Rogan

Constantine : The Interviews

Here are some non-important answers : http://www.newsarama...onstantine.html

Venditti: His supporting cast will primarily be made up of new characters. The series finds Constantine having settled in New York City as a way of separating himself from his roots. He doesn’t trust himself to be around the people and places he cares about because he has a tendency to bring death— or worse —to their door. So now he’s in America, and he’s trying to go it alone. Invariably, though, he’ll start to form new relationships, and how he handles that will be a major underpinning of the series.

Here are some non-important answers : http://www.newsarama...onstantine.html

Venditti: His supporting cast will primarily be made up of new characters. The series finds Constantine having settled in New York City as a way of separating himself from his roots. He doesn’t trust himself to be around the people and places he cares about because he has a tendency to bring death— or worse —to their door. So now he’s in America, and he’s trying to go it alone. Invariably, though, he’ll start to form new relationships, and how he handles that will be a major underpinning of the series.

Nope. Still not gonna buy your shit, Venditti.

Rogan, get my tommy gun!

It sounds like the description to a 1980s sit-com.

John will eventually learn to trust and love again.

He's going to make it after all!

Hell, you know what would be awesome? If John's long lost cousin Balki immigrates to America and moves in with tough, cynical, but with a heart of gold "Uncle Johnny".

The rain and thunder, the wind and rain....nothing's gonna stop him now. It's his life, his dreams.

The latest issue of JLDoofuses has a mysterious corkboard with photos and suspicions/theories on numerous DCU superheroes (think Rip Hunter's chalkboard in "52". People are speculating it belongs to NuJohn.

Rip Hunter's chalkboard had to do with discrepancies in the time-line or something like that, right?

Didn't they already do that with Batman? Where he had all the ways you could kill other superheroes, just in case he was forced to kill them.

It wouldn't be hard to believe John doing such a thing with superheroes. Blackmail purposes, for one.

I think I remember something like that, vaguely, from Rick Veitch's run on Swamp Thing.

If the real Constantine did something like that, next to every photo it would just say things like "Bat-tosser - wealthy tosser?" "Superwank - wanker vulnerable to mumbo-jumbo?" "Martian Wankhunter keeps trying to mindrape me", plus some c-words, innits and numerous rude scribbles.

Or

(I know I've posted this before, but I'll keep on posting it till someone laughs)

• Upvote 1

That said, Veneditti does say this:

Constantine is a lot of things, but he isn’t a hero by anyone’s standards, least of all his own.

He’s still a bit of a conman and a double-dealer. He’s gruff, he likes his whisky and cigarettes, and he absolutely will do whatever he has to do to achieve his desired end.

If you’re one of the uninitiated and you don’t dabble in the dark arts, you probably don’t have much to fear from Constantine. He’s not interested in tormenting the blissfully unaware. But if you’ve decided to swim in his waters, then all bets are off. He’ll show you no mercy.

There's nothing in that I find objectionable, but it's all in the execution.

I'm still not holding out much hope, but I'll give it a go and decide then.

Or

(I know I've posted this before, but I'll keep on posting it till someone laughs)

Bwahahaha, this is brill! Haven't seen it before.

Yeah, his drink of choice has changed afore.

That description by Mr Venditti has more in common with view of John Constantine than recent issues of Hellblazer & Stacey

There's nothing in that I find objectionable

Do excuse me while I get my nerd on, But John's not a whisky drinker.

tumblr_mb0y1bfXu61rwfocao1_1280.jpg

• Upvote 1

So he's turning into a pale imitation of a Dashiel Hammet character.

No more Newcastle, or Ravenscar. No more monkey in his past. No more Kit or Dani. No more 'fuck you Maggie.' Probably no more 'fuck you' ever. Nergal will probably show up in some sort of wanker's cape. I bet he never called Batman squire, never tricked the Triumvirate of Hell, was never in Mucous Membrane.

John has now never spent time being homeless, no longer makes his money by ripping off rich wankers. Never shagged a lesbian. Hasn't told Merlin what a tosser he was, never made a deal with God, hasn't slugged a Santa in the street. Hasn't fucked a dog on the Internet, doesn't shove all his bad bits in Hell, hasn't fucked a succubus. Future writers will probably forget that John nicked the Testament of the Niphelim, shot the man who murdered his father, then forgave his father and left him to Hell. Probably has never been to the Vatican, or cut off his own thumb.

I don't approve of all of it, and some of it was shite, but there's a richness to the character that is being swept away. All these stories never happened to the new Constantine. Looking back reminds me of how much I REALLY have enjoyed all the very good bits Hellblazer had to offer, and how much I like the Sweary British Mage. How iconic he has become.

Time to reread it from the beginning, I think.

HB214.jpg

• Upvote 1

So he's turning into a pale imitation of a Dashiel Hammet character.

No more Newcastle, or Ravenscar. No more monkey in his past. No more Kit or Dani. No more 'fuck you Maggie.' Probably no more 'fuck you' ever. Nergal will probably show up in some sort of wanker's cape. I bet he never called Batman squire, never tricked the Triumvirate of Hell, was never in Mucous Membrane.

John has now never spent time being homeless, no longer makes his money by ripping off rich wankers. Never shagged a lesbian. Hasn't told Merlin what a tosser he was, never made a deal with God, hasn't slugged a Santa in the street. Hasn't fucked a dog on the Internet, doesn't shove all his bad bits in Hell, hasn't fucked a succubus. Future writers will probably forget that John nicked the Testament of the Niphelim, shot the man who murdered his father, then forgave his father and left him to Hell. Probably has never been to the Vatican, or cut off his own thumb.

I don't approve of all of it, and some of it was shite, but there's a richness to the character that is being swept away. All these stories never happened to the new Constantine. Looking back reminds me of how much I REALLY have enjoyed all the very good bits Hellblazer had to offer, and how much I like the Sweary British Mage. How iconic he has become.

Time to reread it from the beginning, I think.

HB214.jpg

Worst, no more Chas driving him and coming to his rescue, his missus (Renee) running her fat gob about "Stay away from that lunatic even though I let him run a train through me a few times before we got together!", Clarice, Chalice, Watford-WATFORD!!

All valid arguments, sure.

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm horribly disappointed at the cancellation to allow the new kiddie friendly John wholesale admittance to the DCU.

I'm not beating the drum for Venedett's new version, I'm just going to not dismiss it before I've had a look, that's all.

As far as "no more Newcastle, no more Ravenscar etc etc" goes, rebooting his entire history and wiping out all that has gone before is a stupid move. I doubt you'll get any Hellblazer fan to say otherwise.

However, it hardly makes him unique in the new DC52, and it doesn't make it a cast-iron guarantee that the new book will be awful*.

Highly likely, certainly, but not cast-iron.

*that said, have any of the New 52 titles that rebooted a character's whole continuity actually turned out any good? I'm only reading some Bat-titles and Animal Man which have retained much of what went before, and Green Arrow which is admittedly awful but I'm holding out high hopes for Jeff Lemire's run.

It sounds like the description to a 1980s sit-com.

John will eventually learn to trust and love again.

He's going to make it after all!

Hell, you know what would be awesome? If John's long lost cousin Balki immigrates to America and moves in with tough, cynical, but with a heart of gold "Uncle Johnny".

The rain and thunder, the wind and rain....nothing's gonna stop him now. It's his life, his dreams.

Hahahahaha post of the day!!!!

Action Comics (under Morrison) is pretty good, but it's really using established continuity, just re-doing it. It doesn't go very far from the core concepts.

Unlike turning John into some sort of poseur for an origin story.

The description doesn't sound horrible, but I'm afraid that's what DC thinks they're doing with John in Justice League Dark also. It's sort of a fall-back description of John, regardless of how he's actually presented.

Until I see it on the printed page, I'll expect that the presentation won't match up in any way with the press releases.

Read:Press Release.

See:How it actually works in the comic book:

"Nick Necro, for practicing the Dark Arts of Necromancy (your name really should have given that away before to me), and for letting me down when you were my hero, you are under arrest."

Oh, and John doesn't need Chas anymore....he's got Deadman!

The series finds Constantine having settled in New York City as a way of separating himself from his roots.

The yankification of John C continues.

That said, Veneditti does say this:

Constantine is a lot of things, but he isn’t a hero by anyone’s standards, least of all his own.

He’s still a bit of a conman and a double-dealer. He’s gruff, he likes his whisky and cigarettes, and he absolutely will do whatever he has to do to achieve his desired end.

If you’re one of the uninitiated and you don’t dabble in the dark arts, you probably don’t have much to fear from Constantine. He’s not interested in tormenting the blissfully unaware. But if you’ve decided to swim in his waters, then all bets are off. He’ll show you no mercy.

There's nothing in that I find objectionable, but it's all in the execution.

other than it's the generic "so who's this Constanteen guy?" intro they print on all the propaganda, I mean PR.

This'll be fucking awful. I'll bet it's 1 and done for any HB fans who give it a go. 1 & done.

Final nail - Venditti says he loves Justice League Darkness. Tells me all I need to know for 1 & done.