Qusoor

Less than a month to go... what do you expect from 300?

Thanks folks. I do remember Frank Capello / Tears In Rain posting a few years ago about a few things, I thought he seemed alright and folk were generally receptive to his posts (about There Was A Quiet Man IIRC). Had no idea that he'd butted heads with folk beforehand; indeed, fair play to him for sticking around after that.

This was after I got invoted to the set, which would have been damned funny.

I'm still irked that last minute Real Life Stuff fucked my chance of being flown out to LA, was all set to get my whore on and do a complete 180 for that sweet, sweet Yankee Dollar.

Frank Cappello posted as TearsInRain and, to be fair to the guy, he ended up being alright - still shows up every couple of years to hint at a possible sequel.

Oh they did contact you. I said I couldn't do it (I was moving house from California to Vermont that week), and I suggested they make the offer to you. I sort of assumed that they never did, as flying you from Ireland would have been expensive.

I think your memory fails you.

It was not the scriptwriter that came here that said those things, but several producer types.

Mostly he was quite a gent around these parts, discussed many of the misgivings but had a studio to breastfeed after all.

And was not guilty of the very worst aspects of the film which were (1) in the 1st draft that he was hired to work up

or (2) added by Igor Goldkind at the 11th hour.

He seemed to thinmk he was very original, and when he pointed out several 'unprecidented things' about his screenplan, I cited places where they had been done before. Which led me to realize that I have difficulty respecting anyone who claims ignorance of Kit Marlowe's Dr Faustus.

And, I don't much care about DC"s decision to kill HB. If the book was going to continue to be one the worst comics being published currently, I'd rather see it killed. Then, at least, my collector's obsession to keep buying the book won't kick in.

This. Very much this.

Right. My mistake, then. I was sure it was the scriptwriter.

Actually, this looks more like Ade's mistake than mine: I was talking about ye olde DC forum, not here. (I wasn't even on this forum back then.) It's nice to think that he was behaving in a civil fashion on here, as he came across as a bit of a prick over there. Not necessarily in the wrong (obviously he couldn't discuss the content of his screenplay or anything else about the film before its release), but throwing a tantrum about fanboys who belong in Jay And Silent Bob Strike back (I forget how he phrased it, but something along those lines) while refusing to answer any of the speculation that was getting bandied about isn't exactly constructive. The poor guy had managed to put a few noses out of joint even before the film came out, so I'm glad he came across better over here.

• Upvote 1

This was after I got invoted to the set, which would have been damned funny.

I'm still irked that last minute Real Life Stuff fucked my chance of being flown out to LA, was all set to get my whore on and do a complete 180 for that sweet, sweet Yankee Dollar.

Frank Cappello posted as TearsInRain and, to be fair to the guy, he ended up being alright - still shows up every couple of years to hint at a possible sequel.

There's a blast from the past! I didn't realize that was Cappello. I thought it was a Keanusteen die-hard.

I am looking forward to seeing how it ends, specially with the end of the last issue making his death a big deal. Though him pulling this shit has happened before. But they didn't have a body to bury or anything like that. He just kind of vanished for a few days.

The story with Rick the Vic holding a funeral for a load of characters who Ennis killed off before the end of his run, and Kit?

• Upvote 1

The story with Rick the Vic holding a funeral for a load of characters who Ennis killed off before the end of his run, and Kit?

Yeah, I think that is the one. John gets hired to do an exorcism or something and ends up vanishing during the job. Then everybody panics and thinks he's dead, and then at the end during the funeral he shows up and says a smarmy one liner and everybody shats themselves.

Ironically this actually happened in real life. A man's family is told that he died, they go and identify the body at the morgue. Then during the funeral the guy shows up like "What the fuck is going on?" and everybody shats themselves. Turns out that somebody with a name similar to his died and his family misidentified the body in their grief.

Nobody gave him a slap when he turned up at his own funeral for a cheap joke?

Actually, this looks more like Ade's mistake than mine: I was talking about ye olde DC forum, not here. (I wasn't even on this forum back then.) It's nice to think that he was behaving in a civil fashion on here, as he came across as a bit of a prick over there. Not necessarily in the wrong (obviously he couldn't discuss the content of his screenplay or anything else about the film before its release), but throwing a tantrum about fanboys who belong in Jay And Silent Bob Strike back (I forget how he phrased it, but something along those lines) while refusing to answer any of the speculation that was getting bandied about isn't exactly constructive. The poor guy had managed to put a few noses out of joint even before the film came out, so I'm glad he came across better over here.

To be fair to me, the DC official forums have been shit since they left AOL.

• Upvote 1

I faintly recall one incident when Frank/Tears was mildly arsey - it was after he'd been posting here for aaaages, and had been greeted fairly consistently with good humour and respect by most of StH, even those of us who strongly disliked what we'd seen of the film up to that point. He was giving an interview to (I think) IMDb, and made some offhand reference to the notion that fans of the comic were really just put out by the aforementioned Americanization, which was a bit dickish given how far out of our collective way most of us had gone to make it clear that we really, honestly had put a bit more thought than *that* into the whole thing.

But other than that (and to be entirely fair, there was a sizeable enough minority of kneejerking arseholes both on the DC/Vertigo boards - and, it must sadly be admitted, even here, albeit less so - who were rather less reasonable or rational about the whole thing, so it's not hard to see why he might have ended up feeling a bit defensive after a while), he was never less than courteous, reasonable and friendly around these parts. Shame the film he was involved with turned out to be so crushingly mediocre (it didn't even have the decency to be properly *bad*...), but the man himself was, on the whole, a proper gent about the whole mess even when he didn't need to be.

He also directed American Yakuza which, while no masterpiece, is a rather good, underrated little film. And He Was A Quiet Man, while not quite as good as I'd hoped it would be, really wasn't bad at all. Aye, Cappello's OK by me.

To be fair to me, the DC official forums have been shit since they left AOL.

Yep indeedy. It's a terrible shame as that was a great little forum at one point.

And He Was A Quiet Man, while not quite as good as I'd hoped it would be, really wasn't bad at all. Aye, Cappello's OK by me.

yeah Frank's cool! i met frank a couple of times a few years before I started reading hellblazer and had no idea he was one of the screenwriters for Connieteen when I met him which would have been around the time he was writing it, I think - 2004 or so. We had a mutual friend, have a mutual friend, but I haven't stayed in touch with many people in Cal since I left. I loved "he was a quiet man." the talking fish cracked me up.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I think that is the one. John gets hired to do an exorcism or something and ends up vanishing during the job. Then everybody panics and thinks he's dead, and then at the end during the funeral he shows up and says a smarmy one liner and everybody shats themselves.

Ironically this actually happened in real life. A man's family is told that he died, they go and identify the body at the morgue. Then during the funeral the guy shows up like "What the fuck is going on?" and everybody shats themselves. Turns out that somebody with a name similar to his died and his family misidentified the body in their grief.

It was the drummer from Mucous Membrane who called John. Beano, I think his name was.

The one who Milligan had setting flies on Gary Lester?