Sign in to follow this  
Master Pernath

Snyder's Batman

I think this has been the best issue so far, as it is the first one to really play on the idea of the Bat-king and his jester. It made me feel the previous issues were unnecessary. I still think it is gross for the sake of being gross.

Nothing to put up there with Going Sane, The Killing Joke or Arkham Asylum.

Yeah, last issue was good and this next one should be a hoot. But I hardly see this as the masterpiece it was touted to be.

Yeah, last issue was good and this next one should be a hoot. But I hardly see this as the masterpiece it was touted to be.

Agreed! I want a satisfying payoff. It's been built so much. What's in the box (silver platter)?!??!

Is it Alfred? Is a nice T-bone steak? Two tickets to paradise?

Gotta be Alfred. Or the real joker and the one torturing Bruce is Alfred. Why? I have no idea. Just to be shocking, perhaps.

Shawn's half-right - it'll be a nice big cut of steak from the Damian's bat-cow.

Haha! Love it. While that does seem a Joker like thing to do, ts be a bit anticlimactic, the major death is......a cow! Although, I suppose the cow going from a pet into tasty protein would help make Bruce a better Batman

I'd absolutely love that. *That* would be an interesting, fun and clever new take on the Joker - he sets up this massive, elaborate megaplot to make Batman believe that he's going to kill his beloved family, and then right when his scheme is approaching its devilish, cataclysmic punchline...he doesn't do anything of the sort. He just serves up a steak. Or nothing. Just a big joke, something he came up with because he thought it would be hilarious to mess with Batman's head.

Instead, we're probably going to get Yet. Another. Tedious. Fucking. Mopefest. about the Joker returning to Gotham more twisted and evil than ever!!! and killing/maiming a beloved member of the supporting cast. An idea which has in one form or another formed the core of almost every significant Joker story of the past twenty years, and which is, to put it mildly, well and truly played-out by now. Surely it must be time for something different, something genuinely unexpected - for all the schtick about how "his madness makes him so unpredictable!" it's striking how repetitive and formulaic his appearances tend to be.

I've only been half-following Snyder's Batman run - I like it a lot, on the whole, although it's not on a par with the stuff he was doing pre-reboot on Detective Comics. He's got a good grasp of the characters, he tells his stories well and Capullo's art is fantastic, but the more issues he writes, though, the less impressed I am, because he seems to be aiming for the same sort of beats with every major story he's come up with so far - he's far too fond of the implausibly elaborate mega-conspiracies and shocking revelations/twists involving previously existing characters. Some more variety would be nice.

In fairness, Snyder's done a good job of writing Batman & overseeing the cross-overs in such a way that you don't have to read all the bits to enjoy it. Each book has been almost entirely self-contained.

I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't really The Joker and was mainly just James Jr, which would explain how he knows so much about the Bat-family and would also tie into Snyders Detective run conclusion. Then again, Snyder mentioned why he didn't have James Jr try to taunt Bruce in Detective. Simply because Bruce would have just punched him in the face and told him to shut the fuck up. So this could be Snyder making it to where James Jr decides to try to get at Batman by becoming his arch enemy.

Then, I have been wrong a very few times before and something could have just happened to the Joker to cause him to go this far with his thinking during the year that he was gone. I don't think Batman is going to mope around though, I figure he will probably become much more of a hard ass and probably tighten up his skills much more.

Well, the Joker is supposed to be the totally uncontrollable lunatic.

He's the avatar of chaos, in Morrison's terms.

It is possible to write him in this way, just like Mark said, not the most interesting.

I'm not saying your idea is wrong Wolvy. I have no idea if it could be or not.

But, what about the whole "Joker without a face" (soon to be a new Billy Idol song!)?

That would seem to be a strange tell to have both characters end up losing their face. (As opposed to "losing face", which might also be applicable.)

... I've only been half-following Snyder's Batman run - I like it a lot, on the whole, although it's not on a par with the stuff he was doing pre-reboot on Detective Comics. ...

+1.

I figured the Joker's face got mutilated because the comics had to go a little further than Heath Ledger's scarred Joker — you can't have the canonical Joker being a pale shadow of the film version, so they upped the ante. Maybe I'm too cynical and there is a twist coming.

On the one hand Batman 17 (the final part of 'Death Of The Family') was quite the [ Spoiler : anti-climax, on the other hand it was never really gonna go where it sort-of promised ].

Didn't like the colouring. No doubt there was a lot of work in it, but I found it intrusive and over-textured, trying way too hard.

Yeah, he totally took the safe route. I'm not running through the streets with a pitchfork like some folks are but it was sort of a let down.

Nice art by Capullo though.

• Upvote 1

What Lou said. It was ok. Not as bad as some would make it and certainly not as AMAZING as others would. Definitely not 10/10 or 5 stars or whatever. I'd say....maybe a 7 of 10, with Capullo's art giving it a boost.

I thought the scene with Bruce immediately going for his son to check on him was nice. Hopefully Richard & Jason are too hurt :)

I am looking forward to Snyder & Capullo take on the Riddler. So hopefully that will be a bit more promising. And not a cross-over

Also heard Glapion is out as inker and Danny Miki takes his place. Greg and Dan did Spawn for years so I think we're in good hands.

• Upvote 1