Sign in to follow this  
Shawn

Hellboy/B.P.R.D. thread

seventhcircle    595

ah so this one is called a compendium. i got the second one. it contains the box full of evil, conquerer worm, third wish and island all in color. sadly no more are on the market right now.

2 compendiums = 100 euros :/ worth it :D

on a sidenote: conquerer worm is shitty translated, the german transcript calls it more like winner worm, while the poe-verse is usually translated closer to the english meaning.

i love the comics. also i must say that the movies did a really good job, but the atmoshpere of the books is something special.

Dave    281

As much as I like them, I have always felt there was something off with the tone of the Hellboy movies.

Christian    791

It'd be very hard to capture the haunting tone that runs through the original Mignola-run on Hellboy.

The movies are more just fun romps, for a mass-audience.

The body is there, but not the spirit that animates the Mignola comics as being amongst the best comics ever written.

• Upvote 1

Christian    791

Jenny Finn #1 was quite good. Mignola can still tell a good story, I just think that he's beaten the Hellboy Universe in to the ground by this point.

It's set in the Victorian era and features elements of Jack the Ripper and the Lovecraftian. It's not going to set the comic world on fire with its originality, but it is a good story that hearkens back to the day when you looked forward to reading Mignola's next comic project.

Christian    791

It was better than Rasputin #1, and I did like Rasputin #1. It seemed better than a lot of the Hellboy tie-in books that have been coming out recently. The issue with Rasputin #1 is that it's too soon to tell where it is going. Maybe it actually will be a good read worth publishing, but it could easily just slip in to rehashes of beloved past Hellboy stories, without any discernible purpose for a Rasputin comic to exist. Jenny Finn doesn't have that risk, because it's something outside the shadow of all those marvelous Hellboy and BPRD stories from yesteryear, before the franchise got stale.

Christian    791

Koschei the Deathless #1-A Mike Mignola Hellboy spin-off comic that succeeds in 2018? A miracle may be upon us.

Mignola returns to his Hellboy in Hell setting, but the story is really a flashback story.

This harkens back to classic Mignola, with a story that is truly weird and easily stands out as a story that could imaginatively figure as actual Russian mythology (not just based off of such). High praise, indeed.

Dave    281

Nice. I was thinking about sitting this one out, but you've talked me into it.

Lou K    1,092

Koshchei the Deathless continues to be excellent.  This is the hell boy* story I’ve been waiting years to read. 

*drinks, oops

Dave    281

So i just read the newest BPRD issue from a few weeks ago last night. It begins with actual Hellboy in Hell drawn by Mignola himself. So you've got like 3 pages of classic Hellboy, before it returns to what is left of the world and the BPRD. So if any of you guys are completist, it's there.

BTW, I enjoyed the issue alot beyond the opening bit, there is a bit of a mystery going on with BPRD personnel which could either be great, or really blow so we'll see on that.

Christian    791

Yeah, it feels like it might be going somewhere.

On the other hand, this is scarily starting to remind me of Todd McFarlane on Spawn. He said he had a beginning, middle, and ending for the Spawn character when the comic began, and that the series would end at the proper point, and that would be the end of Spawn, and that it wasn't going to end up like all the other superhero books, where the characters continue indefinitely doing the exact same plots over and over again.

I'm worried that Mignola is moving in the same direction with BPRD now. He said that he had an end point for the universe he created, and he was moving towards it, and that characters would die and stay dead along the way. Well, that "Hell on Earth" cycle went on and on for years, with the pay-off seemingly being that the world was truly going to end. Except, it didn't. The whole story just sort of petered out, which left a very bitter taste in my mouth, especially after those years of sub-par and boring stories making up "Hell on Earth".

Now, Mignola says he always planned for a trilogy, and that "Hell on Earth" was just the second chapter. OK. I'm willing to give Mignola the benefit of the doubt right now, because there actually is a pertinent reason for the dead to be returning. Hell was destroyed, so it would make sense that the dead are returning now.

This better be moving towards the end of everything. That the heroes thought they ended up the big threat and that the world was saved, only to find out that everything is not better, and the end is still coming. It also better not end with a happy ending, where everyone is alive and well again, and things end happily ever after. Mignola said that the world he created was going to end.

Christian    791

I'm enjoying the new Witchfinder mini-series (Gates of Heaven). D'Israeli is on art, so you can't go wrong with the art.

The plot involves ancient mysteries and will be fleshing out the back-story of a character from the BPRD series.