slinker

Hellblazer #299, and they keep getting worse!

I think "Mafia" in this regard is being used as shorthand for "organized crime", but the point still stands. As we saw, Terry was a bit pissed off by his underling's actions and so it does make sense.

^ What he said.

From what I have read of organized crime is you just don't do stuff like that. Wouldn't be very organized if you did.

Aye, but even so I'm inclined to give Milligan a pass on this specific plot contrivance, if not some of the others. It makes a reasonable amount of sense in-story - Terry's behaviour has been somewhat reckless and unpredictable for a while now, and it's not beyond the bounds of possibility based on what we've seen of him that he could have said a few things which would lead an underling (who is clearly depicted as not being especially bright in the first place) to believe that he wanted John dead. Besides, as Qusoor and JasonT pointed out, it's not like there isn't precedent elsewhere in history for precisely this sort of thing happening. Whether that makes it time-honoured or hackneyed is up to each individual reader to decide, but I don't think it's inherently bad plotting. It's undoubtedly a bit contrived, but no more so than any number of things we've all been happy enough to swallow during previous writers' runs - I think the fact that most of us aren't particularly enjoying this one is making us a bit more critical even when it comes to specific details which aren't particularly problematic.

Putting it another way: if this was the only aspect of the story worthy of significant complaint I don't think many of us would see it as a problem.

I think the fact that most of us aren't particularly enjoying this one is making us a bit more critical even when it comes to specific details which aren't particularly problematic.

Putting it another way: if this was the only aspect of the story worthy of significant complaint I don't think many of us would see it as a problem.

Yeah, that is a good point Mark. Plus, the penalty for whacking a guy without permission is getting whacked yourself, which, in this story is entirely accurate. WHy do I continue to nitpick a book i don;t even read I'll never know : P

Perhaps it is because you cannot bring yourself to contemplate the rather

humumgous parasite invertebrates of shite elsewhere in the book?

Yeah. The whole scene just irked me. The resolution of it, with Epiphany. I think it's all just so rushed is why it bothers me. Milligan's plotting is erratic, giving very little room for plausible character ineractions/actions.

"I wish John was dead,,,,"

"I killed John for you boss!"

"What? Here Epiphany, you can do the job."

"OK. Oh, it doesn't make things any better. I'm still mad."

Just random events with no substance behind them.

• Upvote 1