JohnMcMahon

Constantine #1

I just meant JLD would be the limit as far as the most readers it will get.

• Upvote 1

I'm going to check it out, but am not holding my breath in expectations of great stuff.

I will check it out to see how this new series turns out. Hopefully it will be better than Milligans run.

I am conflicted.

I would love to see Jeff Lemire writing a Hellblazer or a Gemma Constantine miniseries, but I have read Justice League Dark.

This is definitely agreatbigfuckup by Didio.

• Upvote 1

OK, now someone needs to interview Venditti and compare his exit and entrance interviews for their in-/&/or consistencies. See how similar it is to his "this is going to be the John you dream about. SO much cooler than beer yadda yadda" company line he had gong early on.

Of whom does Didio have pictures with him/her having sex with a dog that he used to get this job? It's so very clear he has no experience doing anything but making a mess of things with a clueless unawareness not seen since Jerry Lewis made movies.

Lemire is intriguing, and it looks liek it has a lovely Juan Jose Ryp cover...but not sure I could be on board.

Good point, well made.

Although I reckon Nick Necro is going to turn out to be Ellie, enacting a particularly nasty revenge on our bisexual hero.

....and John McMahon brings me back to reality with a slap to the forehead. Thanks John, I needed that.

Kind of sucks for the new guy, he's fired before his run even starts.

It's like showing up to your first day on the job and then your boss immediately tells you that you're fired.

DiDio:"Wait. Who are you? You don't work here."

Venditti:"Yeah. You hired me to write the new Constantine comic."

DiDio:"Constantine? I never approved of any Constantine book. I canceled that Hellblazer thing. Hold on, let me talk to my secretary."

(10 minutes later....)

"Oh, yeah., I guess I was drunk or something when I greenlighted another Hellblazer thing. Well, I don't want you writing it, whoever you are. I'm just going to let Lemire write it, since he's setting the comic world on fire with his groundbreaking Justice League Dark series."

Lemire:"Ah gee. I thought things were bad enough when you rewrote my last Justice League Dark script."

DiDio:"You ain't seen nothing yet Lemire!"

• Upvote 3

I don't think he was fired because he has another project for DC that he is working on that takes precedence. That's all.

I don't think he was fired because he has another project for DC that he is working on that takes precedence. That's all.

That's just DCs way of saying "We wish him well in future endeavors..."

• Upvote 1

It doesn't seem like good news for him though.. It's like being hyped up as the new guy with great ideas, and then being instantly demoted to the mail room.

It also seems like it's probably going to push the title back a month or two. What with how it's going to need a complete overhaul.

Venditti has been the writer on Demon Knights for three months already (1000 sales down per month) and it would be really embarrasing to have to pull him from that title ... oh.

Ray Fawkes has three scripts in the bag already, that bodes well. I bet they just tippexed out the JLDoom

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2013/01/14/jeff-lemire-talks-constantine

He still has a fail rate of less than a dozen JLD comics versus Frankie Shade, Sweet Tooth, Essex County, Underwater Welder, The Nobody and more importantly, Animal Man. If it's not a mainstream team book and if this Fawkes guy is not an albatross, I have to remain positive about his Constantine until further notice.

But, those JLD comics were really bad (issue #0!), and they featured that Johnny Con-stan-teen kid...so that's got to bode poor, even against the genius mind that brought the world Essex County (the comic based on, not the county in, Ontario).

Turns out that DC didn't actually tell the guy he was fired from the title. He found out from the previews pages. Mark Waid pretty much mentions this on his twitter.

If that's true, that's just....bizarre.

I can only imagine that Venditti snuck some Hellblazer continuity into the book by mistake and pissed off DC, who want their new super cool New 52 Constantine to be the only version anyone remembers.

(Meanwhile, in the HQs of Dan DiDio situated at the center of the Earth)

"Newcastle? Newcastle never happened! John was turned into a magician by Nick Necro's necro-powers! Get me a new writer now!"

"But, Mr. DiDio...."

"I told you to call me Your Infernal Majesty from now on! Grrr!"

"Uhh....Yes, Your Infernal Majesty....We already have a writer, we can't just fire him...."

"Then don't even tell him. Just get me Lemire!"

(in a cave hidden away from the throneroom of His Infernal Majesty, Lemire sits and trembles)

Imagine if he didn't check out that page. He'd be turning in scripts for months down the line and wondering why he only seemed to be getting a paycheck for Demon Knights!

"What the hell? There seems to be some problem with their accounting department.. I'm only getting paychecks for one title.. I should be getting two..."

This would be like you showing up to work and rather than your boss firing you.. He just looks at you funny because you are showing up on time and "didn't get the memo we didn't send you.".

"We have a bunch of cool stories coming your way, from the ongoing threat of the mysterious CULT OF THE COLD FLAME, to a brand new Sargon the Sorcerer and a horror called THE WITCHBREAKER, Constantine will have his blood-stained hands full. I hope you come a long for the ride."

I've just realized the cult of the Cold Flame is the one from Gaiman's Books of Magic. I really hate how in the recent issues of JLD, they have attempted to ground the magic, with the books being described as "machines". I liked (loved) the dreamy, fantastical approach of Gaiman.