Sign in to follow this  
A. Heathen

Forthcoming comic books of note

Matt Kindt is a near guarantee with me.

The book by Steven T. Seagle and Teddy H. Kristiansen sounds good.

I'm very eager for "Trillium" by Jeff Lemiere. And his Green Arrow run

http://jefflemire.blogspot.com/2012/10/announcing-trillium.html

Coming next month, Hellboy in Hell will be fantastic! Mignola is back on art, though I'll miss Ricard Corben & Duncan Fegredo.

Coming...??? sometime 2013, Mark Waid writing Green Hornet with Paolo Rivera doing covers.

I just browsed the latest Previews (includes final Hellblazer).

2013 looks quite dull.

Dark Horse have a nice line in horror and seem to be the new Vertigo again.

An Aliens HC that I like the look of (Layman & Kieth)

stories by Gaiman & Kiernan in DHP

Mind MGMT

The Massive

To Hell You Ride, written by Lance Henriksen

some continuing old faves (Hellboy & Cal MacDonald)

Image have Diggle and Jock on Snapshot, continuing Bedlam, David Hine's Darkness, more Fatale,

Everywhere else it's franchises and trademarks.

What're you looking aforward to?

Brian Wood has been writing Conan The Barbarian for most of 2012. Becky Cloonan is doing some of the artwork.

I'm not sure how long Wood signed on for, but he has at least another half a year on the book, I'd say.

I haven't been totally impressed by the writing...it's adapting the "Queen of the Black Coast" Howard story, which was never one of my favourites, so your tastes may vary. The artwork has been very nice though.

I have a lot of respect for Cloonan as an artist. I didn't think her style would work well for Conan, but it has. I think she adapts her style to fit the subject as well as anyone these days.

conan2012-1-pg-01-fnl-1322532997.jpg

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=46733

Just a reprint monthly series, but I may get the finished collection.

Is there any possibility for new original "Maxx" comic books?

"No. [Laughs]

I said all I had to say in the first run, unless I get hit by a brick tomorrow and suddenly want to draw new "Maxx" crap, decide to screw it up with a sequel. You can't go home. Why ruin it? Let it be what it is. Maybe fans should thank me for not screwing it up and trying new stories! It would disappoint fans if I did it again. I might -- but only if I had anything new to say.

You could pretend that all these new covers I'm painting are like a new "Maxx" story, only with no words. And one panel a page. But they will all look so different... maybe that's proof that I'm doing us all a favor by not drawing a new "Maxx" series, because (for better or worse) I don't even draw like that anymore!"

More importantly:

Is there any involvement from your original "Maxx" co-writer William Messner-Loebs on the project?

"Well, not to exclude him in anyway, but since I started writing "Maxx" myself around issue #16, most of the unseen scenes were written and drawn by me. But Bill and I remain pals, and we're talking about possibly doing an "Epicurus" project down the road."

Comic Shop News for this week reports on a huge number of new books Image has planned for 2014. It's looking to be another good year for Image.

Too many books to really go over, but the one that sticks out for me as must buy is The Nameless by Grant Morrison.

Morrison decides to try to outdo Mike Carey in this new series. Morrison said, "Sure, Carey can write something that is supposedly Unwritten, but it still has a name. I plan to publish a book that will be nameless".

OK, most of that might be something I just made up.

But, yes, Morrison's next series will be The Nameless, which is described as "the ultimate horror comic", and Morrison actually said, "I want this to be for the modern era what Lovecraft's horror represented to the world wars generation."

Sold. And im surprised Comic Shop News is still a thing. My shop stopped carrying it years ago

I miss Comics International.

Fucking Mainwaring: he takes over from Dez Skinn as editor and they publish about five issues in eighteen months, then it vanishes.

Sold. And im surprised Comic Shop News is still a thing. My shop stopped carrying it years ago

I'm surprised as well, but I'm glad they still do. Most people probably get all their news on the internet, but for someone like me, who doesn't spend much time on comic news web-sites, I look forward to it every week to see what new books I can spend my money on next.

I wish my shop carried it too because, like you, I don't surf the comic news websites very often. I get most of my info from here.

Ditto. Thanks to Lou for those "comics this week" threads, to JMac for several years' worth of them in the past, and to the rest of y'all for the constant recommendations and tipoffs.

And for happy accidents, like Ade sending me somewhere where I'd find this:

ordinary-titan.jpg?resize=500%2C758

http://ordinary-comic.tumblr.com/