Which Atlantis....  

5 members have voted

1. 1. ...is your favourite?

• Marvel's
    • DC's
    • Plato's
    • None

Whose Atlantis?

Which comic book version of Atlantis is your favourite, Marvel's or DC's?

(This question does not necessarily have anything to do with like either Sub-Mariner or Aquaman more.)

One has Namor.

One has Aquaman.

One's history was told in the pages of the Atlantis Chronicles mini-series written by Peter David.

One's history was told as a back-up strip called "Tales of Atlantis", written by Steve Gerber.

One had writer Peter David (Aquaman).

One had writer John Byrne (Namor).

But, you can only choose one!

heh

I also like Marvel's better. I just think Marvel's feels more authentic; with a kick-ass monarch, instead of a guy who wears fish-net shirts and hangs around with superheroes all the time.

I vote for Namor.

( Wouldn't Royalty go for the Proper English spelling?. Namour. More exotic, Europeany, and Europes where the Kings are, right?. )

No. It was. It was very good. And, I read it when I was 35.

I was surprised. He had that stupid hook for a hand. It looked very "grim 'n' gritty, early-'90s", but it was a really good take on Aquaman, and the whole mythology.

If it wasn't for Peter David's run on Aquaman, I'd pretty much hate the character, and there's be no need to even have a poll about Atlantis.

Honestly, there really has not been any individual work on Sub-Mariner that's as great as David's treatment of Aquaman. Byrne's Namor series is probably the best written series Sub-Mariner has ever been the main character...and that, while being a good series, really wasn't the most mind-blowing of comics or anything.

But, as awesome as David's Aquaman was, Steve Gerber had the first two rulers of Marvel's Atlantis named Kammuu and Zartre....a little nod to Gerber's existentialist influences.

Yeah. That's part of David's Aquaman. It lays out the whole back-history of Atlantis, up to the time of Arthur Curry's birth/

Then, there's Aquaman:Year One which retells the origin story of Athur Curry.

And, then, it goes on to the monthly Aquaman series.

David put a lot of time and work into making Aquaman seem cool. It's a shame that it was so quickly forgotten.

The Marvel.

Nothing to do with Gerber, just that the DC version involves (or involved, not sure if the last two reboots have fixed it yet) even crappier characters than Aquaman, such as Tempest and Power Girl (who at one point came from Atlantis, rather than Krypton, then she didn't, then she did again, then nobody cared where she came from any more...)

Oh, yeah. I remember the post-Crisis reboot of Power Girl. Yeah, that was awful.

All good points. DC's Atlantis is full of wankers, while Marvel's is actually supposed to be like Atlantis.

I forgot about the terrible characters who are supposed to be from Atlantis in the DCU.

She's been around since the 1940s. That gives her an immediate pass. If Power Girl had been created in the 1940s, I'd have more respect for her too.

She was supposed to have been killed off by the early-1970s anyway, but she was eventually revived.

And, her use in Agents of Atlas get her another pass, as that series was great.

No matter what anyone argues, this cover alone proves that Marvel's Atlantis is superior. Only the Marvel Atlantis could give us such an awesome cover.

http://milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=fullsize&issue=83063787880%209