Rassmguy

John Constantine--Back to the Big Screen

My casting suggestions:

Swamp Thing: Aaron Eckhart

John Constantine: James Marsters

Etrigan: Michael Fassbender

Zatanna: Olivia Wilde

"No" is a very small word. But in certain contexts, it can say so very, very much.

• Upvote 1

http://www.newsarama.com/film/del-toro-justice-league-dark-movie-in-development.html

It's probably worth stressing that according to del Toro himself there's no guarantee yet that the film will actually get made - so far there's a writer attached but not even a finished script, let alone any serious development work underway. I'd be tentatively excited if this project were to go forward - it'd be interesting to see what a director like del Toro could do with these characters, for all that I don't think the ensemble approach is necessarily the best way to go about introducing them onscreen - but I won't start holding my breath for a while yet...

"No" is a very small word. But in certain contexts, it can say so very, very much.

Paul Bettany?

I'd be completely OK with Bettany, although even though he's only in his early 40s, that's arguably already getting a bit long in the tooth (we tend to think of John as being at least forty-something, I suspect, but it's worth remembering that he was in his early 30s when Moore introduced him, and if we want a chance of seeing a true-to-the-comics version of the character onscreen, I think it'd be a mistake to make him substantially older than that for his first appearance).

That's an interesting question, actually - which version of the character would people most like to see used in a film (either this one or some other completely hypothetical de-Keanu'd reboot)? In the 20-odd years that he's been around, aging in real time, he's gone through some major changes...

I think for a movie, you'll probably see a slightly different interpretation of the character than in any of the comics. I don't mean a "removed as far as we can get from the character and still call him Jiohn Constantine" version, like with the original movie.

It'd probably lean closest to the Mike Carey version though. The Carey version seems kind of like an universal type of John.

I can't see Delano's version being translated well to the screen.

Too much of the Ennis John is wrapped up in Kit. A movie wouldn't want to spend the time building up a supporting character like Kit, obviously.

There's zero chance of use of Jenkins' version.

I say they better not use Azzarello's version.

The Milligan version would be about as bad as the Keanu Reeves version.

The Diggle version is just the Carey version writ with over-usage of continuity. Obviously not good for a movie.

The Ellis version is the only other one I could see working.

With most versions of the character, though, age would play very little part. John could really be anywhere from 30 to 50 in Ellis or Carey's run. Neither run is very age specific, and that's played in with every writer, except Jenkins really. The Jenkins version needed to be a 40-something year old man, otherwise, it hasn't been a big deal. Especially after writers started having John always dating women in their 20s.

Universal John.

I think for a movie, you'll probably see a slightly different interpretation of the character than in any of the comics. I don't mean a "removed as far as we can get from the character and still call him Jiohn Constantine" version, like with the original movie.

It'd probably lean closest to the Mike Carey version though. The Carey version seems kind of like an universal type of John.

I can't see Delano's version being translated well to the screen.

Too much of the Ennis John is wrapped up in Kit. A movie wouldn't want to spend the time building up a supporting character like Kit, obviously.

There's zero chance of use of Jenkins' version.

I say they better not use Azzarello's version.

The Milligan version would be about as bad as the Keanu Reeves version.

The Diggle version is just the Carey version writ with over-usage of continuity. Obviously not good for a movie.

The Ellis version is the only other one I could see working.

With most versions of the character, though, age would play very little part. John could really be anywhere from 30 to 50 in Ellis or Carey's run. Neither run is very age specific, and that's played in with every writer, except Jenkins really. The Jenkins version needed to be a 40-something year old man, otherwise, it hasn't been a big deal. Especially after writers started having John always dating women in their 20s.

Universal John.

And Denise Mina's version was a bridge between Carey and Diggle but even that won't see the light of day.

Since we're talking ages:

Moore/Veitch: 33-34

Delano: 34/5-38 (42 in The Horrorist & 55 in Pandemonium)

Ennis: 38-41; 45 circa Son of Man

Jenkins: 41-45

Ellis: 46

Azzarello: 47-49

Carey; 49-52 (w/ #229 can fit anywhere between storyarcs)

Mina: 52-54

Diggle: 54-55

Milligan (the Terrible): 55-59

**Si Spencer (via City of Demons): 57

As for the girlfriends post-Kit, I've always thought Dani was in her late 20s-early 30s. Angie's a tough one as she could've been no more than two years younger than Gemma or at least around the same age. Seeing as Milligan kept hammering the "Epiphany's 23!!" card which wore out its welcome by 2011 , she should be 26 right now.

How old is Ewan McGregor? Isn't he in his mid 30s? Ever since I posted him in the casting thread, I've wondered how that could be. I think he'd be a decent Carey's John. But can he do the Liverpool accent? :icon_wink:

It says on Wikipedia that McGregor is currently 41.

I thought Dani was close to the same age as John. I would have guessed late-30s.

i erred then. i withdraw my suggestion, but he does have a youthful glow.

I'd rather see a Swamp Thing movie by Del Toro. Maybe they could bring John for the sequel.

Hell yes, very much this.

• Upvote 1

Now here's a Constantine-featuring movie we can all get behind -

"The idea of this film is that our gang is on this global tour, and we’re selling out these grand theaters all over Europe—in Berlin, Madrid, London—but we sort of get into a little bit of trouble when we run across my doppleganger. He’s the world’s number one criminal, Constantine, and he happens to look an awful lot like me. I won’t tell you any more than that, but let’s just say mayhem ensues.

"We talked about putting me in makeup and having me play both roles, but we decided Constantine needed to be a guy who could do a Russian accent. And, you know, I’m a pretty accomplished actor and all, but besides the Muppet Christmas Carol and Muppet Treasure Island films, I’ve only really ever played myself. The great thing is, I have like 3,000 relatives back in the swamp, so it was quite easy to find a frog who could play Constantine."

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/01/30/muppets-sequel-exclusive/

Now here's a Constantine-featuring movie we can all get behind

Let's not say anything we might regret, shall we? I mean, this is clearly going to be the closest thing to a comics-accurate version of the character we're ever likely to see on the big screen, but as for getting behind the movie itself...well, I quote from that article:

"Starring opposite the Muppets this time are Ricky Gervais (as Constantine’s villainous sidekick)..."

Sadly, the presence of that bloody man is more than enough to remove any movie - even one starring the Muppets - from my "things I can get behind" list.

• Upvote 1

So... yeah.

John Constantine Is The Lead Character Of Guillermo Del Toro’s DC Movie

During the Wondercon panel for Pacific Rim this afternoon, Guillermo Del Toro seized the inevitable question about his “Justice League Dark” project, Heaven Sent, aka Dark Universe, and absolutely smashed it back.

The lead character of the film, he announced, would be John Constantine. And a blond John Constantine at that. A British John Constantine? Apparently he didn’t say.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/30/john-constantine-is-the-lead-character-of-guillermo-del-toros-dc-movie/

Think of the blond, British actors who've worked with Del Toro before who might be suitable for the role.

There's one obvious candidate for playing Constantine: Luke Goss.

Now, imagine if someone had suggested that in the late 80s...

I couldn't be further away from being happy about any of this. No fan of Del Toro (at least, not when he's got his "I wanna make popular movies!" head on). And yes, I can see James Marsters already practicing his irritating mockney bollocks and OH CHRIST THIS HAS JUST REMINDED ME HOW MUCH I FUCKING HATED BUFFY AND HIS RUN IN TOSSWOOD. breath, breath... there, calm down old chap. Anyway, this all sound hideous- you couldn't possibly find a bigger Swamp Thing fan on the planet than me, and I tell you now, Swampy will never, ever, make for a good movie. Never. It will be bollocks. I sincerely hope this dies a quick death.

SBT