Sign in to follow this  
Atticus

Justice League - The Movie

Was looking for a place to post this, and I was surprised that we don't have a JL movie thread already (but if we do can I ask Ade to chuck this post in there).

Anyway, Mark Millar has been speaking out against the wisdom of a Justice League movie in SFX magazine - repeated here by Bleeding Cool.

Assuming he hasn't been quoted out of context or selectively, his opinions on this matter are at best ignorant and at worst arrogant.

Every criticism he makes about why it would fail could easily be levelled at both the Avengers and X-Men franchises, and we know how much of a failure they've been.

75 year old characters? Because no-one went to see those terrible Batman movies, right?

A superhero using a weapon to fight someone from a hundred feet away? Because Iron Man never does that.

Strange appendages on masks? I give you Thor's winged Norse helmet. Never mind Cap's little fairy wings or Wolverine's side-paddles.

Feeble rogue's gallery? Like they're actually going to use Weather Wizard.

Talking underwater? If only there was some sort of special sound effect that could be added post-production to get round the fact that people can't actually do this. Necessity is the mother of invention they say. Who would've thought they'd get around the problem in Iron Man of having an expressionless masked face of a hero by showing you his in-helmet head surrounded by all his floating-in-air HUDs? And that it would actually work on screen?

All easily solvable problems. I can't for the life of me understand why he doesn't seem to think that these things can't be solved by a proper adaptation of the source material. Change what doesn't work, keep what you can make work.

OK stay with me here...when looking for info on the next Batman Arkham City installment, I came across this page:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/175001-batman-arkham-city-follow-up-coming-this-year

Most notable is the comment: "however, now that the film appears to be in trouble could these plans change?" in regards to JL

Uh...the film's in trouble?

Aye, well, there was a report on Bleeding Cool that the first draft of the script was terrible, and it had already been decided that they would wait and see how Man Of Steel does at the box office before pushing on with it.

Amongst some this could be seen as being "in trouble".