JohnMcMahon

Constantine #1

Turns out that DC didn't actually tell the guy he was fired from the title. He found out from the previews pages. Mark Waid pretty much mentions this on his twitter.

Cold blooded, much?

The Cult of the Cold Flame has become generic, just like most of the "New 52" characters.

I didn't realize it was the same group from Gaiman's Books of Magic either, since you could really insert any random "sinister mystical organization" into the picture, and it'd serve the same purpose.

Oh, the days of the Imagination behind a book like Gaiman's Books of Magic are long behind us now, I'd say.

"We have a bunch of cool stories coming your way, from the ongoing threat of the mysterious CULT OF THE COLD FLAME, to a brand new Sargon the Sorcerer and a horror called THE WITCHBREAKER, Constantine will have his blood-stained hands full. I hope you come a long for the ride."

59Vt6.gif

He still has a fail rate of less than a dozen JLD comics versus Frankie Shade, Sweet Tooth, Essex County, Underwater Welder, The Nobody and more importantly, Animal Man. If it's not a mainstream team book and if this Fawkes guy is not an albatross, I have to remain positive about his Constantine until further notice.

Ditto. Admittedly, the omens do not seem good, and I heard Duncan's horses did turn and eat themselves or something. But what's the point in getting all grumpy about it before I've even seen it? I'll have plenty of time to think it's shit after it's out.

Altogether now.... "I DO believe in Lemire, I DO, I DO!"

• Upvote 2

My Mucous Membrane mp3 just disappeared. Faded from view as I looked at it. Seems that band never existed now. DC John has won out.

• Upvote 2

I read the guys twitter page last night and it was depressing how "happy for his friends" he was. It was like he didn't even want to mention HOW he got the news that he was booted from the title. He had that fake happy reaction you get, when you run into an Ex and find out just how better their life is.. "wow! That's just great! LOL!!"

There are times when I'm actually glad that I can't get a gig writing comics...

There are times when I'm actually glad that I can't get a gig writing comics...

According to Mark Waid ( I am kind of going to trust his word, because he was pretty close to being the EIC of DC during 52 and because his years in the business.) he's pretty much said that DC tends to treat their freelance writers like shit. Scott Snyder and his bunch got lucky when they were put on headliners. But if you are "New blood." then it's like they could easily walk all over you and laugh at your ideas.

The guy who was going to replace Gail Simone on Batgirl was at least told by his editor that he was no longer on the book (and that part was confusing as well.)

When I was younger, I entertained the idea of becoming a comics writer... Then I got older and realized I'd never be able to make the deadlines or deal with arsewitted editors barking in my ear all the time.

Ray Fawkes was possibly replacing Gail Simone on Batgirl before that was over-turned last year (by some sort of ironicality).

http://www.bleedingc...f-his-namesake/

The guy that Mark Waid was talking to on twitter is Jim Zubkavich who is off Birds of Prey.

http://www.jimzub.com/?p=2253

Waid does not name Venditti on twitter, Wolfy, are you sure that's who was fired by Previews solicitation?

..."... I'm just going to let Lemire write it, since he's setting the comic world on fire with his groundbreaking Justice League Dark series."
  • Upvote 1

..."... I'm just going to let Lemire write it, since he's setting the comic world on fire with his groundbreaking Justice League Dark series."

The Cult of the Cold Flame has become generic, just like most of the "New 52" characters.

I didn't realize it was the same group from Gaiman's Books of Magic either, since you could really insert any random "sinister mystical organization" into the picture, and it'd serve the same purpose.

Oh, the days of the Imagination behind a book like Gaiman's Books of Magic are long behind us now, I'd say.

By the way, when did the Books of Magic become actual books?

I haven't read the Books of Magic ongoing, but in Books of Magic: Life during Wartime, the books were disguised as Tim's imaginary friends.

Oh, even that sounds really bad. I'm glad I stopped reading Life During Wartime after the first story-arc.

Apparently some people take things too literally. The books in question were the actual comic books that we were reading, which served as a tour guide to magic in the DC Universe (and later within the Tim Hunter universe). There weren't supposed to be literal Books of Magic somewhere out there.

I personally enjoyed Life During Wartime, but I never understood the point of making "The Books of Magic" real objects in the story. I strongly dislike Lemire's approach, it takes away all the... magic.

• Upvote 1

Life During Wartime's one of the very few series in original comic form that I took to my new place when I moved a few years ago, the covers alone were worth it to be fair.

• Upvote 2

I doubt that the new blood thing is going to make much of a difference in this case, Wolvy: if they're treating Mark Waid like that, how can they manage to treat the n00bs any worse? That'd involve a lot more creativity on the editorial part than was put into the last two relaunches.

Oh, even that sounds really bad. I'm glad I stopped reading Life During Wartime after the first story-arc.

Apparently some people take things too literally. The books in question were the actual comic books that we were reading, which served as a tour guide to magic in the DC Universe (and later within the Tim Hunter universe). There weren't supposed to be literal Books of Magic somewhere out there.

I don't have them to hand, but didn't the Grant Morrisson Zatanna series from Seven Soldiers do a bait and switch by having Zee think that her father had left a set of physical books hidden somewhere in magickal hyperspace until he appeared at the end to let her know that she was his last bequest to humanity, and the books were just a metaphor for his greatest work?

Yeah, I seem to remember something like that, but was that supposed to be the ubiquitous Books of Magic?

I don't remember there being any relevance to the Tim Hunter mythos in Morrison's story though.

No idea if it was or not, but it'd be easy to read it that way if you wanted to.

Well, now we know that Zatanna would be finding some nifty books titled Books of Magic somewhere, if she took the time to look and didn't listen to her father.