JohnMcMahon

Hellblazer #300

23 members have voted

1. 1. Your marks out of 10 for Hellblazer #300, please...

• Zero

Lou K    1,097

That was one of the worst comic books I've ever read. Last time I read something that bad was the last time I tried to read Hellblazer. If you're going to trot out garbage like this, go ahead and shut it down.

• Upvote 2

Christian    805

And, the positive reviews are already coming:

http://www.themoonisadeadworld.net/2013/02/comic-review-hellblazer-300.html

Of course.

Somehow, I don't think the scenes with Gemma were exactly Hellblazer going out with dignity....

The review seems to spend a lot of time discussing John being dead, although that meant little in the scheme of the story we just read.

For some reason, the reviewer thinks that people would be better off without John, as shown by the pages of issue #300.

Somehow, that did not make it into the plot, as far as I saw.

It might have been a decent direction to pursue.B

But, what did we see? Finn sitting on a grave, getting drunk, wanting to be John. Gemma being a sexist caricature, per Milligan's usual. Epiphany saying she didn't want to be without John (like it was Days of Our Lives). Chas getting punched in the nose. Where was the "things are better without John"?

Terry Greaves was probably the only one who could say that, and he was supposed to be an antagonist.

You could argue John messed their lives up (at a stretch with Epiphany, at the least), but his being dead didn't make anything better for anyone. In fact, it was John's freakin' ghost that was going around, trying to sort out the other character's lives, to a large extent.

I'm just not sure where the review got the idea that dead John was shown as a positive in any character's life, during the brief period he was dead.

• Upvote 1

Demon Chas08    295

http://www.themoonis...blazer-300.html

Of course.

Somehow, I don't think the scenes with Gemma were exactly Hellblazer going out with dignity....

The review seems to spend a lot of time discussing John being dead, although that meant little in the scheme of the story we just read.

For some reason, the reviewer thinks that people would be better off without John, as shown by the pages of issue #300.

Somehow, that did not make it into the plot, as far as I saw.

It might have been a decent direction to pursue.B

But, what did we see? Finn sitting on a grave, getting drunk, wanting to be John. Gemma being a sexist caricature, per Milligan's usual. Epiphany saying she didn't want to be without John (like it was Days of Our Lives). Chas getting punched in the nose. Where was the "things are better without John"?

Terry Greaves was probably the only one who could say that, and he was supposed to be an antagonist.

You could argue John messed their lives up (at a stretch with Epiphany, at the least), but his being dead didn't make anything better for anyone. In fact, it was John's freakin' ghost that was going around, trying to sort out the other character's lives, to a large extent.

I'm just not sure where the review got the idea that dead John was shown as a positive in any character's life, during the brief period he was dead.

Most review sites are paid off anyway. Both that and (as we've all established) are fucktards.

As for the art, I, like Mark noticed the odd pattern with recent artists during the past ten years. It's wierd that the three's art declined compared to Phillips and Dillion who improved over the years (and Will Simpson's seeing as he's now HBO bound these days storyboarding Games of Thrones). Frusin was Risso-lite when he first started with Azzarello then by midway through Carey, he cuts loose with the spaghetti legs and arms plus John's Eastwood face. Manco's a oddity seeing as his inking style (plus the slight tweaking of John's shoes and coat collar going up and down throughout Mina's stint) changed between the start of #216-232 and onwards. Then by the Laughing Magician arc he goes all out sketch wise til the very end. And Camuncoli?

Eleven years ago, his art (with Cam Stewart) was a breath of fresh air. Surprised he was on the guest route like Phillips and Dillon was during there respective eras Once the Chas centered #206 rolled in, his style was tweaked when he was first paired with Stefano Landini and looking back on that #168-9 and since.

A. Heathen    1,170

I guess I like the idea of John Constantine turning into Bacchus. That's what happens at the end, right? Right?

Vertigo 2013!

Sadly, I can only say it's finally over.

:hattip:

A. Heathen    1,170

Good thoughts on the review, Christian, perhaps the reviews will be like the final Azzarello arc, many varied accounts of what did not happen.

Here's an additional comment.

None of the loose ends really pre-date Milligan's run on the book.

Actually, Gemma's supposed reasons for reverting to a gangster's moll are supposedly triggered by bereavement, I suppose.

It seems probable that the decision to cancel Hellblazer was made only shortly before it was announced in November, which may well have left them with half a year's worth of plotlines to resolve. But as a double sized issue there's a load of chaff here.

An ensemble issue with various artists telling us how everyone is better off without John would have been much more moving rather than All The Constantines Fuck Epiphany Greaves.

I really hope that Peter Milligan rediscovers the storytelling ability he still had when he wrote Scab.

DC Editorial can stick their Children's Constantine up their collective arse.

• Upvote 1

slinker    893

After having read the pages in between those posted here, I will say it made more sense. But not much, the whole thing about John wanting Epiphany to screw his nephew is dumb as hell just to throw off the Fates. Hellblazer is over, DC sucks many nasty cocks life goes on, and I'm done with Hellblazer, since it's done. I'm not going to read Constantine, I don't much care for their John. He's nothing compared to ours. Lemire and Fawkes really oughta get a fucking clue about who their PG-13 character is, cuz he sure ain't John COnstantine, not even close, not the way they write him. Justice League Dark is NOT something to be proud of, so fuck off. I need to do something else. I'm done being workedup over this.

JasonT    456
This should be looked at in the next decade as a "how-to" guide for killing any interest in a character.

JohnMcMahon    595

I was going to include a bonus poll asking people how many stars they think CBR will give it, I'm going with four myself.

Kei    5

Meh. Nobody can explain what the fuck hapened at the end? I'm really clueless here. And to clear another point, did I miss any issue, sidestory or whatever in which it would be explained why gemma goes from a tough young woman who wants to be in her uncles footsteps and is actually likeable to the trainwreck we meet at Johns wedding. I didnt get that at all and its entirely possible that I missed an issue here or something I dont know.

I thought there were meant to be nods to important hellblazer characters and I was baffled that Kit wasnt even mentioned (for me one of the more important characters) also, yay more screentime for finn than for Chas. What was this, what did I miss here?

Sorry for the questions I only picked up the series 2 Years ago and then started reading from the beginning so I might missed something, all in all this issue made me a little sad.

• Upvote 1

JohnMcMahon    595

Chas really should've stomp-fucked Finn, the sentiment behind that scene was nice but it did feel off that he was the one who ended up laid out.

Being raped by her Uncle's demonic counterpart may explain Gemma's character change!

Yes, Gemma was already a mess before John's wedding. You could say that her mother's death really affected her, but when she appeared in Mina's final issues, she was fine.

By the way, we can all pretend that Hellblazer ended with Carey's run. What a good title it was!

• Upvote 1

JohnMcMahon    595

I'd go further back and wrap it after Ellis' brief stint - Mike's run had its moments but the whole Shadow Dog story felt badly out-of-place in the pages of Hellblazer and as for Swamp Thing's codpience of doom....eep!

I keep meaning to go back and reread Diggle's stint, after hearing him speak on Hellblazer recently it got me to thinking that I didn't give it the chance it deserved.

Atticus    164

I thought #300 sucked a bit less than #298-#299 but it was still pretty awful.

I got the impression that after last month's teasing (where we expect to see JC turn up at almost every page turn, for him finally to appear when we've just about written off the possibility) Milligan tries to use the same trick again.

He's alive! No, he's not. He's a ghost! No he's ALIVE! No, he's falling apart. Is he a ghost? is he alive? Is he old?

There were a couple of nice ideas (the use of"made-up" magic incantations and the power of bullshit - which, while tapping into Hellblazer mythos, shouldn't have worked on such a powerful demon as Julian) but these were executed poorly (being used by Finn Bejaysus Begorrah O'Constantine, who seems to have become rather proficient pretty fucking quickly). The smoking the ashes just seemed a bit shoved in at the last minute as a handy device.

I too am fed up with seeing Gemma in such a pathetic state, when she was once so confident and assertive. The FotF's cameo was well-meant but laughable. It also seems that someone told Milligan at the last minute that he had to stick Chas in somewhere. The business with the magic gun was ridiculous.

The last few pages gave some ambiguity to the resolution, but only insofar as to leave the reader wondering "was that shit, or reeeally shit?". The bottles on the bar were a nice touch, though the artwork was pretty poor overall.

A rather poor end to a much loved series, but a fitting end to the last few years of shit.

• Upvote 1

Demon Chas08    295

Yes, Gemma was already a mess before John's wedding. You could say that her mother's death really affected her, but when she appeared in Mina's final issues, she was fine.

By the way, we can all pretend that Hellblazer ended with Carey's run. What a good title it was!

I'm only gonna pretend it ended with #250

• Upvote 1

Shawn    297

I did not buy the issue. After flipping thru it a bit at the store & seeing the spoilers and discussion here, I opted out. I'm glad I did. Thank you all, for saving me some $$. I used it instead to buy Indestructible Hulk #4.

• Upvote 2

Raindog    8

I'm going to chime in with a small positive: I liked that Constantine smoked himself back into being (even if it sounds damn stupid to just say, it was a very cool visual). When the title of the final storyline was "Death and Cigarettes" I though it was a stupid, vapid phrase. "Death" because this is a horror title's end, and "Cigarettes" because… well, it's Constantine, right? Can't just say "Death and Trench Coats." Used "trench coat" in the title of a storyline barely a year ago. So (and this might be the soft bigotry of low expectations) the fact that cigarettes actually had an important role in the story was a sublime little moment.

Having first read Gemma in Ennis' run and really liking who she became in Mike Carey's hands, seeing her reduced to this trembling, stuttering shadow of her former self seems really unfortunate. On one hand, she's the most obvious symbol of all Constantine's failures, and not even his occult ones, just his simple failure to be a reliable family member for his niece. On the other hand, Milligan doesn't seem at all interested in exploring her as more than a paper-thin persona. Milligan's women in this story, from his cheap fat jokes at the expense of Angie, to the abuse heaped on Gemma, even Epihany (who I like) are thin shadows of real people.

Constantine's final departure from Piffy seems ridiculous, too.

I don't know if Gemma's magic bullet kills Constantine and he disappears and we see that for John hell is really being an ordinary old codger in a Liverpool pub, or if it's mean to be a kind of Finnegan's Wake wherein the whole series has been the fleeting thought of an old man, or we're seeing John's future as having escaped his fated death but now is just a lonely old man and we're catching him in the moment of realization of what an idiot he's been, or (as mentioned previously) that the bullet destroys "magician" Constantine and we see the 60-year-old man he really would be.

Maybe it's just a cruel joke at his expense or a curse. Either one is kind of appropriate if we look at John turning his back on everything good in his life in another "nobody hurt anymore" bout of self-pitying avoidance that finally bites him right on his old arse.

Or maybe it's a little meta commentary. He winds up an old man surrounded by hipsters, trapped. Just another undying piece of intellectual property... and nothing makes you show your age like never growing old.

Hellblazer is dead. Long live Hellblazer.

• Upvote 3

Lou K    1,097

I did like the last page or two, and figured it a very fitting ending for our John. Raindog's speculation as to who he is and how he got there is great and leaves a lot to our own interpretations.