Qusoor

Less than a month to go... what do you expect from 300?

What do you hope it will be?

What do you think it will be?

I've got this odd little thing in my head that John's going to send his nephew to New York, and will hear that the little shit's calling himself John Constantine.

Do you think Milligan will acknnowledge "Royal Blood"? Do you think he's even aware of it?

• Upvote 1

My guess is it will be crap. I will buy it, it will be crap and I will be thankful that it's over.

Derp. I just twigged on to what you are saying. Holy shit that is a terrible idea and it's totally plausible at this point! :ohmy::mad:

It will be revealed that Hellblazer 300 wasn't the end and the title will conclude in a prestige-format mini series by Jamie Delano and a vast array of artists.

And then, a month before the mini series is published, it will be revealed that Delano was fired and the acclaimed team of Ray Fawkes and Jeff Lemire took over the project.

What do you hope it will be?

What do you think it will be?

I've got this odd little thing in my head that John's going to send his nephew to New York, and will hear that the little shit's calling himself John Constantine.

Do you think Milligan will acknnowledge "Royal Blood"? Do you think he's even aware of it?

Knowing him, he'd twist it. He's a history revisionist, that fella!

I expect nothing but horror, pain, and torture....for the reader.

I hope that it ends with an extra-dimensional threat coming on the scene and DC Earth and Hellblazer Earth have to merge, and in the ashes, only DCU John is left. Then, we move on with the wonders of Constantine and forget that HB ever existed.

I'm not even talking about in the comics either. I mean, this will really happen. All of our Hellblazer comics will be erased by the new continuity. We won't even realize there was a comic called Hellblazer. This section of our Forum will be gone.

Only Slinker will have vague memories of the former reality, and so we'll call him "Psycho Pirate", for some odd reason.

And, of course, the extra-dimensional threat will be known as the DiDio.

• Upvote 2

Only Slinker will have vague memories of the former reality, and so we'll call him "Psycho Pirate", for some odd reason.

:smile:

I expect nothing but horror, pain, and torture....for the reader.

I hope that it ends with an extra-dimensional threat coming on the scene and DC Earth and Hellblazer Earth have to merge, and in the ashes, only DCU John is left. Then, we move on with the wonders of Constantine and forget that HB ever existed.

I'm not even talking about in the comics either. I mean, this will really happen. All of our Hellblazer comics will be erased by the new continuity. We won't even realize there was a comic called Hellblazer. This section of our Forum will be gone.

And, of course, the extra-dimensional threat will be known as the DiDio.

HB214.jpg

• Upvote 1

I hope that's his nephew in New York, I would sigh the grateful sigh of relief, like after you've had to hold a piss to the point of rupturing internals.

Here's my thing that tells me this is the end, no matter what. I don't have faith in humans especially when they are confined by the harsh restraints of commerce and corporate image. Even after they have fired Didio and try to put things right in allowing titles to drift back to how they were, even of they reboot HELLBLAZER back into the Vertigo universe, it won't be the same because John Constantine is the only comics character I've ever been aware of who aged in real time. You might argue that gosh he looks great for his age, but we have plenty of reasons why that can be true. But the new HELLBLAZER would be required to fit an image the old one didn't ever get forced into, will have to tie into the other stories in its universe it didn't really have to in this version. Uniformity and consistency are fine as technological innovations, but as far as imposing them on a culture, fuck off, right?

But what won't change ever is the way they are handling this whole thing, and that can't be undone, and it has totally changed the way I view comics and the industry as a whole. Their actions say "fuck the fans, they'll take anything we give them." And while I have a low opinion of humanity as a whole, certain pockets of it are capable of offering more redemption than others, and I hate it when comics fan get screwed by marketing campaigns. It's such a soulless way to dry erase what once was set in stone.

And this John is our John. I feel weird saying that to a forum full of people who started reading the book while Delano was still writing it when I only came in at Carey. But I love this character, and even if they try and reboot it with the exact same John, it won't be. And yes, the Bloodline thing now gets to be an Elseworlds title, thanks to Didio and his best mate Milligan, you know, from Milligan's Island.

"With Milligan, the Didio too, some billionaires and other scribes, who all think they're movie stars, fuck the rest, here on Milligan's Island!"

• Upvote 2

You really haven't been reading comics for very long, have you?

Us old-timers know that the Big Two have always taken the stance, "Fuck the fans! They'll keep buying whatever shite we shovel their way, because they're comics!". And, time and time again, Marvel and DC have both been proven right. Personally, as a long-time comic fan, I feel lucky when we see a strong creative push at a corporate publisher, like we're seeing from Image and, to a large extent, Marvel.

I haven't felt the same about comics since I matured in the early-90s and started to think fondly about the 1980s, but yet I have kept going and going. Through all the House of M, Civil War, Siege, One More Day, Secret Invasion, Avengers versus X-Men (gasp!)....New 52....and that's just from the past decade and off the top of my head!

The more shite they shovel, the more the marks (not our Mark) come running to the trough too. "Mega-cross-over that will change everything? I want two copies!" "A new cross-over right after the last one just ended? OMG! This is awesome!" "Civil War was the best comic probably evar!" Marvel CEO:"Sales are going up and up on our company wide cross-overs." Ugh.

I have to sit back and wait for a gem like Jason Aaron on Thor to come my way amidst the garbage, and then I smile, and say, "Thank you, sir. May I have another?", and they usually say, "No." and cancel it within two years and start preparing more slop instead.

I still think you're being too optimistic by thinking that Vertigo will eventually reboot Hellblazer.

Honestly, I think Vertigo will be gone by the time DiDio and Constantine are gone.

I think Constantine will get cut relatively early, but I still give it at least 14-16 months before DC pulls the plug. DC seems to give titles close to a year before deciding to get rid of them....and I think they're getting more desperate, as they're eventually going to run out of characters to replace the ones whose sales have fallen too low.

I mean, OMAC got eight issues, and I was the only person who bought any issues of that title from my local store. This was during the period when they could not keep any "New 52" books on the racks, they were considered so hot. Yet, they still couldn't sell one copy of OMAC! And, Constantine, like it or not, is getting some heavy hype behind it for the launch, so petering sales will keep it around for longer than OMAC.

And, then, I can't see them immediately going back to Hellblazer. They'll figure if Hellblazer's sales weren't considered healthy by DC, and the "New 52" Constantine book failed, then the character must not be worth publishing.

Eventually, nostalgia would bring John back....but, by then, I really expect Vertigo will be a memory. I don't see Vertigo lasting too much longer in the "sales conscious" DC Comics of today.*

We're just going on guesses here too. Constantine might end up doing well enough to get a 50 issue run, or something. There's no telling. I can't see it going on indefinitely though.

*That's unless Vertigo finds a relatively big hit to be the equivalent of, at least, a Fables. Fables won't keep going much longer (god, I hope not anyway! heh), and after that, Vertigo has nada planned so far.

• Upvote 2

Unwritten has a finite end in sight last I heard.

Fables seems to be doing okay with spinoffs and all that like a proper grown up comic universe title.

And they are "crossing over" in a forthcoming arc of Unwritten.

I think the bigger picture is that the JL Dark titles are being set up to feed in to the proposed film to launch a franchise, so we probably have 3 years of Constantine as a minimum. I don't honestly know if it will survive and pick up readers, as DCU/Marvel readers are so wrapped up in fandom that some books keep readership regardless of how crap they are and lose readers despite being good.

Christian, I've been reading comics all my life. One may immerse oneself in a world of comics and still be oblivious ti the modus operandi of their publishers. In fact, most of the economic bullshit and politics came to me late in life, comparatively speaking. I started paying attention to politics when I realized how fucked up and corrupt it is at every level in my mid-30s, which was more than a decade ago. Since then, I eye everything with suspicion. But I'd wager I've been reading funnybooks since before you were born, sonny!

Wait a second....How old are you? I'm 37, and I've been reading comics since 1982.

I just assumed that you were a reader who had gotten into comics later in life, based on some things you've written about Hellblazer and in the Comics section. It does happen after all!

I'm 102 in dog years, and still an embryo in Ananaki years. Sonny, I'm glaring into the white light of 50 soon. Half a fucking century.

well, I don't possess the maturity of a 50 yr old. Nor the restraint nor the caution nor the need for self preservation..Honestly, if I don't have my midlife crisis soon, what's the fucking point?

I'm actually feeling a little inspired that you can still get so worked up over something like this at your age chief, fair play!

As for the final issue, I reckon it'll wrap with John and Ephiphany settled down somewhere together, with the world at large convinced that Constantine is dead and gone.

Hmm... I've been staring at your question, trying to recall what it is about "Royal Blood" that you're referring to, but I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm not making the connection. Help!

I have no idea either. A demon installed as the monarch of England? Jack the Ripper? Abraxas? Garth Ennis? That's all I remember from that story-arc.

Some confusion between 'Royal Blood' (Ennis's prince ripper thing) and 'Bad Blood' (Delano's future Constantine thing), maybe?

• Upvote 2

Oh! BAD Blood. Gotcha. That makes much more sense than Royal Blood. Thanks. :)

And no, I doubt Milligan--who doesn't seem to have a clue about Hellblazer history--either has read it or will be consistent with that miniseries.

Funnily enough, I was thinking, "Is Royal Blood the Jamie Delano mini-series?". A quick peek in my comic box showed me that was called "Bad Blood".

Bad Blood would make more sense.

Even Jamie Delano doesn't consider Bad Blood to be canonical anymore. All the death of Diana parts were out-dated within months of him finishing the mini-series, so it's considered an alternate reality tale now anyway.

I still want Delano to make the last, canonical Hellblazer story. Then I would fell that the cycle is truly closed.

Unfortunately, at this point, it's more probable to see Scott Lobdell or DanDidio writing Constantine's adventures.

• Upvote 1