Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Hellblazer 298 rating

For completeness sake, how would you rate this on the traditional straight to hell scale  

5 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 0 to 10 where 1 is poor and 10 is excellent ...

• 0 - I did not buy it.
    • 10 - The Orient Express
    • 9 - The Flying Scotsman
    • 8 - Von Ryan's Express
    • 7 - Thomas The Tank Engine
    • 6 - Silver Streak
    • 5 - Eurostar
    • 4 - Docklands Light Railway
    • 3 - Ghost Train
    • 2 - Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogocrap
    • 1 - A train wreck

... Train drivers don't have an option to "swerve maniacally because someone's on the line"!

Yeah, I was just about to post much the same thing. Occam's Razor suggests Constantine isn't responsible for the crash, even though it could be interpreted that he was. Mind you, in Delano's Hellblazer, a train crash would have been of immense significance, not a minor detail.

...Anyway- I'm currently rereading the first year of the book and loving it all over again. But the most recent issues? They more than live up to the legacy. Great stuff.

What sort of thing do you like about the most recent issues? Welcome aboard, by the way.

... I was thinking I might purchase #300 but you can club together and send me a page each if you want me to own a copy. ...

Piss off, you'd only burn it.

Issue 298: still not my kind of thing. For me, its depiction of John Constantine preparing for his death didn't ring true. For a start, there was no urgency and no sense of the character we've seen in the past. I've never met him but I'd like to think he'd explore a few options and put up a fight. The scene where he shagged Epiphany and said he'd miss the sex was close to self-parody of the Milligan era. In fairness, the final scene was a surprise, and I'm keen to see where it goes next issue.

• Upvote 1

Re #298: You don't think he's got a three way soul bargain lined up on the quiet, Jason?

Re # 300: I would not piss on it if it were on fire, but I might do that instead.

I honestly don't know how to feel about this. On the one hand you can easily tell that Miligan most likely had a lot more planned for the character and just had to completely trash his own plot threads so they could "end" the series.

On the other hand, the train wreck scene and John just going about his day moping about. Was pretty shit. But then this is Milligan and he's pretty much ignored the fact that the main themes behind the series were consequences of actions, also the fact that John isn't a sociopath who decides to prove to his wife that he can't die, by allowing dozens of others to die in a train wreck. I think the scene would been better played out if he decided to go play Russian Roulette and when it came to his turn, the gun either didn't fire or came up empty each time. (Ala that scene in Final Destination 2 where the black dude tried to off himself.) That would have been a much better scene to prove John's point.

I am kind of annoyed with this fates thing because it seems to have just came out of nowhere, it would been much better if Milligan had hints of them during his run, thus slowly building to this moment. But then, this goes back to him most likely not having any idea the series was getting the ax till the last min. But that still doesn't make up for most of his nonstop missed opportunities and idiotic characterization.

• Upvote 2

What Wolvy said. This issue felt like a last-minute wrap-up, but on the other hand, much of Milligan's run read like he always knew the series was ending and he had nothing to lose.

What Wolvy said. This issue felt like a last-minute wrap-up, but on the other hand, much of Milligan's run read like he always knew the series was ending and he just didn't give a shit.

Fixed that for you.

• Upvote 1

If this issue had been just another arc in an ongoing comic, it would have rated higher with me. But I expect(ed) more from the beginning of the last story evah.

...Not that I can ever give these things a rating out of 10 anyway. :shrug:

I disagree with the notion that Milligan had more planned that he had to scrap for the end of the series. He's been the writer for so long now, how could he have not done what he has had planned? And if it were better, why hadn't he introduced it yet? I think, even per the scpeculation a while ago here in this forum, that 300 was an ending goal for quite some time, more than a year at least.