JohnMcMahon

Constantine #1

DC has sent over a preview of the New 52 Hellblazer relaunch, renamed Constantine, possibly after the Keanu Reeves film (which was surprisingly decent)

I'm out.

• Upvote 2

That splash reveal is rubbish.

Page 3 : There's this guy called Sargon....

Page 4 : ....only now he's a she!!!

There's no bloody dramatic impact when you've just, quite literally, told me about the character ffs.

That really does look terrible. Maybe I won't be giving this a test run after all - is it safe to judge a comic on 3 pages?

• Upvote 1

That really does look terrible. Maybe I won't be giving this a test run after all - is it safe to judge a comic on 3 pages?

Oh yeah. I do it all the time. Especially with books that are all ready hyped with such ....crap, before they even hit the shelf.

Go on. You'll feel better.

Also, seeing that preview, I can tell that they will be meeting many of my expectations. So, a round of applause for you DC.

• Upvote 1

What is John doing in the second page's first panel?

I have no idea, now that you mention it. That just adds to the bad signs.

His cigarette is even floating in the air, or something, in that panel. ?

I'll definitely read issue #1 now, just to get angry at how stupid this is. I can almost guarantee I won't be back for issue #2.

It's another issue of Justice League Dark, except without all the other annoying characters, just featuring the annoying version of John Constantine.

I can't believe there isn't a line saying, "Sargon? You're a woman now? But, you used to be a man, didn't you?"

I have no idea, now that you mention it. That just adds to the bad signs.

His cigarette is even floating in the air, or something, in that panel. ?

Apropos of nothing, there's no sign of a cigarette in those four pages - Constantine is smashing a candlestick off...something...in that second page, it looks like it's breaking off the flame burning in the fireplace but I suspect it's meant to be breaking off the mantelpiece.

This book was doomed from the start. The moment they started hyping up the new writer for like 2 months and then a month before his run starts, they boot him from the book and get somebody else.. That's just not a good sign at all. Specially with how comics tend to work. It takes like a month to get the script in, then the editors have to approve it, then it get's sent to the artist (who takes however much time they need), then it get's sent to everybody else and then finally to the printers. So the new guy was pretty much fired during the entire time they were hyping him up. Which is not a good sign.

I don't give two shits if his and their reasoning was "He had too much on his plate, we wanted to take the load off.". That's just him and them trying not to bad mouth each other.. It's essentially saying you were booted for "Creative Differences.".

• Upvote 1

This book was doomed from the start. The moment they started hyping up the new writer for like 2 months and then a month before his run starts, they boot him from the book and get somebody else.. That's just not a good sign at all. Specially with how comics tend to work. It takes like a month to get the script in, then the editors have to approve it, then it get's sent to the artist (who takes however much time they need), then it get's sent to everybody else and then finally to the printers. So the new guy was pretty much fired during the entire time they were hyping him up. Which is not a good sign.

I don't give two shits if his and their reasoning was "He had too much on his plate, we wanted to take the load off.". That's just him and them trying not to bad mouth each other.. It's essentially saying you were booted for "Creative Differences.".

FUCKING A!

That splash reveal is rubbish.

Page 3 : There's this guy called Sargon....

Page 4 : ....only now he's a she!!!

There's no bloody dramatic impact when you've just, quite literally, told me about the character ffs.

Come back, Diggle's Swamp Thing 6-parter! It's forgiven.

wow.

As you can see below, where the Vertigo Hellblazer tended to stay in its own sandbox, this one starts out immediately integrating itself with the DCU.

fuck you.

Official PR and some pages.

You may already know this mischievous Brit from the pages of JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK or Vertigo’s acclaimed HELLBLAZER series, but come this spring, you’re going to see John Constantine in a dark, gritty, and exciting all-new light.

Hitting stands on March 13, CONSTANTINE #1 kicks off an ongoing series starring John Constantine within the ever-expanding DC COMICS-THE NEW 52. From the co-writers of JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK, Jeff Lemire and Ray Fawkes, and fan-favorite artist Renato Guedes, CONSTANTINE shines a spotlight on the notoriously flawed antihero as he works to protect the world from the darkest corners of the DC Universe.

“CONTANTINE is turning into the window through which readers can see the dirtiest side of superpowers in the DC Universe, the nasty magic side,” Fawkes
about the series.

“John has a very specific fight he’s actually involved in in this series,” Fawkes
. “The first issue will reveal what it is he’s after. But he’s the instigator in a lot of the stories that are going to happen. In this book, he’s the one looking for the trouble. Sooner or later trouble starts to find him because of all the things he’s doing … John is not your typical hero-type character. He has a lot of vices. You’ll see him indulging in just about all of them. I mean sort of the only thing I can’t do with him in this title is swearing directly. In the book, he drinks, he smokes, he does a lot of other dirty things.”

why do they keep hiring writers who have no idea how to write the main character?

• Upvote 1