JohnMcMahon

Constantine #1

Umm...#1 issue. EBay sellers jump on that, hoping to get a quick turnaround. Plus, DC Comics versus Vertigo Comics. Comic fans love the superhero shared universe, and care much less about any other books. Some people are reaching out and trying some different things nowadays compared to how it was about a decade ago, but still, outside Walking Dead (which has a TV show) Image books aren't selling anywhere like the Big Two.

oops, forgot to add the sarcasm tags to my post. you can't see my eyes and are forced to discern the demeanor in which I post from my attrocious spelling and grammar. that's not fair to anyone! apologies.

Marc-Oliver Frisch shares his thoughts on the order figures for (what should've been) Nick Necro #1....

This is a good increase for John Constantine’s first post-Vertigo outing, certainly. And now things become rather complicated.

1) Constantine #1 was promoted with a 1:25 variant-cover edition, and the same applies to subsequent issues through #4. This is likely boosting the numbers to some extent.

2) When the relaunch was solicited, it listed Robert Venditti (I told you to keep him in mind) as the writer, but ended up being written by someone else entirely, namely Jeff Lemire and Ray Fawkes. (Keep Jeff Lemire and Ray Fawkes in mind. They will be important in another round of Freelance Talent Musical Chairs shortly.) Because, according to Editorperson Bob Harras, “Robert [Venditti] and Dan [DiDio] and I spoke, and Constantine was, for him [Venditti or DiDio?], one book too many. It was the one thing that we had to go, ‘If we want you to focus on this one project, maybe we should make a change on Constantine.’”

Which sounds totally like it was a decision that Robert and Dan and Bob all simultaneously felt very strongly in their heads they had to make in the creative churn internally and externally and editorially, and that could not possibly have been decided at a better temporal moment in time by any peoplepersons with heads, in their heads. So the decision-making in the heads occurred in a decidedly smooth-like manner there, temporally speaking.

3) Jeff Lemire (of the Him That Sells Many Books Lemires; I told you to keep in mind in the previous paragraph) will only be around as a co-writer through issue #4, it was such a dream assignment for him.

4) The book name-checks the upcoming “Trinity War” crossover in the advertising copy for issue #5.

So, on balance, I suppose the vital question for DC’s strategical planning is, will Jeff Lemire fans rush in to buy Constantine swiftly enough to fail to perceive the fact that Jeff Lemire is already gone again? And if so, will the upcoming crossover cause enough mental intertia in their peopleheads to not care when they find out, and keep buying the book, anyway?

Stay tuned.

Read it out loud and you will have, just not first. "I am second." (meaning you of course, not me. I'm way in the back because I got lost) :laugh::hattip:

Why does everyone (or, I guess this particular guy) think Jeff Lemire's name sells books? I don't think Essex County was heating up the sales charts, nor was Sweettooth. It's not like he's Gaiman or Morrison.

Is this some sort of inside-joke?

Robert Vendetti puts his foot down and says one comic book is more than enough. When tasked between writing the Demon or DC's hottest new title, Constanecro, Venditti chooses a low tier comic that will probably be canceled in DC's next wave of cuts.

• Upvote 1

In this particular instance the selling books thing is relative but he brought the numbers (and quality) on Animal Man and numbers (no judgement made) on the second year of JLD.

Justice League Dark's readership went up after Milligan left?

I wish they had tried that with Hellblazer.

• Upvote 3