Rogan

Constantine : The Interviews

He'll get fired and then blacklisted by DiDio.

If he can't even say, "There might have been some initial problems with Justice League Dark's version of John Constantine that will be ironed out as Constantine progresses" in an internet interview, how much leeway will editors give an author on one of their comic book series? Continuity is always a big deal with corporate superhero comics, so DC will probably want to gear up Justice League Dark and Constantine, so that fans won't be confused when they buy the spin-off, check out cross-overs, etc.

I'd assume that was DC's biggest motivation in getting John Constantine back into the DCU and out of Vertigo. They don't want to confuse potential new fans, as DC is the priority, because DC books are going to get more attention and sales than Vertigo books.

There's really a lack of trust in their fans by the comic companies.

"If he reads Justice League Dark and likes John Constantine, and then reads Hellblazer, his mind might explode. Our fans will just never be able to handle figuring out that there are two books with the same character, and that it doesn't use the same continuity."

"Well, we could always bring in the alternate Earth theory, and say that Hellblazer is taking place on Earth-3127."

"No. We'd eventually need a new Crisis to deal with all the continuity issues and confusion. Better to just merge it all into one universe and be done with it, so we don't have to worry about it in a few more years."

D'you think we might see Papa MidNEWte in NY?

Nah, in line with the new youthful JC, Papa Midnight has retired and passed the mantle onto the new Midnight Son.

I don't know about this. On the one hand, I feel that it is good to keep an open mind and I am sure when Hellblazer launched back in the 80's people were saying "Who is this asshole?" but it went for 300 issues. And it seemed to be the series that kept the pulse of Vertigo alive. Now weather or not this new Constantine will be good or bad who is to say. For all we know it might actually be better than Milligans run and could be up there with the better story arcs.

Then again it could shit in a half with how he won't be able to swear and is supposedly running from his problems and will likely start out in his 30's.

I figure if you lower your expectations, you're more likely to not be disappointed. It's how I live my life...that, and a bottle of pills...oh, and a cat!

It could be good, true.

I doubt people were saying that about Hellblazer though, considering that John Constantine was getting rather popular in the pages of Swamp Thing, fans wanted to know more about the Mysterious JC (as opposed to the Phantom Stranger). And, then, Delano actually wrote a better version of John than Alan Moore had been writing.

With Nu-John (not to be confused with New Age John), you have a shitty character who's origin is that he's a poseur (seriously!), and who the teenyboppers think is "like the coolest thing since that last boy band I forgot!". Now, Vendetti may indeed write a better version of John than we've seen from Milligan and Lemire, but that's hardly the same as saying, "Jamie Delano actually improved upon an Alan Moore character". Lowered expectations, once again.

On Papa Midnite, the new look they gave him a 'few' years ago probably fits in perfectly with Constantine....

l.jpg

I never did enjoy the mini for some reason. Can't...figure out...why?...

i recently read it and didn't care for it one bit. it was an obvious movie tie-in and i've never really enjoyed tie-ins of any sort except for video games, briefly.

Demonchas, your "doctor who reviews" url cracks me up because it looks like "Doctor whore views."

SIMON BISLEY LAYS "HELLBLAZER" TO REST

"I don't know if it'd be the same thing. I mean, of course I would do it, but I don't know if it'd be the same thing. It'd feel strange, indeed, doing Constantine in that world. It'd feel surreal. All the guts would have to come out of him.

It'd be amusing to see him wind up with all these superheroes while he's all gnarly and scarred and carrying around a bottle of whiskey. If he was darker and practicing magic on his own, that could work, but a cleaned-up version wouldn't work. He's not Doctor Strange, is he? He has to be the mysterious Englishmen on the corner by himself, having a drink muttering to himself. A guy who has to sober up and get his shit together. A misfit among misfits. I'm very interested to see how they portray him, very interested."

• Upvote 1

i recently read it and didn't care for it one bit. it was an obvious movie tie-in and i've never really enjoyed tie-ins of any sort except for video games, briefly.

Demonchas, your "doctor who reviews" url cracks me up because it looks like "Doctor whore views."

Heh..It does :laugh:

It also says "Sarah Jan reviews"- you might want to change that!

Back on topic, I'm really quite excited about this new Constantine/ Constanteen/ Heckblazer series, I've decided. I know all the smart money is on it being utterly bloody awful- but I'm old enough to remember Hellblazer #1 coming out and the smart money there (at least among my Swamp Thing reding friends) was that it would be bloody awful too. I'm a 43 year old man and in the last year my favourite comic has become Wonder Woman... at this point I'd say all bets are off.

SBT

• Upvote 1

It also says "Sarah Jan reviews"- you might want to change that!

Back on topic, I'm really quite excited about this new Constantine/ Constanteen/ Heckblazer series, I've decided. I know all the smart money is on it being utterly bloody awful- but I'm old enough to remember Hellblazer #1 coming out and the smart money there (at least among my Swamp Thing reding friends) was that it would be bloody awful too. I'm a 43 year old man and in the last year my favourite comic has become Wonder Woman... at this point I'd say all bets are off.

SBT

Fixed

SBT, while I totally disagree with your view on the comic, your coining of the term "Heckblazer" is brilliant. I am going to steal it as I refer to it elsewhere, though you own it here.

• Upvote 1

SBT, while I totally disagree with your view on the comic, your coining of the term "Heckblazer" is brilliant. I am going to steal it as I refer to it elsewhere, though you own it here.

I'm afraid while I wish "Heckblazer" were mine, I lifted it from elsewhere- in fact, I'm pretty sure it was from this forum! As for disagreeing about the comic- remember I've not read Hellblazer in years, so this last year of stories (earliest I have is #289) has involved me coming back to an old friend. My critical faculties may be a bit off, I admit, due to my excitement. To be honest, I'm just enjoying that John seems to have aged in real time, has a wife and there *have been changes/ developments*. As a 2000AD reader for 36 years I'm used to that concept, but not to finding it outside the pages of Tharg's mighty organ.

As it goes, I'm rereading the series from the start- just coming to the end of the first year. I have the intention of eBaying as I go to fill in gaps and reading the whole 300 issue run in order (I have most of the first 130 or so) so by the time I come to the current issues, I may have a different opinion!

SBT

Blimey !

I enjoyed Spaceman a lot more than 100 Bullets (or Azz's Heckblazer run). Maybe the ending's still a little weak, but there's some really nice worldbuilding there.

• Upvote 2

The series finds Constantine having settled in New York City as a way of separating himself from his roots. He doesn’t trust himself to be around the people and places he cares about because he has a tendency to bring death— or worse —to their door. So now he’s in America, and he’s trying to go it alone. Invariably, though, he’ll start to form new relationships, and how he handles that will be a major underpinning of the series.

• Upvote 2

Well, at least that'll make a change from having a lifelong friend he hasn't seen for a few years and we've never heard a word about suddenly getting retconned into existence every six months or so...