Master Pernath

Are you a Milligan or a Milligant?

Oh, the humanity! First the eagles eating his liver...and now this! Oh, Prometheus, my Prometheus....

Plus the characterization was more Snidley Whiplash by the way of Paul Darrow circa Timelash.

Soooo, after reading Milligan's run... I think I do not hate it as much as you, guys. I'd still put it as one of the worst, but I think I enjoyed it more than Mina's. Mina didn't make John do out-of-character stuff, but I found here stories (or story) less entertaining than Milligan's. I consider Milligan's HB a good comic, but quite a bad Constantine book.

That being said, I think Milligan has never read "The Family Man". Or any of the previous appearances of Gemma. Or any issues with Kit.

Also, why is Gemma blonde now?

Gemma is blonde because she loves her Uncle John.

And because despite sorting much of those issues out way back, apparently she had counselling that turned her back into her teenage self. Or maybe it's her way of dealing with being raped by her Uncle's doppleganger.

• Upvote 1

yeah, shouldn't she be well into her 30s by now?

She should be 34 going on 35. Whoever that blonde wet week we had to endure, it ain't the Gemma we knew. She'd hobble Greaves' legs like she did ol' boy in Reason to be Cheerful rather than fuck him.

Gemma was duped by that older man at the start of Mike Carey's run, and this was elegantly dealt with by Carey's later stories of Gemma, and also by Denise Mina. She is shown having trouble in counselling about her mum's death, which is never really explained. Unexplained behaviour is not surprising in the context of Epiphany and Angie and even the odd cameo of Kit at the wedding.

Here's a thing, perhaps Peter Milligan has written a strong, consistent woman in Hellblazer: Phoebe.

We complained that there was no context for Constantine being besotted with her, and his behaviour towards her was out of character, and then she was killed and replaced by Epiphany.

Women, eh lads, can't live with 'em, can't stuff enough of them in your refrigerator.

Gemma was duped by that older man at the start of Mike Carey's run, and this was elegantly dealt with by Carey's later stories of Gemma, and also by Denise Mina. She is shown having trouble in counselling about her mum's death, which is never really explained. Unexplained behaviour is not surprising in the context of Epiphany and Angie and even the odd cameo of Kit at the wedding.

Here's a thing, perhaps Peter Milligan has written a strong, consistent woman in Hellblazer: Phoebe.

We complained that there was no context for Constantine being besotted with her, and his behaviour towards her was out of character, and then she was killed and replaced by Epiphany.

Women, eh lads, can't live with 'em, can't stuff enough of them in your refrigerator.

Irony!

Though, I still maintain the probability that Milligan wasnt playing loose with continuity when Bob Schreck was still editor for Scab and the Plague Doctor bits.

The couple of issues of Strange Days I've read are great, so there'll be some lovely stuff in that.

There were only three issues of that series. It was then continued as Johnny Nemo Magazine for another, I want to say, four issues.

The Johnny Nemo book had Sindi Shade as the back-up.

The Nemo/Sindi stories won't be reprinted in this collection though.

I think there's already a collection of the Johnny Nemo stuff out there.

Random Johnny Nemo related fact:

For the past 20-odd years, every north-point I have drawn on a plan has been based around the N on Johnny Nemo's gun. In that time, only 1 person has ever recognised it as such.

• Upvote 1

That's rather stylish. Maybe it doesn't get recognised because you're not sporting the quiff and the ugly blue suit?

Random Johnny Nemo related fact:

For the past 20-odd years, every north-point I have drawn on a plan has been based around the N on Johnny Nemo's gun. In that time, only 1 person has ever recognised it as such.

Umm, could you expain that a bit further?

When you draw an architectural plan, you should always add a compass point showing north, so that you can easily compare drawings in different orientations.

Johnny Nemo's gun had a stylized "N", enclosed in a cirlce, on the side: angled slightly to the right, with the uprights of the N extending to touch the edge of the circle.

I took that, adjusted it to make it a bit more abstract and rationalised it to a particular set of geometric principles to make sure I could replicate it easily and accurately regardless of the size.

Add an arrowhead, and voila: a compass point indicating N for North. Only once, when I was at university, did someone point at it and say "Johnny Nemo!". I was so pleased.

(tried to uplaod an image but it's telling me I only have 474 bytes available. Don't know how to get a bigger file on, and my computer at work won't let me edit PDF files)

• Upvote 2

That's rather stylish. Maybe it doesn't get recognised because you're not sporting the quiff and the ugly blue suit?

Well, I did have an ugly blue suit, but I left the psychbilly quiff behind when I was about 18.

Awesome. You could upload the image to Flickr or Photobucket, and then post the link here.