I should be used to this by now.

I was hoping for something different....the solicitation read "Oregon", "cryptozoologist", "1955"....Well, what does all that add up to? Bigfoot! No. Instead, we get another demon story. The ending of the issue summed up my feelings exactly....So, if the authors of said comic book felt that way, and they had creative control....why not actually pull the trigger and tell a cryptozoology story instead? It's not outside the confines of the Hellboy Universe, which used to be vast, but now seems to be the same old thing constantly.

Even teasing the reader....using Bigfoot and revealing that he was some sort of demonic being or something, could have been at least interesting. Nope, the same old Hellboy story I've read countless times now. A demon. Black magic. Yawn.

Plus, the writer (I'm looking at Chris Robertson, since it seems to be taking precedence since he's come aboard as co-writer, rather than a decision by Mignola) has a tendency to want to tell stories about racism with Hellboy Universe comics now. That's great most of the time. I'm a long-time Left-Winger concerned with issues like racism, after all. It's just that the topic really doesn't have much of a place in the Hellboy Universe. That was never what these Mignola books were all about. The Mignola books were always about escape and something more to reality. It's just like some concepts are fine in certain comic books, while others don't work. A comic like Captain America (well, before he went all fascist) tackling the subject of poverty is a good idea. A comic like Fantastic Four tacking the same subject....it just seems out of place.

It wouldn't have jumped out at me so much, since this is a period piece series, taking place in the 1950s, when America wasn't exactly as enlightened as it is today (and, we know how enlightened Americans can be in 2017, so yeah....), but the writers seemed to focus heavily on the issue of race in the just-concluded The Visitor mini-series. I was expecting a mind-expanding origin story for the aliens from Hellboy-past, and instead I got a "grounded" story, featuring domestic situations and racial issues.

Once again, it just doesn't really work.

seventhcircle    584

i bought a big fat hellboy-hardcover-collection, or whatever you want to call it.

one hardcover with seeds of destruction, wake the devil and the right hand of doom.

already blazed through seeds of destruction.

wooo