Shawn

The Leaden Age of the new 52 - DCU thread

Now what are you reading?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Justice League

• Justice League of America (Johns & Finch [#3])
    • Justice League (Johns & Frank [Johns & Lee])
    • Green Arrow (Lemire & Sorrentino [Krul & Jurgens])
    • Katana (Nocenti, Someone & Senkiewicz [#3])
    • Vibe (Kreisberg, Woods & Parsons [#3])
    • Aquaman (Johns, Pelleter & Parsons [Johns & Reis])
    • Wonder Woman (Azzarello, Akins & Green [Azz & Chiang])
    • Flash (Buccelato & Takara [Manapul])
    • Savage Hawkman (De Falco, Bennet & Thibert [Daniel, Bonny & Tan])
    • Firestorm (Jurgens & McCarthy [Harris & Van Sciver])
    • Earth 2 (Robinson & Scott [#11])
    • World's Finest of Earth 2? (Levitz & Kitson [#11])
    • none of these
  2. 2. Superman

• Action Comics (Diggle, Daniel & Batt [Morrison & Morales])
    • Superman (Lobdell & Rocafort [Perez & Merino]
    • Superboy (De Falco, Silva & Lean [Lobdell & Silva])
    • Supergirl (Johnson & Asrar [Green, Johnson & Asrar])
    • none of these
  3. 3. Lanterns of Many Colours

• Green Lantern (Johns & Mahnke [same])
    • Green Lantern Corps (Tomasi, Pasarin & Hannah [same])
    • New Guardians (Bedard & Kuder [Bedard & Kirkham])
    • Red Lanterns (Milligan & Sepulveda [Milligan & Benes])
    • none of these
  4. 4. Batman

• Batman Incorporated (Morrison & Burnham [#10])
    • Batman & Robin (Tomasi, Gleason & Gray [Hurrah The Same Team!])
    • Batman (Snyder, Kubert & Hope [Snyder & Capullo])
    • Batman The Dark Knight (Hurwitz & Van Sciver [Finch & Jenkins])
    • Talon (Snyder, Tynion & March [#7])
    • Detective Comics (Layman & Fabok [Daniel & Winn])
    • Batgirl (Simone, Sampere & Cifuentes [Simone & Syaf])
    • Batwoman (Williams & Blackman [same again, gotta love the Bat Family])
    • Catwoman (Nocenti, Sandoval & Tarragona [Winick & March])
    • Birds of Prey (Marx, Molinar & Cifuentes [Swerczinski & Saiz])
    • Batwing (Nicieza & Fiorentino [Winick & Olivier])
    • Nightwing (Higgins, Booth & Rapmund [Higgins & Barrow])
    • Red Hood & The Outlaws (Lobdell & Rocafort [Lobdell & Rocafort])
    • none of these
  5. 5. The Good, The Dark and The Ugly

• Swamp Thing (Soule & Kano [Snyder & Paquette])
    • Animal Man (Lemire & Pugh (Lemire and someone I foregot man, because STEVE PUGH!)
    • Justice League Trademark (Lemire, Fawkes & Janin [Milligan & Janin])
    • Constantine For Children (Lemire, Fawkes & Guedes [#2])
    • Phantom Stranger (Dildo, De Matteis, Cannon & Ha [#7])
    • Sword of Saucers (Marx & Andreyko [#7])
    • Dial H (Mieville, Ponticelli & Green [#11])
    • Demon Knights (Venditti & Chang [Cornell, Neves & Albert])
    • none of these. Not even the good ones.
  6. 6. The Uncategoricals

• All Western (Gray & Palmiotti, Moritat [same])
    • Death Stroke (Jordan, Salazar & Hanna [Higgins & Benet])
    • Suicide Squad (Glass, Johnson & Florea [Glass & Rudy]
    • Team 7 (Jordan & Alixe [#7])
    • Threshold (Giffen & Raney [#4])
    • none of these
  7. 7. Young Justice

• Legion of Super Heroes (Levitz, Giffen & Koblitz [Levitz & Portela])
    • Stormwatch (Starlin, Guichet & Trindade [Cornell & Sepulveda])
    • Teen Titans (Lobdell, Barrows & Ferreira [Lobdell & Booth])
    • The Ravagers (Nelson, Guara & Rapmund [#11])
    • none of these
  8. 8. The New Ones

• Green Team (Baltazar, Franco & Guara [#1])
    • The Movement (Simone & Freddie Williams [#1])
    • none of these
  9. 9. On the following scientific scale, how do you feel about all this DCU hokum right now?

• definitely Animal Man
    • mostly Batman
    • probably Constantine
    • rather Didio
  10. 10. Are you downloading these off the Freehadists?

• all
    • some
    • rarely
    • none

The most recent issue of Swamp Thing was....not good. The dialog & narration seemed off, compared to the last few issues. Editorial? Did Constanteen's presence screw it up?

Green Arrow was cool, as he tracks down Count Vertigo. I must he's portrayed as a serious threat, all drawn amazingly by Sorrentino. It's starting to feel like this book is hitting it's stride.

And a bit of news, Rafael Albuquerque will be the new artist on Animal Man. Very cool!!!

And the DCnU could use more Ostrander! Assuming he'd be allowed to write like Ostrander :-)

He's actually coming back to write the Wonder Woman super-villain month issue, which will feature Cheetah.

If that's a good thing or a bad thing, I have no idea.

• Upvote 1

I think his Suicide Squad might be finally being collected? Or, I might be wrong about that, or they might have stopped.

Nope. It says on wikipedia that due to low sales of volumn 1 (are people crazy?!) that plans for vol. 2 were canceled. So, it looks like that's an excellent series that will never be collected.

I know, about The Spectre too. Only one TPB was ever released of that series.

The most recent issue of Swamp Thing was....not good. The dialog & narration seemed off, compared to the last few issues. Editorial? Did Constanteen's presence screw it up?

It was rather like Brian Azzarello re-imagining Whisky Galore!

Did not like the art for the first time, Hugh will be livid when he sees them Jocko Stereotypes

(and that's a big "town" for a population of 72)

But I quite liked the unnecessarily easy way in which Nu-Constanteen was taken by the toxic whisky.

Hope they don't make it that he was in on it all along.

http://whenwillthehurtingstop.blogspot.de/2013/08/sir.html

Excellent summary of what everyone knows except DC.

So now we have an environment where Shazam and John Constantine can share panels in a completely straight-forward and unironic fashion. The tone of Shazam's solo adventures is now vaguely mordant and grisly (in a sanitized way), which is also not-so-coincidentally the tone of Constantine's book. Both characters can interact on the same footing.

But what is most unique about both characters has also been lost: Shazam (which is the name we're stuck with) is far too dark and unpleasant to reflect the character's appealing virtue, while the Nu52 Constantine is a watered-down, juvenile mess without any of the ambiguity, intelligence, or charm of the original. In trying to create a consistent, comfortable shared universe context for both characters, they have sanded away everything important.

• Upvote 3

Prior to the Didioization of DC into the Neu 52, Paul Pope pitched an idea to DC which was declined with the quote "DC only makes comics for 45 yr olds." So they are going for an all ages crowd now but weren't then? It's funny to me that now nearly all their titles suck but when this incident happened, they had several titles going that were readable. I mean there's so much there in that one line that reflects superiorly to what DC is all about now.

I'm not totally sure if I get your point here, but if you're saying that DC is now aiming at children, and that's what wrong with "The New 52", then I staunchly disagree.

The book Pope was pitching (Kamandi) was created during an environment when comics were made for kids.

You can very easily create quality comic books that walk an edge between kids and adults, as well. Comic books in the '70s and '80s did that.

It's this generic, homogenized line of comics that DiDio is pushing (referred to in Adrian's article) that's the problem. Too much editorial control and too little creative freedom for authorial voice. "Hellblazer" is too mature, but Shazam is too kiddy....so, they have to take away anything that makes these characters unique, and you end up with some watered-down, uninteresting, teen-friendly Constantine, and a "grim 'n' gritty" Shazam.

• Upvote 1

I'm saying it most certainly isn't written for 45 yr olds, having seen 45 come and gone now a few years, and me not being the sharpest peanut in the turd, if none of it can interest me (and I once spent half an hour trying to fold a piece of paper as small as it would go), in other words I might be considered easily amused by some, then what the fuck is it aiming for? I liked Batman before the change, I liked - ugh, I'm drawing a blank - but I used to read several DC titles and now not one unless you count Vertigo. So whatever I'm saying, the gist is that whatever they did to increase readership seems to have backfired among many of its former readers. And the word I would use along with generic is unimaginative to the point where it seems like they are grasping at anything they can think of and shoving it in a book. If that last sentence makes no sense, I mean that their story telling is so banal that they don't seem to edit the ideas they come up with, they include all of them and most ideas suck until you work with them for a while, bounce it off others, workshop it. They seem to literally be writing the first thing they think of and sending it straight to the letterer, bypassing the entire editorial dept.

This fall Justice League of America becomes......Justice League Canada. Yes, really. DC is copying Marvel again and poorly. Remember when some Marvel heroes, lead by USAgent, left for Canada to form Omega Flight, after the bad guys took over? Same thing here.

BTW, Adam Strange is coming to the New 52.....as a Canadian, eh. Lemire, you are testing my patience.

:blink::shrug::icon_rolleyes:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=47481

"At this point, everyone knows DC is screwed. So, at this point, we might as well just do as many random things as possible before the higher-ups tell us we have to do another Crisis."

"Wait. Didn't DC say no more Crisis?"

"This is the New 52. This is the New 52 Crisis, totally unrelated to any prior Crisis."

They really are throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. No rhyme or reason.

I've never cared much for Lobo, aside from that one episode of Superman TAS, but he doesn't deserve that.

• Upvote 1

Is that not one of the rejected ideas for Lobo?

Bleeding Cool has some pics, and notes that one as a rejected design (I think - can't get the link here).

That said, the one they list as final isn't much better and still the same distance from the Lobo we know

But then again: I really couldn't give a toss about what they remake Lobo as.

No. It looks like the official version. The rejected ones were displayed, and they all looked a lot like the old Lobo's design.

I really can't stand Lobo. His shtick got old really quick.

But....

"The Main Man"? It looks more like his new catch-phrase should be something out of The Twilight franchise. Are we sure this isn't I, Vampire with a gun?

I don't know. I'm still pretty upset that Rann has been replaced by Canada...snicker.

He teleports from Michigan to Ontario using a Zeta-beam.

"Where am I? What strange new land is this?" "Canada." The First Earthman on Canada:Adam Strange!

Ha! You think JL Canuck is bad?

Have some of THIS

picture of mincing, smoke umbrella, scrawny, cheekboned, something-or-other

Ahahahahahaha. Ahem, sorry, I will tr . . . ahahahahahahahahahahaha

No. It looks like the official version. The rejected ones were displayed, and they all looked a lot like the old Lobo's design.

Well then, either Newsarama or Bleeding Cool is wrong.

BC have a different version as the new one, and lists that one as the 3rd reject

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/08/23/the-new-52-gets-a-new-lobo-and-its-not-what-you-think/lobo_d-_kr/

Hey! Guess what, true believers? DC did something stupid today!

They pissed off a lot of comic book retailers.

My comic store owner (yes, he belongs to me!) was trying to explain it, but he was sort of in the dark, probably because he didn't read Comic Shop News, who managed to explain it better than DC Comics link through Diamond, apparently.

Next month is Villain's Month, DC's big event. Well, they're cutting all orders for their Villain's Month book, sometimes by up to 30%.

Curtis (comic store owner) said that he ordered 30 copies of one title, and they sent him a message saying he'll only be getting 16 now.

Basically, DC underprinted all of their Villain's Month books because they have 3D covers. DC actually expected that they would get LOWER number of orders than what they received. Way to believe in your product, boys!

They quickly went into face-saving mode for CSN by saying that DC will "no longer meet demand for speculators". Nice spin! Except, what if you got a lot of new readers who were sampling your comics to decide if they wanted to continue reading them? Aren't you spiting new fans?

Of course cynics will argue this is a way to ensure high sales, as there's expected to be a shortage of books, with quick sell-outs on the first day. So, speculators will be out en masse trying to grab up as many copies as possible.