Sign in to follow this  
Master Pernath

Snyder's Batman

I, honestly, gave up on the Court of Owls story-arc. I really couldn't stand seeing Batman fighting owls for an entire year. I don't think I figured out who was the main villain, I think I gave up beforehand.

Having said that, I did find it hilarious when Joker said something to the same effect during the current story-arc. Something about, "You've let yourself get weak. It took everything you had to defeat some owls". Letting the villain critique the comic isn't always the best option...but it made me laugh, because I was thinking the same thing.

A Death in the Family has been ok so far. It's a bit over-the-top, but it makes sense too. I enjoyed the Joker's motivation. The references to earlier Batman vs. Joker battles has also been working well for me.

Overall, I like Synder's Batman, although I don't love it.

Right now, I prefer it to what Morrison is doing. Morrison's take on Batman was refreshing at first, but then I started to miss the "old Batman".

For me, the best Snyder-penned Batman tale is definitely The Black Mirror, back when Dick was Batman. His Nu52 run has left me cold. I liked the first six issues a lot, the Night of the Owls crossover was ok (I didn't read any tie-in but the Batman issues were fun). I rather enjoyed the idea of the Court (owls being natural predators of bats), but I didn't enjoy the reveal.

I still don't understand why did they took the Joker's face off. Snyder referred to the story as his own "Arkham Asylum" or "Killing Joke" so I had much higher expectations.

Loved the 1st arc, but Court of Owls was a little 'meh' there towards the end.

Liked the 1st Joker issue, the second one not so much so this third one better grab me just so.

Snyder does write a great Batman. But yeah, Court of Owls went a bit too long. The whole Joker getting his face ripped off was done in Detective Comics (right?) so he's working with a Joker already established. The story has been good so far with an air of complete chaos, not knowing what's around the corner

I love how he's made Gotham almost a supporting character.

I agree, Snyder + Jock and Francavilla on Richard Grayson-Batman was nothing short of brilliant & remains one of my favorite things in recent years. In a perfect world, this would be the Batman book on the stands.

I agree, Snyder + Jock and Francavilla on Richard Grayson-Batman was nothing short of brilliant & remains one of my favorite things in recent years. In a perfect world, this would be the Batman book on the stands.

Which one is that?

When they were on Detective Comics pre- Return of Bruce Wayne/Flashpoint/New 52. I still want Grayson as Batman with Damien as Robin. There's something cool about the Sons of the Bat carrying on.

for completeness sake

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Black-Mirror-Scott-Snyder/dp/140123206X

It's after the return of Bruce, there was a brief time when Dick was Gotham's Batman and Bruce was simultaneously the international Batman.

The Black Mirror was my favorite Batman story in years, it's also a great arc for Commissioner Gordon

(SPOILER: But what do you guys think of the new Owl-Man being Bruce's lost brother? I felt that Snyder was trying to pull out a Morrison- kind of twist, using pre-Crisis continuity.)

I don't belive it's true.

I think the Court put that idea in his brain.

I thought it wa sa lame "twist" really.

I would've liked the story more had that been the case, as well. It still went too long. I think I dropped it at the point where it was revealed that the Court wasn't what it seemed, and that really took my interest away. Giving it a mysterious and supernatural air would have worked so much better.

I had no idea what the deal was with the "Joker without a face" either. I just went with it. I figured Snyder was forced into using it, as there was no explanation, so it must have been a story in a different Bat-book.

As far as being his own "The Killing Joke"....well, he doesn't have to try very hard to reach that level. It wasn't a horrible story, but I found it, probably, Moore's weakest comic work.

I really dig the Killing Joke, I consider it a great Joker story, maybe my favorite. The Joker's face was ripped off in Detective, but I think Snyder said that it was his plan, so I hope he justifies it. There are some details in Death of the Family that I strongly dislike. The Joker attacking Bruce Wayne? I thought it was obvious that he new the identity of Batman, but he wouldn't care, he understood that Batman is the real person and Wayne is just a mask.

Did he attack Bruce Wayne though? He attacked Wayne's butler.

Joker's whole modus operandi here is to bring back his old sparring partner. He thinks that Batman has gotten weak, and blames those in Batman and Wayne's life for taking the obsessiveness away from his Batman career. So, Joker wants to destroy everything in Batman's life, so that he can solely focus on being the Batman again. Joker doesn't feel the current Batman is truly an equal opponent for him.

I might be trying to make excuses for a story-arc that I don't really care about, but there you go....

See, now that I think about it, I'm old and have a bad memory, so it seems like they were acting surprised that Joker knew Batman's secret identity. Did Flashpoint stuff ret-con Joker knowing Batman's secret identity? I don't know.

My favourite Joker story is "Going Sane" by J.M. DeMatteis (from Legends of the Dark Knight).

Big fan of that one too, CC.

But something's just not clicking with this Joker arc.

Batman would know not to touch the Joker with his bare hands. He'd also know before hand who Dylan McDyre was before he even left the house. Dunno...not very detectivish

I consider attacking Alfred as an attack to Bruce Wayne. In my opinion, the Joker wouldn't do that, he keeps the fight strictly with Batman, not the alter-ego.

Going Sane is great story-wise, but I would have liked less cartoony art.

Lou is right about this story. I just read the newest issue, and I'm losing interest in this book again. I'll come on for the first three issues of every Snyder story, and then drop the book again until next story-arc.

There's controversy over whether Joker had, indeed, discovered who Bruce Wayne is; versus Batman making excuses to claim that Joker doesn't know.

Batman seems very much in denial. He acts a lot like Tony Stark would, instead of like a detective.

Batman is sticking to the story that Joker kidnapped Alfred because of the whole Wayne Industries plan to help Gotham, not because it has anything to do with Bruce Wayne being Batman.

if you have been following the arc you'll take notice that Batman and Harley pretty much has mentioned how Joker hasn't been acting like himself.

I have a theory that whom we are dealing with isn't REALLY the Joker and that it's actually James Gordon Jr just wearing his face, and doing all those crimes. What will happen is that the Joker does actually return at the end and kills James Jr because he doesn't like people copying his act.

This would also be a major continuation of his black book storyline from the Detective Comics run.

Just read the last issue, it was ok, I liked the bit about the Joker's eyes. Is it just me, or Capullo's art was sloppier?

Actually, I've been enjoying the backups more than the story itself. I hope that the Riddler arc will be good, can't remember any standout Riddler story since the amazing Dark Knight, Dark City.

Hmm...Yeah, I can't think of any other good Riddler stories, since that and the Neil Gaiman story in Secret Origins. I don't think Riddler has been used very much since the 1980s. I remember that many readers thought he was too Silver Age-y to be used much with the post-Year One Batman.

Really? Riddler has always been one of my favorite Batman villains (mainly because of Milligan's Dark Knight, Dark City). I would have liked to see Morrison's take on the character.

Another detail I really disliked of Batman 15. The Joker ordered a henchman to shoot Batman with a bazooka! The Joker wouldn't do that, he needs Batman, and even if he tried to kill him, it would be in a more personal and sophisticated way.

And the whole bit of Batman denying that the Joker was in the Batcave, come on.