Sign in to follow this  
Shawn

Hellboy/B.P.R.D. thread

ah so this one is called a compendium. i got the second one. it contains the box full of evil, conquerer worm, third wish and island all in color. sadly no more are on the market right now.

2 compendiums = 100 euros :/ worth it :D

on a sidenote: conquerer worm is shitty translated, the german transcript calls it more like winner worm, while the poe-verse is usually translated closer to the english meaning.

i love the comics. also i must say that the movies did a really good job, but the atmoshpere of the books is something special.

As much as I like them, I have always felt there was something off with the tone of the Hellboy movies.

It'd be very hard to capture the haunting tone that runs through the original Mignola-run on Hellboy.

The movies are more just fun romps, for a mass-audience.

The body is there, but not the spirit that animates the Mignola comics as being amongst the best comics ever written.

• Upvote 1

Jenny Finn #1 was quite good. Mignola can still tell a good story, I just think that he's beaten the Hellboy Universe in to the ground by this point.

It's set in the Victorian era and features elements of Jack the Ripper and the Lovecraftian. It's not going to set the comic world on fire with its originality, but it is a good story that hearkens back to the day when you looked forward to reading Mignola's next comic project.

It was better than Rasputin #1, and I did like Rasputin #1. It seemed better than a lot of the Hellboy tie-in books that have been coming out recently. The issue with Rasputin #1 is that it's too soon to tell where it is going. Maybe it actually will be a good read worth publishing, but it could easily just slip in to rehashes of beloved past Hellboy stories, without any discernible purpose for a Rasputin comic to exist. Jenny Finn doesn't have that risk, because it's something outside the shadow of all those marvelous Hellboy and BPRD stories from yesteryear, before the franchise got stale.

Koschei the Deathless #1-A Mike Mignola Hellboy spin-off comic that succeeds in 2018? A miracle may be upon us.

Mignola returns to his Hellboy in Hell setting, but the story is really a flashback story.

This harkens back to classic Mignola, with a story that is truly weird and easily stands out as a story that could imaginatively figure as actual Russian mythology (not just based off of such). High praise, indeed.

Nice. I was thinking about sitting this one out, but you've talked me into it.

Koshchei the Deathless continues to be excellent.  This is the hell boy* story I’ve been waiting years to read. 

*drinks, oops

So i just read the newest BPRD issue from a few weeks ago last night. It begins with actual Hellboy in Hell drawn by Mignola himself. So you've got like 3 pages of classic Hellboy, before it returns to what is left of the world and the BPRD. So if any of you guys are completist, it's there.

BTW, I enjoyed the issue alot beyond the opening bit, there is a bit of a mystery going on with BPRD personnel which could either be great, or really blow so we'll see on that.

Yeah, it feels like it might be going somewhere.

On the other hand, this is scarily starting to remind me of Todd McFarlane on Spawn. He said he had a beginning, middle, and ending for the Spawn character when the comic began, and that the series would end at the proper point, and that would be the end of Spawn, and that it wasn't going to end up like all the other superhero books, where the characters continue indefinitely doing the exact same plots over and over again.

I'm worried that Mignola is moving in the same direction with BPRD now. He said that he had an end point for the universe he created, and he was moving towards it, and that characters would die and stay dead along the way. Well, that "Hell on Earth" cycle went on and on for years, with the pay-off seemingly being that the world was truly going to end. Except, it didn't. The whole story just sort of petered out, which left a very bitter taste in my mouth, especially after those years of sub-par and boring stories making up "Hell on Earth".

Now, Mignola says he always planned for a trilogy, and that "Hell on Earth" was just the second chapter. OK. I'm willing to give Mignola the benefit of the doubt right now, because there actually is a pertinent reason for the dead to be returning. Hell was destroyed, so it would make sense that the dead are returning now.

This better be moving towards the end of everything. That the heroes thought they ended up the big threat and that the world was saved, only to find out that everything is not better, and the end is still coming. It also better not end with a happy ending, where everyone is alive and well again, and things end happily ever after. Mignola said that the world he created was going to end.

I'm enjoying the new Witchfinder mini-series (Gates of Heaven). D'Israeli is on art, so you can't go wrong with the art.

The plot involves ancient mysteries and will be fleshing out the back-story of a character from the BPRD series.

I've never read the Hellboy universe stuff, but Dark Horse has pretty much their entire back catalog up on Hoopla so I decided to dive in and start reading with "Seed of Destruction".  Looking over the list of Hellboy and BPRD volumes is...daunting, to say the least.  How in the hell are you supposed to read through this stuff, do the Hellboy and BPRD volumes crisscross with another?  Do you read them separately?  How many damn relaunch volumes of BPRD are there?  I'm not finding this to be very reader friendly, I'm afraid.

That said, "Seed of Destruction" was decent with some great Mignola artwork.  Reading my way through "Wake the Devil" now!  

You could read just Hellboy and be fine, They sort of run Parallel with Hellboy crossing into BPRD, but it was always a secondary book. For some reason early on the BPRD minis were always relaunched with #1s but on the inside cover it would say something like "23 in the series" My advice, Just read Hellboy, then if you are still interested go back and dive into the different BPRD/Abe Sapien/Hellboy and the BPRD books.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah I read Hellboy, but BPRD never really grabbed me for whatever reason. You can read Hellboy on it's own and be just fine. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I read all of Hellboy alone, until the end of "The Storm and the Fury", which effectively ends the Hellboy story, proper, for that point in time.

It was followed by Hellboy in Hell. That follows directly on from the other Hellboy comics, and is pretty much self-contained too.

After "The Storm and the Fury" ended, I decided to start reading all of the BPRD comics, and other spin-offs. So, it's perfectly readable to do it in that way.

Here is a list of the publication order of the BPRD comics. This should help you.

I would stop reading BPRD at the end of "volumn one", which ends with the "King of Fear" story-arc.

That leads in to the "Hell on Earth" saga, which was long and dull and pretty pointless. It's not essential reading, really, unless you want to read the entirety of the canon.

If you really love the Hellboy Universe and want to be a completest, you can pick up from there later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bureau_for_Paranormal_Research_and_Defense#Publication_history

Here are the Abe Sapien comics now. I would only read the first two TPBs worth of Abe Sapien comics ("The Drowning" and "The Devil Does Not Jest and other stories").

After that, Abe Sapien's comic ties directly in to the events of "Hell on Earth", and, once again, I would recommend skipping that, at least for now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abe_Sapien#Collected_editions

Witchfinder is set in the Victorian era, and its continuity is usually kept separate from the wider Hellboy Universe, and only ties in when you read the entirety of the Hellboy Universe canon. They're not essential reading, but you can read any of the Witchfinder books at any time, and you shouldn't be lost, or you can just skip them completely for the time being.

I wouldn't worry about anything else, for now. These were the classic Mignola comics, from the period when Hellboy and BPRD were at their best, before he started the "Hell on Earth" mess.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Christian said:

I wouldn't worry about anything else, for now.

except Koschei the Deathless. Damn that was good

Yeah, that was Mignola back in top-form. It was published in 2018 though, so I doubt that he has to rush to read Koschei, compared to the period when the rest I recommended were published. heh

I will say this,  those early BPRD books have some great Guy Davis art and might be worth reading just for that. I always felt his work was a great compliment to Mignola; it was very different obviously,  but so moody and weird.  it really worked for that book.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Christian, that's extremely helpful!  Just going back and reading over some of the stuff in this thread has made me wary of the "Hell On Earth" stuff, but it looks like it would be a long time reading before I make it to that point anyway.  

Dave, I didn't know Guy Davis was the artist on BPRD, I love his work.  His Sandman Mystery Theatre remains some of my favorite art, so I'm happy to hear that I've got his work to look forward to!

• Upvote 1

I was always a fan of the BPRD series. It's not quite as strong as Hellboy, but I felt helped add to the Hellboy Universe and make Mignola's books stand out as one of the strongest comic universes ever created.

BPRD certainly starts off slowly (first two TPBs worth of material), with it being more an excuse for Mignola to allow other creators to play in his sandbox, sure. However, once it got to the "Plague of Frogs" story-arc, and straight through to "King of Fear", I felt the series was always very strong.

I don't feel that just artwork is needed as an excuse to read and enjoy BPRD.

BPRD: The Devil You Know #11 (Ragnarok, part 1)-Oh yes! This just got so good. All the patience is finally paying off. The ending of "Hell on Earth" was all just a ruse, making the reader think that Mignola had changed plans, and that things weren't going to end up so badly. Oh no. The End is coming.

Hellboy Winter Special 2018-I liked one of the three stories.

The Mignola story did nothing for me. It's a story we've seen plenty of times before, in different variation, throughout the Hellboy canon. The artwork was nice though.

The Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba story was my favourite. It was quite good. It played heavily off of the BPRD: Vampire story-arc they did artwork on with Mignola writing, and I'm not sure if the story would make a great deal of sense if you hadn't read that story. Otherwise though, it used a Balkan pagan New Year's ritual to nice effect. Something different, unused by Mignola in the Hellboy Universe.

The Lobster Johnson story by Tonco Zonjic was just....yawn. I'm completely bored with Lobster Johnson stories, by this point.

It felt like filler in between a quality Moon and Ba short story, but that's been about the level of these Winter Specials since the first one. I still get excited to see it on the shipping schedule each year though. I guess the Moon and Ba story made it worthwhile though.