Sign in to follow this  
A. Heathen

Marvel vs DC - The Tale of The Tape

IN A FIGHT TO THE DEATH, WHO WILL WIN?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which publisher is your favourite by instant, fanboy, gut reaction without thinking

2. 2. Which publisher is your favourite in terms of long term history?

3. 3. Which publisher is your favourite right now?

4. 4. Which publisher currently has the best writers in their "universe"?

5. 5. Which publisher currently has the best artists in their "universe"?

6. 6. Which publisher currently has the best stories?

7. 7. Who *would* win in a fight?

But on another forum someone posted a poll if you prefer Marvel to DC. I found it funny that so many people had a definitive answer. My attitude is: it depends on who is writing what title and when? Right now? Image is my fave. Last year? Might have been Marvel, DC before that. Depends.

You should do that survey here.

I think there's an affinity to the characters and the past stories, I would still favour DCU over the Marvel Universe, but editorial and writers seem way better on Marvel's books.

I really miss the history, the legacy of DC characters. Everything from Robin growing to Nightwing & Batman to Wally West becoming, arguably, a better Flash to JSA inspiring generations of modern day superheroes. All gone (mostly)

I think there's an affinity to the characters and the past stories,

This is quite true. But I found out early on not to buy books based on the character alone. Depends on who is writing them. I don't think a lot of people who read Marvel share this sentiment, however.

Marvel has a nice roster of talented creators working for them. They have for a while now.

Hickman on Avengers.

Fraction on Fantastic Four.

Aaron on Thor.

Gillen on Iron Man.

Remender on Uncanny Avengers and Captain America.

Waid on Hulk and Daredevil.

We'll just quietly ignore X-Men and Spider Man....

Those are all internet darlings, and most of them are doing good work on those books.

Now, look at DC. They had a few big names when they started the "New 52", but by the end of this month, they'll even have lost most of those names. Not that they were doing very well creatively to start with.

I believe Marvel is allowing for less editorial interference on their "Marvel NOW" books.

And, what early-90s guys does Marvel have? They pick up all of Image's "hot new writers" and quickly get them under contract.

I don't understand the bad mouthing of Marvel.

I haven't had a lot of problems with Marvel's creators since the Jemas days, when he started to bring in names like Morrison.

Then, they still had good creators after Jemas left, they just had all those stupid cross-overs, but that still left a lot of top quality books on the fringes, like Guardians of the Galaxy and Incredible Hercules.

And, right now, Marvel seems much more concerned with talent and stories. I think Marvel, Image, and Dark Horse are all looking pretty good at the moment. DC, on the other hand, is just dire, and Vertigo being cut down to like four books isn't helping either.

• Upvote 1

Christian, you are right. I should have thought harder than I did. I can't think of any 90s Image guys working at Marvel. At DC, there's been Liefeld, there's still Harras (Marvel I know), Lee, Brett Booth, Ian Churchill, Lobdell, Scott Clark (RIP).

I went all Marvel, and gave the last choice to DC to be nice.

They've got Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, and the Great Satan (nee The Didio). Marvel's only got Thor and Wolverine.

I could went with either as far as artwork. I don't think anything is wrong with the art at either, but gave it to Marvel because their colours aren't on default "Spring" (nee gaudy).

I absolutely love Marvel. I got into the history of DC for a time, but it couldn't last compared to Marvel.

My first comic was a Claremont X-Men. I probably would never have fallen in love with comics if it weren't for 1970s and 1980s Marvel books.

I own every Marvel book from the 1960s, 1970s, and 95% of the 1980s in some form.

Most of my pull list is made up of Marvel books, and has been since about 2006.

If it weren't for a few titles from Gaiman, Moore, Morrison, and DeMatteis I probably wouldn't have given DC much of a chance. They were a powerhouse during the 1980s though.

But, in the end, the origin of the Marvel Universe, in canon, is based on Robert Howard's mythopeia, and you can't beat that!

I had to vote DC all the way, despite them making a right pig's ear of their universe with the New 52, because I only buy 2 Marvel titles (DD ongoing and DD End of days) so I can't really judge the rest of their line.

I don't really consider history when taking a favorite. I think Marvel has a much richer history and expanded universe.

I think DC is hard to look at favorably at the mo with this New 52 business. But I might always and forever take DC over Marvel for one reason: Batman.

Now having said that, what drew me back to comics as a young adult was the Vertigo imprint. At the time (early 90s) I don't think Marvel was doing much for adult flavored comics, and DC was beating them on that front in both Vertigo and the regular titles. I tried to get back into the Marvel characters I used to love (Punisher as an example), but they were being written very poorly at the time. So when some of the DC/Vertigo writers made their way over to Marvel, I'm a Marvel fan all of a sudden, because the books were finally being well written (imo). Now that those writers are no longer at either company, you see more Dynamite, Dark Horse and Image comics in my pull list these days.

When taking the history of it all, DC wins, hands down. They have the most iconic, world renowned & longest running characters in the business. However, right now they are criminally misusing most of those characters.

Marvel of late has been working hard to cultivate their characters. This is mostly due to making them notable properties for film & television. But DC has done the same in the past.

Right NOW: Marvel

History/Nostalgia: DC

I think there's an affinity to the characters and the past stories...

Not from the current editorial staff there isn't.

With Lot 13 having just ended, and my costumed super hero palate not very palatable, I'm currently free of both publishers (except for Unwritten, almost forgot). I voted Marvel for the writing, DC for the art (with no disrespect for Mr. Carey, he's just outnumbered stuck there at DC), but I'll take Image in every one of those categories if offered. Image has so much more to offer to me as a fan than either of the dinosaurs.

I've always found Image's whole "we're a packager not a publisher" schtick offensive: it's the easiest thing in the world to cultivate new talent when you don't have to pay them until their comic's on sale and the revenue from that comes in.

At least the big two (and Dark Horse. And IDW. And most of the indies) actually pay their creators a page rate up front.

To be honest, the only reason I knew that is because a small press publisher was complaining to me about it, but that was quite a while back. They might have changed their approach since.

At least the big two (and Dark Horse. And IDW. And most of the indies) actually pay their creators a page rate up front.

The creators get paid up front? Christ, now I know why so many comics are late.

• Upvote 1

To be honest, I could not give a single fuck about how and when companies pay their people. Put out a quality comic and I will buy it.

If that is the case, I can sort of understand why they would not pay upfront. Example: Marvel knows most of their properties will sell, and rather well at that. But if someone like...say...Nick Spencer want to do a mini-series, there's less guarantee of success. If that makes sense?

Also, one great benefit of working for Image (and Dark Horse, mostly I think) is the creator gets complete rights to that property. Rather than Marvel hiring someone to do work on a character they own. Like with the Walking Dead; Kirkman, Moore & Adlard don't have to get a thing approved thru Image in regards to the TV show, toys, games etc. It's all them.

Yep. That's a huge thing, Shawn.

Working for Dark Horse and maybe Vertigo might be better, but if I want to create my own comic and own that work, then Image looks rosy, no matter how they pay for my work.

I might get huge paychecks from Marvel or DC, but there's close to zero chance they have any interest in my own creative vision, and are only interested in my writing one of their established properties.

It goes a way to explaining why Image has been doing so good of late. They're more likely to take the chances on undiscovered talent or oft-kilter concepts.

• Upvote 1