Sign in to follow this  
Shawn

Hellboy/B.P.R.D. thread

BPRD: The Devil You Know #15-The End.

Amazing! Mike Mignola kept his promise. All the prophecies came together. It really was the end of the world, and the new race of man.

All the waiting was worth it. There was a long stretch of nothing happening and fear that Mignola had lost his thread, but this completes one of the greatest universes ever created in comic books. I am pleased.

Sure, Mignola still has plans for some more flashback stories featuring Hellboy, so there is still more comics to come. Everything has been wrapped up now, and the rest is just icing on the finished cake.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm going to have to go back and read last month's book, but I think most of our heroes are dead. Maybe a few made it into the caverns. It was real nice to have Mignola finish the art himself too.

Real impressed by this book after they seemed to lose their nerve a few years ago

Yes, most of the heroes died. Three main characters died in the past two issues, to be sure. However, one of those main characters could have survived in to the new world, and probably shouldn't have been killed in the last issue. His death seemed pointless, unlike the other two main characters.

Oh well, I am still completely pleased with this issue as an ending to twenty-five years.

Wow, so this is the end of the story..amazing that Mignola and the rest got here - and stunned with the ending. I gasped a few times, because some big stuff happens a few times. Mike Mignola drew half of the issue - and packed his pages with his probably best work ever - economic storytelling, where every panel is like a music note, and it flows with beautiful poetry of storytelling. Also, not much vagueness - pretty much everything that happens happens - its not a dream sequence, its not a prophecy.. it's the end of the world and scyscraper sized monsters are like 8th most noticable thing that happens here

go read that comic - even if you're not completly up with B.P.R.D - most of the plot points refer back to old school Hellboy stories that mignola wrote and drew. 

Good point. I mean, you can read Hellboy in Hell for the end of Hellboy's story, as there is a definitive end point for that character at the end. However, I would recommend that people who have only read the Hellboy comics, and skipped the BPRD spin-offs (why did you do it?), would be interested to see how the whole thing ends.

I mean, there is some hand-waving on Mignola's part about the status of Hellboy (so as not to invalidate Hellboy in Hell), but this was Hellboy completing his role in prophecy, as touched on in a number of earlier Hellboy comics.

I think Hellboy In Hell was something Mignola really wanted to do - unleash his imagination - but it wasn't really plot driven. As much as i liked the ending of HoH - it was the ending of that series and like it had a bit of a dreamlike quality and no reprecussions in the "real world". In the BPRD ending i felt the real world shake - at least the real world of that story - but i also felt the impact as a reader. I'm happy both exist!

I read all of BPRD until The New World, which i read sporadically - it seemed like a lot of soldier action that i wasn't so much into - with some highlights like The Long Death. I hopped back on with The Devil You Know. Didn't read any of the Abe Sapien stuff or the Frankenstein - which turned out to be of some importance in setting up the underground world. Good time to fill in the gaps :)

Yeah, The New World and Abe Sapien were the period where I felt Mignola was just killing time. Now, I think that he really wanted to end his story with the 25th anniversary of his universe, and he really was killing time during that long, dull middle period.

There were some highlights in the Abe Sapien series, but a lot of it was pretty similar to what was going on in BPRD during The New World. I'd say you are safe to skip most of The New World, but I think you should go back and fill in at least some of the missing Abe Sapien ongoing series.

I would definitely recommend reading Frankenstein Underground. It was worth your time, and was just a mini-series, so doesn't require the commitment of The New World or Abe Sapien's ongoing series.

Hellboy and the BPRD: Saturn Returns-What....the.....hell?

I expect most of these Hellboy and the BPRD (the ones not written exclusively by Mignola) minis to be boring. This one checks that box.

Yet, I'm not sure that this damn story made one lick of sense. I couldn't piece together an actual story here.

I have no idea what this final issue had to do with anything. The second issue went off on some tangent about Erich Von Daniken's Chariots of the Gods. Since the story was set in the 1970s, I thought that was sort of neat, because that was a major aspect of pop culture at that time-period. That went absolutely nowhere though. I don't understand what it was doing in the story, and I don't know what there was of an actual plot to these three issues anyway.

What does the title even mean? A reference to Saturnalia, surely. That title ends up meaning absolutely nothing in the end.

There's been a long series of missing person cases in this small New Hampshire town through the ages. The police have finally come upon bodies. There are theories as to what is going on. Something from the history of the BPRD seems to be responsible. Then, the perpetrator is shot in the head. The End. That's enough plot for one comic. Meanwhile, a young Liz runs away from the BPRD....and this ties in to the wider story how? It's like an extra half-a-story gets tacked on to this story-arc to pad out page count, and then it's resolved without making much sense either.

The sad part is that it was another missed opportunity. Move the story two years later, since it took place in the 1970s anyway, and move it to Massachusetts instead, since it already took place in New England; it could have featured the Dover Demon. That would have given the story a bit more depth.

Just thinking about this comic makes me angry. I think I'm putting more time and effort in to being angry than the writers spent on the plotting. I must stop ever thinking about this comic book series again.

Terrible! Terrible even with low expectations. Bring on a Mike Mignola written Hellboy Halloween issue.

"Saturn's return" is the completion of a full astrological cycle once Saturn is back where it was in your horoscope when you were born. It's quite a big deal for people who take astrology seriously. Thirty years, or however long it takes Saturn to complete a full orbit.

Or they could be thinking of the Goldie album about that...

Oh, well, it still doesn't make much sense. Saturn would take 29 years to complete a full orbit, I believe.

No one is celebrating any sort of birthday in the issue, to be literal. Hellboy would have been born in 1945, if we consider the time he arrived on Earth as his "birth". Liz is still a teenager in the issue. Hellboy would have turned 29 before 1977 when the story is set. So, I still don't understand what the title has to do with anything.

Well, I was right to look forward to "Long Night at Goloski Station". Very good.

Now, let's look at this Hellblazer relaunch, and see if it can compare to the Hellboy comic. I have my doubts, because this was a damn fine story.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, the new Witchfinder mini-series is going to be about Jack the Ripper, eh? Why? I mean, it was bound to happen eventually. An occult detective operating in Victorian London....sigh. That case has finally been solved now. Can't we just move on now? I'm so tired of Jack the Ripper stories. I was hoping when the case was pronounced solved that we'd finally see the Jack the Ripper speculation die away.

The only Jack the Ripper story I will ever approve of going forward is my theory that the TV show Three's Company was really about Jack the Ripper in 1970s California. Think about it. What was the main character's name? Jack Tripper....Jack T. Ripper. It's so obvious. That story still needs to be told. Otherwise, time to let it die.

• Like 2

Yes, "Long Night at Goloski Station" was very good. That's how Hellboy should be done