Master Pernath

Are you a Milligan or a Milligant?

Oh, there's no doubt that Ashes & Dust was the low point of HB, until some of this Milligan foolishness.

If I hadn't picked the book up during Ennis' run, as I did (or beforehand), I don't know if I would have kept reading HB.

Maybe Ellis' run could have hooked me. Reading Jenkins today, I would have kept going, but at the time when Jenkins was being released, I just wasn't in the right mind-set that I don't think the book would have hooked me.

For me, jumping on during Ennis was just about the perfect point for me to get addicted to Constantine. Reading the back-issues by Delano is what made me totally fall in love and want to make sweet, sweet love to John Constantine.

If I had come aboard during Azzarello's run, I don't know what the hell I would have made of the book, but I wouldn't have wanted to read it with my ten-foot pole. Gah, imagine "Good Intentions" being your first taste of JC.

Yeah, like I said, I started with Delano as I was reading Carey, so that's like getting hooked by one of these.

can-stock-photo_csp1688227.jpg

• Upvote 1

Yeah, Christian, you don't have to be bonkers to read Hellblazer.

But it helps.

The league table of writers compiled from Expert Opinion, suggests that there was not a nosedive,

but a series of plateaus (even a peak midway through Diggle's and Milligan's runs).

I found a chart that represents my view.

You prefer both Ellis and Azzarello to Carey? :ohmy:

"Gosh. Milligan sure has improved from the early days. He wasn't very good back then. He's come so far with his work on Hellblazer and the New 52."

Is what the teenieboppers will say.

"McCarhy? Why, I remember McCarthy. He did a lot of good for this country. I always wondered what happened to him. It figures he'd end up one of them hippies, doing drugs and making art. The best ones always end up on the wrong side. We need some good ol' fashioned McCarthyism today."

Is what really old folks will say.

It does sound really good. I already own a few of those comics though....Rogan Gosh, Skin, Paradax.

I really wanted to pick up that Zaucer of Zilk series, but my local shop didn't bother to order it.

It's the terrible resolution to his arcs that have driven me mad. The plots where even if there's a good set-up, as I thought the insanity/thumb cutting issues did, the resolution is often "Well, lets not do that." When I've dropped Hellblazer in the past, it's always been a matter of finances - comics or food. Reading these last few issues has been the first time I've looked at Hellblazer as some weird obligation.

Looking back over the past dozen issues or so, I like the rare times when Milligan tries to look at John as the aged former rebel. When he tries to pull out the punk duds or walks past a 99% rally at the beginning of the latest arc. But it never seems to really go anywhere.

• Upvote 1

Milligans stuff wasn't bad, but I did feel that his run had too many plot holes and rather than him actually tying up any loose ends like a proper writer. He would just have John figure his way out of the problem through chance and not wit or anything. Hell this last arc started out interesting but the resolution was just stupid on all levels.

Copied and pasted from a different thread: blush.gif

I don't think Pete's run is bad or somehow objectively wrong, it's just nothing I'd want to read. I also believe Hellblazer could, uh, be more; but that's entirely subjective.

There are a million comics I don't want to read. It's too bad Hellblazer became one of them.

• Upvote 3

hear hear! I* can't believe that it still keeps getting worse. The fact that it made that top 10 list just confirms that most people, especially in the corporate mainstream media, are just stupid. No offense to anyone who loves Milligan's run, but - I mean - -

• Upvote 1

hear hear! I* can't believe that it still keeps getting worse. The fact that it made that top 10 list just confirms that most people, especially in the corporate mainstream media, are just stupid. No offense to anyone who loves Milligan's run, but - I mean - -

I came to that grim realization with the reviews for JL: Cry For Justice.

A writer comes along and ruins one of your favourite characters. What should you do? I hear it. What you want. Say it. I hear it now.....

"...Cry for Justice!"

(Those who didn't have the misfortune to pick up an issue of that book won't understand this.)

A writer comes along and ruins one of your favourite characters. What should you do? I hear it. What you want. Say it. I hear it now.....

"...Cry for Justice!"

(Those who didn't have the misfortune to pick up an issue of that book won't understand this.)

I didn't buy it, but when it comes to maiming Roy Harper and killing off his lil girl (see my remark in the Hellblazer ends, Constantine begins thread about killing off kids who aren't the Almighty Damien Al Ghul..er..Wayne), I fully understand it.

I only bought the first issue, and it was so poorly written and overly melodramatic that I never looked at it again. I didn't even know what happened in the rest of the series.

I only bought the first issue, and it was so poorly written and overly melodramatic that I never looked at it again. I didn't even know what happened in the rest of the series.

I spoiled the excerts of it (as mentioned). Then there's the ending...

"JUSTICE!"

301.jpg

Aye, that panel's about all you need to know about Cry For Justice.

I foolishly bought the trade just to find out just how DC had arrived at the events of The Rise Of Arsenal, which I had also foolishly bought (damn my Green Arrow fanboy completist nature).

Next to The Rise Of Arsenal, Cry For Justice reads like Watchmen. I'd still rather read either of them than......no, actually, they're both worse than Milligan's current run. Awful, horrible things.

• Upvote 1

You buy a comic that's heavily hyped. It's terrible. Your life is in shambles. You don't know what to do. But, somewhere deep inside, a voice is telling you. It wants you to say it. Yes, go ahead. Say it. No one will hold it against you now. Yes, do it now....

"...Cry for Justice!"

• Upvote 1