Shawn

The Leaden Age of the new 52 - DCU thread

Now what are you reading?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Justice League

• Justice League of America (Johns & Finch [#3])
    • Justice League (Johns & Frank [Johns & Lee])
    • Green Arrow (Lemire & Sorrentino [Krul & Jurgens])
    • Katana (Nocenti, Someone & Senkiewicz [#3])
    • Vibe (Kreisberg, Woods & Parsons [#3])
    • Aquaman (Johns, Pelleter & Parsons [Johns & Reis])
    • Wonder Woman (Azzarello, Akins & Green [Azz & Chiang])
    • Flash (Buccelato & Takara [Manapul])
    • Savage Hawkman (De Falco, Bennet & Thibert [Daniel, Bonny & Tan])
    • Firestorm (Jurgens & McCarthy [Harris & Van Sciver])
    • Earth 2 (Robinson & Scott [#11])
    • World's Finest of Earth 2? (Levitz & Kitson [#11])
    • none of these
  2. 2. Superman

• Action Comics (Diggle, Daniel & Batt [Morrison & Morales])
    • Superman (Lobdell & Rocafort [Perez & Merino]
    • Superboy (De Falco, Silva & Lean [Lobdell & Silva])
    • Supergirl (Johnson & Asrar [Green, Johnson & Asrar])
    • none of these
  3. 3. Lanterns of Many Colours

• Green Lantern (Johns & Mahnke [same])
    • Green Lantern Corps (Tomasi, Pasarin & Hannah [same])
    • New Guardians (Bedard & Kuder [Bedard & Kirkham])
    • Red Lanterns (Milligan & Sepulveda [Milligan & Benes])
    • none of these
  4. 4. Batman

• Batman Incorporated (Morrison & Burnham [#10])
    • Batman & Robin (Tomasi, Gleason & Gray [Hurrah The Same Team!])
    • Batman (Snyder, Kubert & Hope [Snyder & Capullo])
    • Batman The Dark Knight (Hurwitz & Van Sciver [Finch & Jenkins])
    • Talon (Snyder, Tynion & March [#7])
    • Detective Comics (Layman & Fabok [Daniel & Winn])
    • Batgirl (Simone, Sampere & Cifuentes [Simone & Syaf])
    • Batwoman (Williams & Blackman [same again, gotta love the Bat Family])
    • Catwoman (Nocenti, Sandoval & Tarragona [Winick & March])
    • Birds of Prey (Marx, Molinar & Cifuentes [Swerczinski & Saiz])
    • Batwing (Nicieza & Fiorentino [Winick & Olivier])
    • Nightwing (Higgins, Booth & Rapmund [Higgins & Barrow])
    • Red Hood & The Outlaws (Lobdell & Rocafort [Lobdell & Rocafort])
    • none of these
  5. 5. The Good, The Dark and The Ugly

• Swamp Thing (Soule & Kano [Snyder & Paquette])
    • Animal Man (Lemire & Pugh (Lemire and someone I foregot man, because STEVE PUGH!)
    • Justice League Trademark (Lemire, Fawkes & Janin [Milligan & Janin])
    • Constantine For Children (Lemire, Fawkes & Guedes [#2])
    • Phantom Stranger (Dildo, De Matteis, Cannon & Ha [#7])
    • Sword of Saucers (Marx & Andreyko [#7])
    • Dial H (Mieville, Ponticelli & Green [#11])
    • Demon Knights (Venditti & Chang [Cornell, Neves & Albert])
    • none of these. Not even the good ones.
  6. 6. The Uncategoricals

• All Western (Gray & Palmiotti, Moritat [same])
    • Death Stroke (Jordan, Salazar & Hanna [Higgins & Benet])
    • Suicide Squad (Glass, Johnson & Florea [Glass & Rudy]
    • Team 7 (Jordan & Alixe [#7])
    • Threshold (Giffen & Raney [#4])
    • none of these
  7. 7. Young Justice

• Legion of Super Heroes (Levitz, Giffen & Koblitz [Levitz & Portela])
    • Stormwatch (Starlin, Guichet & Trindade [Cornell & Sepulveda])
    • Teen Titans (Lobdell, Barrows & Ferreira [Lobdell & Booth])
    • The Ravagers (Nelson, Guara & Rapmund [#11])
    • none of these
  8. 8. The New Ones

• Green Team (Baltazar, Franco & Guara [#1])
    • The Movement (Simone & Freddie Williams [#1])
    • none of these
  9. 9. On the following scientific scale, how do you feel about all this DCU hokum right now?

• definitely Animal Man
    • mostly Batman
    • probably Constantine
    • rather Didio
  10. 10. Are you downloading these off the Freehadists?

• all
    • some
    • rarely
    • none

The Batman series staring Adam West & Burt Ward gets a DVD release.

:boogie:

You say that like it's not the pop culture event of the year.

• Upvote 2

Multiversity #1-Now that's more like it. I absolutely loved that comic. Easily the best comic of the month. It reminds me of why I love comics all over again. Morrison in top form. We got some inklings of A-grade Morrison during Action Comics, but this is classic meta Morrison.

I can't wait for the next story, and I don't find myself feeling that way about comic books very much anymore.

If you like crazy ideas in your comics, where you feel like you've read an entire year's worth of plot (by today's comics standards) in one issue...if you liked books like Alan Moore's run on Supreme...buy this book now.

• Upvote 1

Multiversity #1-Now that's more like it. I absolutely loved that comic. Easily the best comic of the month. It reminds me of why I love comics all over again. Morrison in top form. We got some inklings of A-grade Morrison during Action Comics, but this is classic meta Morrison.

I can't wait for the next story, and I don't find myself feeling that way about comic books very much anymore.

If you like crazy ideas in your comics, where you feel like you've read an entire year's worth of plot (by today's comics standards) in one issue...if you liked books like Alan Moore's run on Supreme...buy this book now.

That makes me very happy! The previews look amazing.

I was told by our mutual friend Rogan, that if you liked Morrison's Final Crisis and Seven Soldiers of Victory, then this is for you.

Yes, we're friends on Facebook. He was having a cosmic comicbook orgasm over Multiversity. It's kind of contagious. :laugh:

UGH Roganovich would be one of the few, if not the only, reason for me to sign up on The Book of Face.

• Upvote 1

today i got my hands on a tpb in germany of swamp thing collecting 19-24 and annual 2.

there is one issue with john and pardon me but the rest is decent, but john is just badly written.

i mean he is stupid enough to drink shit, but he is still prepared to fuck swampy. in nu52 he is always written as an obnoxious arse.

the rest was ok i guess, still have to do some digging for the original stuff (moore and so...)

today i got my hands on a tpb in germany of swamp thing collecting 19-24 and annual 2.

there is one issue with john and pardon me but the rest is decent, but john is just badly written.

i mean he is stupid enough to drink shit, but he is still prepared to fuck swampy. in nu52 he is always written as an obnoxious arse.

the rest was ok i guess, still have to do some digging for the original stuff (moore and so...)

Ook that Whisky Galore story was fucking awful.

I liked Soule's two parter with Scarecrow but also used that moment to quietly exit stage left.

That makes me very happy! The previews look amazing.

I was told by our mutual friend Rogan, that if you liked Morrison's Final Crisis and Seven Soldiers of Victory, then this is for you.

Am I allowed to quote myself?!? Anyway...

It's all what Christian and Rogan have said it is. There's just so much enjoyable inside comic nerd stuff. Yet, it's also a good setup for a BIG HUGE cosmic throwndown story. I really hope that some of these worlds/one-shots can spin off into series. It's rather cool that there's a threat so serious, it threatens literally EVERTYHING, and none of the DCU New 52 people are part of the team. Subtle, Morrison, very subtle.

I only hope its half as good As the previous series. I mourned the original series the most whem it was wiped for Nu52.

The pre-52 Blue Beetle and Booster Gold are back, baby! Also, that pre-52 universe is actually still around....sort of.

http://www.newsarama.com/22109-blue-beetle-booster-are-back-the-pre-new-52-blue-beetle-booster-gold-are-back.html

They will join up with Justice League 3000, it's about a JL in the far future, but it's the pre-52 future!!!

Maybe the writer's hedging bets in the hope that it'll get re-retconned back again before too long?

Either that or: "Fuck off with this shit. I'm writing a proper 3000 that follows on from comics that are worth a stuff, not all of this preposterous arse dribble. If the continuity has all this crap in it, I don't want any part of it."

• Upvote 1

I tried reading Justice League 3000, but dropped it after the first issue because I couldn't make any sense of it. It read like Giffen on his off-day, when he writes some incomprehensible plots. I was hoping to like it, it being DeMatteis and Giffen, but it wasn't what I'd expect from those two authors...and it leaned heavily towards Giffen over DeMatteis in the content.

Based on what I read, it seemed to be set in the New 52...but it was far future, so who knows.

Morrison is going to release a handbook of the 52 DC Multiverse, so that should shed light on exactly what alternate worlds still exist.

Whichever worlds Morrison fancies writing about, or used to enjoy comics set in, I'd imagine. Though he'll probably want to keep his revamp of the Fourth World stuff from Seven Soldiers and Final Crisis in there rather than the Kirby version. (What has been done with that since?)

DC's December things.

A new Robin shows up. Secret Six is back!!!! Multiversity continues it's awesomeness with Capt. Marvel. Constantine meets himself and does God knows what. Blue Beetle & Booster Gold are back (the cool versions). Darwyn Cooke does a ton of AMAZING variant covers!!!! Seriously, go check them out. Batman: Endgame starts, no idea what's about, Snyder & Co. aren't talking. Deathblow gets a trade...huh?!?!

80s Blue Beetle gets a trade!!!!

Unwritten: Apocalypse comes to an end. :sad:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=55536

When danger strikes, call S.O.S. The Society of Superheroes.

Doctor Fate as pulp styled, mystical sort of Doc Savage, along with a demonic looking Abin Sur, Lady Blackhawks, The Mighty Atom and Anthro the Immortal Man. And it was great to see Chris Sprouse back. He needs to do more stuff.

YES YES YES I NEED MORE OF THIS! It was all the happies.

Morrison has made it so any of these one-shots could be spun off into series. Get to it DC.

Green Arrow #35 - sigh. I know Kreisberg & Sokolowski (they of Arrow fame) mean well & love the character. That's clear. However, it's like they've ignored nearly everything Lemire built up, masterfully from scratch, to make it more like the show. I LOVE the show but this a comic, I don't want them so close. It's like they keep saying "hey! Look here!!! It's _______ you love from the show!!!! In comic form! That's cool, right? Right."

Nope. The best part is Oliver telling Bruce Wayne & Lex Luthor to get lost in regards to proposed business ventures. The art is.....instead of the amazing, next level art of Andrea Sorrentino, there is that blah, not so properly planned DC house style these days. In summary, I really miss Lemire & Sorrentino. We'll always have Arrow.