Shawn

X-Men: I'll be Back to the Future

Shawn    297

It's X-Men meets Terminator, Mark Miller says. Also, Matthew Vaughn left, Bryan Singer is back. So are Ian McKellan & Patrick Stewart, along with the past re-boot cast of Jame McAvoy Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawerence, Nicholas Hoult.

I love all the actors involved. Really. But it seems like they're adding too much to the stew.

http://www.comicbook...rticle&id=42375

BTW McKellan will likely go up against ....himself, in the theatres next summer!!! X-Men vs The Hobbit

Christian    744

X-Men vs. The Hobbit...doesn't sound like a fair fight.

Is Wolverine like Terminator because he has a metallic skeleton, or something? (It's actually Kitty who time travels in the comic too.)

It's based on the classic Days of Future Past story in X-Men. By the way, how crazy is it that the story-line was two issues? Today, it'd be a cross-over that lasted eight months, and where nothing happens!

Magneto wasn't part of that story in the comics though.

That'd be a good story to adapt, but it doesn't sound like there's a lot of influence from the original story.

If it was, you'd need Senator Kelly, Mystique's version of the Brotherhood of Mutants....

Umm....The assassination attempt on Kelly that leads to the dystopian future is going to be replaced by the assassination of John F. Kennedy?

• Upvote 2

Shawn    297

Now that you mention it....

http://www.ign.com/a...-of-future-past

Jackman is rumored to be in talks to appear. It's funny, he could play his past & future self. Cool!

I'm still not sure about it all. I really want X-Men First Class to stand on it's own as much as possible. Movies about the first team of X-Men in the 60s (maybe 70s) has potential.

• Upvote 1

Red    467

Not sure the film will be up to scratch, but you gotta love Hugh Jackman:

Red    467

The funny thing about the plot in this story is that it's actually completely understandable that ordinary humans would want to build machines able to destroy mutants. After all, many mutants can lay waste to cities and kill at will. Some of them do these things. What would you do, if you were in a postion of power, faced with this situation?

Lou K    1,057

You would form a counter attack group to wipe out this god damn mutant threat!

*slams fist on table*

• Upvote 1

Mark    332

Yeah, the "mutants as persecuted minority" metaphor, while it's been the fuel for some fine stories over the years, does rather fall apart when you consider that a not-insignificant percentage of this persecuted minority are capable of levelling a city on a whim - or, rather more worryingly, entirely by accident. I'm not advocating a kill-all-the-mutants stance, but I don't think that some sort of gun license-equivalent register of mutant powers would be an especially unreasonable policy. Out here in the real world one would hope that the police would keep a bit of an eye on a belligerent drunk with a well-established history of attacking both friends and enemies alike while undergoing one of his not-infrequent violent and uncontrollable rages. If said belligerent drunk could also sprout 12-inch knives from his fists, I'd like to think that suitable precautions would be taken. I don't think this attitude particularly conflicts with my live-and-let-live woolly liberal sensibilities.

• Upvote 1

Christian    744

David Lapham's Age of Apocalypse dealt with this theme. In that world, Apocalypse conquers the world and sets out a genocide campaign against humans. So, characters who are mutant-hating loons in the regular Marvel Universe (like Rev. Stryker) are the heroes in that comic. They were pretty much right. Mutants were out to get humans and humans were endangered by the mutant threat, now they're freedom fighters.

There is a slight problem with using mutants as a metaphor for minorities. When some Right-Wing loony says that "homosexuals are going to euthanise all straight males!", no one takes that seriously. Mutants, on the other hand, have powers that can kill large numbers of humans in an instant.

The problem is that the Sentinels are made to hunt down all mutants, not just mutants who are threatening Homo Sapiens. Then, gradually, it gets to the point where all mutants are locked in concentration camps and being killed off by the government.

Mutantions don't necessarily mean that someone is going to have super-powers. So, crazy mutant who killed thousands with his power is locked up beside that guy who was born with really buggy eyes, because they're both mutants.

Besides, we're right back at Civil War again, aren't we? It goes beyond mutations, which are genetic, and goes in to the realm of super powers. Should super rich guy be able to build himself a suit that's the equivalent of a small army and fly it around wherever he wants? Or, should he have to register his suit with the government?

I guess what you could argue is that some day soon, African-Americans and Latino-Americans are going to be a majority in the United States. When that happens, there's a good chance that the face of American government will be totally changed, with mostly former-minorities elected in to office. You could say that white Americans should be planning an eugenics policy right now to ensure that this does not happen, in case African-Americans or Latino-Americans decide to set up an apartheid State against white people. Obviously, this is not something that the majority of people are going to agree with, but it could be said that there is always a slight chance of this happening some time in the future.

Christian    744

There's also the fact that it's considered a scientific fact in the Marvel Universe that mutants are the next stage in human evolution. Perhaps Homo Sapiens are just holding back progress by considering mutants a threat?

What has mankind done? Did we worry about how the apes would feel, or did we destroy their land and put them on an endangered species list?

What happened when Europeans (who considered their society superior) met Native Americans? Look how well things went with the Natives.

Yes, humanity eventually wised up, and now we preserve those things that we once destroyed with abandon...or, to an extent, anyway. Progress still comes first.

Who says that the next stage in human evolution means an evolution in morality? There's a very good chance that it does not.

So, in the name of progress, mutants should be wiping out Homo Sapiens and getting on with where the world is meant to move.

Yes, some day the mutants will wake up and benevolently give us protected status and a little piece of land and some welfare and write books about how the extermination campaign was a bad idea....

Christian    744

Yes, I write a lot on this subject, but it's X-Men. I'm a X-Men nerd, ok? I think about this stuff.

There's also the fact that during Claremont's run on X-Men he had Magneto join the X-Men. The idea was that, based on the Days of Future Past time-line, Magneto was basically proven right. Claremont made Magneto into a revolutionary, instead of a villain. He had grown up as a Jewish boy in Nazi Germany and watched his family and friends killed by the government. He was paranoid that Homo Sapiens were planning to do the same thing to mutants now. Lo and behold, after the X-Men went in to the future, they saw that Magneto was right, and the Homo Sapiens government was planning to do the same thing to mutants as the Nazis attempted to do to other minorities. Magneto was right, and didn't look so crazy after all. So, that was Chris Claremont's view.

• Upvote 3

Avaunt    278

We are not going to get super powered mutants anytime soon. But wasn't Steve Jobs a mutant?. Myopia, freakish height, abnormal brain power, atypical personality . . . and, unchecked, he used his creepy powers to change the world at a speed, and to an extent, we have hardly had to endue before. Who knows how far we would be in his thrall, if he also had of had healing power?.

• Upvote 2

Red    467

I guess it all boils down to the intrinsically problematic idea of superpowers, in a social setting.

Akhira    29

Hasn't anyone else seen this yet. I loved it. X-men:DoFP fixes almost all mistakes made in the X3 and the reboot. ([ Spoiler : Except giving us a better Cyclops. ])

Christian    744

I can't see it. Hearing that they changed the plot so that the Sentinels target all humans just ruins the movie for me. I normally don't care about taking liberties with comic book plots...but with Days of Future Past, that just ruins the whole point of the story. That's just a change I don't care to see.

• Upvote 2

Avaunt    278

I got to see it first of all Aucklanders, along with all the other people who buy comics at Heroes for Sale, our awesome shop here on K'road. They get us some ridiculous sweet deals at times.

And it rocked, at one point people started whistling and yelling and cheering.

The changes were quite well handled I thought, and Fassbender (My sister-in-law tells me this is the German surname equivalent to Hooper. She also avers that his good looks are of the flawless/soul-less kind that have no interest to grown women, and would prefer a double serving of Mr Jackman =] ) was truly amazing and inspiring in his role. "OK, no more Mr Niceguy".

• Upvote 1

Red    467

I'm with Avaunt here. I enjoyed it quite a lot. Christian - you are misinformed. They never claim in the movie that the sentinels target all humans.