Master Pernath

Moore's Swamp Thing trades

Hey guys, I was searching for Alan Moore's collected run on Swamp thing in Amazon, but it seems that they just have two volumes in stock. Volume 3 is coming in January. Are DC/Vertigo reprinting them?

They are, and in hardback or paperback

http://www.amazon.com/Saga-Swamp-Thing-Book-1/dp/1401220835/ref=pd_sim_b_2

http://www.amazon.com/Saga-Swamp-Thing-Book-2/dp/1401225446/ref=pd_sim_b_4/

I reckon they have them in Forbidden Planet or one of our other London shops because I keep looking at them and thinking "No, I have the lovely black and white Titan versions and these were my first completist set of comics" and thus save myself the money.

There were some old trade paperbacks, from the late nineties or 2000. Then, in 2011 they released the 6 volumes as hardcovers, and now they are re-releasing those as paperbacks, but it still seems pretty weird to me that those 2011 hardcovers are not available anymore.

Probably trying to appeal to comic collectors. These will be "second printings", and therefore not worth as much, and the out-of-print first printings will go way up in value.

I'm pretty sure the LOEG:Century comics were done that way. I had to order them on Amazon, and I'm pretty sure that vol. 1 was listed as out-of-print, and it was going for crazy amounts of money. I was thinking, "It can't be unavailable already!", and then I saw they had "second printings" available new.

Maybe they want people to hurry and buy the new editions of the Swamp Thing Trades before they're "discontinued" and the next printing is released.

What I think is weird is that Marvel and DC have allowed most of their Essential and Showcase volumns to go totally out-of-print. It seems to defeat the entire purpose.

Does that mean I will have to wait one year before I can get my hands on all the Swampy volumes? I thought that because it was a classic series, it was always available. This sucks, some volumes are being sold at 200 dollars!

You could always do it the old fashioned way, like I did back in the dark days before plentiful TPBs, and hunt down the individual issues.

I don't know how much they're going for today.

I had to pay a little bit for everything from the first appearance of John Constantine back, although only issue #20, #21, and the first J.C. were truly expensive. #20 was $15, #21 was $20, and the first J.C. was $11.

The other issues between Moore's first and the first J.C. were between $5 to $7 a piece.

The rest of the run wasn't that much...but this was in the 1990s.