JohnMcMahon

Constantine #1

CONSTANTINE #1

Written by ROBERT VENDITTI

Art by RENATO GUEDES

Cover by JUAN JOSE RYP

1:25 Variant cover by RENATO GUEDES

On sale MARCH 13 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.

• The star of JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK is unleashed in his all-new ongoing series!

• Liar, cheater, manipulator…John Constantine is all of these, and yet he uses these skills and more to protect the world from the darkest corners of the DC Universe.

• What Constantine learns in this first issue will shake the very foundations of the New 52…and only he knows how to deal with it!

CONST_Cv1_var.jpg

"Liar, cheater, manipulator…John Constantine is all of these, and yet he uses these skills and more to protect the world from the darkest corners of the DC Universe."

Damn, it keeps getting worse.

• Upvote 2

At the risk if playing devil's advocate, he IS a liar, a cheater and a manipulator, and he HAS used these skills to protect the world from the darkest corners of the Vertigo Universe.

So: not an inaccurate blurb, but sounds as if they're trying to say something to keep old-time readers onside.

Am I alone in saying I'm not going to judge till I've read it? Anyone else going to at least give it a go?

And it is a nice picture (apart from the socks)

You beat me to the punch. I'm going to say this without worrying about being offensive, but those are some gay socks! I have lots of gay friends, but only the weirdest ones of them would wear socks like those. Are they sheer like panty hose are?

• Upvote 1

I'm torn by that cover. It's not a bad picture, at all. But, the way DC's covers are all so generic and uniform is getting really annoying.

So, I'm torn. Nice picture, but the style is like something trying to appeal to teens. If this had been Bradstreet (someone like that) drawing that same exact picture though, it'd be a nice cover.

It looks like that's the variant cover.

I am also going to give it a go before complaining about how shit it will be.

Do those socks mean DCU Constantine is gay? Quick, to the Blackmanxxxphone!

• Upvote 1

I also noticed the socks, before deciding that the slip-on shoes were even worse. THIS CHARACTER HAS BEEN DESTROYED FOR ME FOREVER.

Do those socks mean DCU Constantine is gay? Quick, to the Blackmanxxxphone!

he's bicycle curious.

• Upvote 1

I reckon if you'd asked any of the miserable sods here to take a stab at doing up a parody solit for Constantine that you'd have ended up with something strikingly similar to what DC have actually gone with.

If the series gets some positive word of mouth then I'll give the first trade a go.

• Upvote 1

Disturbs me a bit that he slightly resembles Gareth Southgate but maybe that's just me.

I think I'm going to skip - I don't think I can see past any story where he interacts with people who can fly or throw cars around... I suppose unless that revolves around some sort of paranormal/demonic power - which does sound a bit pathetic when I say it like that. Still I need a bit a gritty realism and at least one political attack on the Tories every arc.

Mind you last time I skipped was when I was pissed off that Jamie Delano was being replaced by Garth Ennis, which shows how much I know.

I can't say that was the wrong decision.

To be fair, Constantine was messing around with non-demonic powered guys who can throw cars back in the pages of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing.

Of course DC had a bit of class back in those days, instead of trying to relive their "glory days" of the early-1990s.

To be fair, Constantine was messing around with non-demonic powered guys who can throw cars back in the pages of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing.

True... but there always felt something slightly pagan about the whole Swamp Thing thing and it did have a bit of class :icon_wink:

I'm being a bit unfair really - Robert Venditti does sound like a really good writer, I just can't see them being able to develop the character or stories enough (for me) within the restrictions that are inherent with the rebranding. I hope they succeed though, the politics of the situation are not Vendetti or Guede's fault and it's a brilliant opportunity for them.

That's the big Justice League event, isn't it? Not good.

I expect very little from Constantine, as far as characterization or back-story for the character. DC seems interested in catering to the superhero audience and their wants, which means a lot of action and adventures, with little quiet time.

I wouldn't even expect to see references to John's family, or any of that. The closest we'll probably get is his "convoluted" love/hate relationship with Zatanna.

That makes it all the more annoying that they had to ret-con John's whole origin.

It would have been simple to leave it ambiguous. Is it the same John or not? No one needed to really know. I was prepared to think that this was John Constantine picking up before the character went to Vertigo. But, Nick Necro ruined all that for everyone. Thanks a lot, Nick Necro.

Of course, I could be wrong, and John's back-story may be labouriously laid out, to our eternal chagrin.

Flashback....

"More milk and cookies, little Johnny?"

"No thanks, dad. Can we go play ball after I finish my homework?"

"Sure, son. Anything to make up for what happened with your mother...."

"Oh, don't worry, dad. She's not that angry you forgot to pick her up at the airport over the weekend. Silly! Where is she anyway?"

"At the mall with your sister. She should be home any minute."

"Great! Let's wait for sis to come home, and she can play too!"

"Great idea, son. I love you so much. I hope me and your mother never fight again."

"Since I have the two most perfect parents in the world, I should think not!"

"Oh, Johnny...."

Something about John fleeing the country just because he is a danger to his friends. It just doesn't seem like something he would do. Though I will give this new series a shot if he doesn't bring in any super heroes or any prominent DC characters. Otherwise it's going to get silly if John is in trouble and he just calls Deadman or Etrigan to back him up.

I'll be buying it, just as i do Hellblazer, but i was pretty gutted, learned of the Hellblazer cancellation from Jay(nova) on facebook. Bastards.

I'm putting my guess in that it fails Hellblazer comes back as a nice Vol.2 :-).

With a million Batman and Spider-Man books on the market (which is not a bad thing per se, I love Spidey even if I hate all Batman not by Moench and Jones), I don't see why we can't have both. Why can't we have both Hellblazer and Constantine? While Hellblazer may not sell in the numbers that the first few Constantines no doubt will, it obviously shifts trades, or they wouldn't keep bringing them out (and getting multiple copies on the shelves of both of the two bookshops in my pissy little English seaside town). If DC want to open John up to the wider audience, with a view to somehow getting him into videogames and movies, why can't we have this AND Hellblazer?

SBT

I think a lot of it comes down to DC's not having much respect for their audience. I think that they believe that if they publish both Constantine and Hellblazer, that it will end up confusing new readers. They'll pick up an issue of Constantine and decide to try Hellblazer, and get confused, because it's not the same version of John Constantine, and then stop reading books with John Constantine, "because it's too confusing". I really believe that's the mentality of people at DC.

They publish multiple monthly Batman and Spider Man titles, but they're all using the same continuity.

Since DC expects to get more profit from Constantine, Hellblazer had to go.

Plus, I think DC is re-organizing Vertigo at this time, and they want it to be exclusively creator owned books, so the last of the "old guard" got the axe.

• Upvote 1

I still think the readers will jump off quick as they jumped on and after a year or so, there will be about the same number of readers, or at the most, less than JLD.

I'm sure it will lose readers quickly. I don't really know about an estimate, but a lot of people will jump on the first couple of issues and then quickly jump off. I'm not sure if the book will make as sales many as Justice League Dark #1. I highly doubt that actually. It was the start of the "New 52" push, and people were attracted to the "Justice League" moniker.

I think it will sell better than Hellblazer.

What we really need to look at is that DC has a cut-off point for their comics now. If a book falls below the sales level, then they cut the book, and replace it.

We may see a John Constantine-less world by 2014.